Fabia130vRS

M05(RA SPEC) build, and my other M-Chassis

So I have bought on the end of 2019 a M05 chassis I have built here to M05ver2 spec.

the pictures dont work any more...

I am using a different hosting service now. anywas... that build above originally was a M05 Fiat 500 kit that got split to parts and I bought the chassis so cheap, I also bought the m05ver2 chassis parts and converted it to a m05ver2... that means I have a almost normal M05 in spares.

this is it, the M05ver2

M20SnNP.jpg

qnRUjqq.jpg

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCPYBEIoBSFXyq4

now on a M02 chassis, the m05ver2 has a Nissan Silvia S14 body

6cQzZtK.jpg

So here it goes, after the m05ver2 was finished, I bought a parts lot on ebay as it had the original Tamiya steering its for the M05ver2 and normal M05 Yeah racing motor mount with big heat sink... I have also left over speed gears and RA uprughts... thats a direction I am going.. Also carbon reinforced front and rear lower suspension arms.

a few pictures of the process by now:

Chassis by now:

tYbgtHA.jpg

mZEsn3M.jpg

on the Inside I am using the first gear next to the pinion, from 3 racing in 35T, with a 20T pinion mounted. Yeah racing motor mount aluminium for the stock M05 with oversized heatsink.

so I dont forget

QNax0uu.jpg

y0gJ9o3.jpg

k8fDM9z.jpg

I put up the other day a topic I am looking for a servo buckle for the m05, and some c, d and b chassis parts...

I remebered I have the buckle somewhere as my M05ver2 has the hop up blue one. So lets fit the servo in with a blue alu horn as I dont have the correct 25T horn for this kind of servo.

2vBVbyj.jpg

I decided to install this caron reinforced arms onto this M05, my M05ver2 dont needs them as it has the ver2 arms set.

nice and stiff

OPzJDAN.jpg

pAIjLo6.jpg

these are RA uprights and C hubs same as in the rear.

BKZZs5r.jpg

The shocks are Tamiya OIL dampers, but the seem like a older model like a FF01 or so?

on order I have

Jaz riders flat diff cups, and drive shafts with outer joints.

Tamiya B parts (steering parts)

Tamiya D parts (rear damper mount, rear suspension plate, upper rails)

The only thing I am missing for now are the rear body mounts.

they fit of a M01, M02, M03, M04, M05 and TA04 from my expirience.

PLEASE HELP

• Like 4

Looks like an interesting build!! 😉  I'm hoping at some point to have enough spares to build another whole Car. 

35T Crawler Motor is an interesting choice... However, with the 20 Tooth Pinion and if you use a 3S Lipo, that's going to be really FUN!!  Also, I'd leave the Servo Arm you've got! You'll have much better Steering. It's similar to what I've got on mine and I'm very happy with it. 

...... Servo Savers are from a bygone era of 1kg, plastic geared Servos!! 😖 That, and on enclosed Wheel On-Road Cars, they're really no longer necessary. 

..... I'd still use a High Performance Servo Saver on Buggies, due to the speed and vulnerable, exposed Front Wheels. Kimborough Servo Savers are the best, because they don't flop about even with no load - like Tamiya's do.

Sadly, Body Posts are one of the few spares that I don't have. I'm Sorry I can't help with that. But if I hear from anyone, I'll send them to you!!

7 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Looks like an interesting build!! 😉  I'm hoping at some point to have enough spares to build another whole Car. 

35T Crawler Motor is an interesting choice... However, with the 20 Tooth Pinion and if you use a 3S Lipo, that's going to be really FUN!!  Also, I'd leave the Servo Arm you've got! You'll have much better Steering. It's similar to what I've got on mine and I'm very happy with it. 

...... Servo Savers are from a bygone era of 1kg, plastic geared Servos!! 😖 That, and on enclosed Wheel On-Road Cars, they're really no longer necessary. 

..... I'd still use a High Performance Servo Saver on Buggies, due to the speed and vulnerable, exposed Front Wheels. Kimborough Servo Savers are the best, because they don't flop about even with no load - like Tamiya's do.

Sadly, Body Posts are one of the few spares that I don't have. I'm Sorry I can't help with that. But if I hear from anyone, I'll send them to you!!

Thank you.

right now on the pictures I have a 17T LRP brushed motor, dont really have any plans for this chassis, just finiah it and see what it will become.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

......dont really have any plans for this chassis, just finiah it and see what it will become.

Sometimes that plan makes the most versatile and Fun Cars!! 👍👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Sorry, now by reading my post again, I happend to understand that reference.

with 35T I mean like tooth not turns. Basically the M05 has the 3 gears as in pictures abovec the one that touches the pinion has 3 options, standard 37T, 3racing 35T and 33T.

in my m05ver2 I use the 33T and here a 35T gear.

28010-4.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:42 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

The only thing I am missing for now are the rear body mounts.

they fit of a M01, M02, M03, M04, M05 and TA04 from my expirience.

PLEASE HELP

The M-01/02 body mounts have a hexagonal seat to mount to the chassis, the M-03 up uses a square mount.

1 hour ago, berman said:

The M-01/02 body mounts have a hexagonal seat to mount to the chassis, the M-03 up uses a square mount.

Good enough :D didnt know that, havent taken it apart.

• Like 1

awaiting a few parts now for this build.

Part no. :

51390 B Parts

51392 D Parts

Jazrider steel gear box axle outer joint

Jazrider steel swing drive shaft

waiting...

on the M05ver2 I have fitted a different reciever and this is the current condition.

PXnusDm.jpg

eWA3fDd.jpg

WLRv9sA.jpg

DSQXqbg.jpg

• Like 2

Also the standard M05 build had some build process today.

B8hQ4Ce.jpg

y8Vc4CZ.jpg

The steering parts arrived, assembled and working. It looks like a car more and more.

AzYT5MQ.jpg

Also battery holders.

pdQBopM.jpg
vEqvprW.jpg

still needs to be taken apart once the upper chassis rails arrive.

• Like 3

While waiting on the chassis rails and rear suspension plate... I decided to fiddle with the electronic a bit.

The brushed esc and 13T motor went out of my M02 and straight into the M05.

The M02 got a 90s/00s LRP 17x2T motor but not esc yet. (with 18T pinion 0.6)

lqjTy4E.jpg

AS for the M05, I fitted the reciever to test the steering and I was 1mm off and 1,5mm on the other side for the turnbuckles.

now trimmed and adjusted correctly. The Transmitter I will be using for this car is a Abshima 2.4Ghz AFHDS protokol.

VorRcLK.jpg

a video of it working.

https://i.imgur.com/BgjhSWL.mp4

with esc in place, what I like about this esc is, its a 60A brushed one, with capability of 3s with switching  pins.Also its got a nice holder for the on of switch.

e9mrqmc.jpg

done for now.

QdSAxLX.jpg

• Like 3

Another part arrived this morning... already installed.

1 step closer to finish. Now I wait for the chassis rails still....

DCwBUd9.jpg

• Like 2

So the last two days I was aware my last M05 chassis parts are arriving. So I started preping everything and taking the chassis apart, as per manual source all necessary screws and it was tight... but I have them all. 

mKxNQFo.jpg

the differential is ball raced, except 1 850 bearing, there is a bushing. Will work fine but I will keep it in mind once I get that bearing to take apart and inspect lube everything. 8 1150 bearings would be necessary for the wheel hubs, but I hope it will benefit from  bushings in offroad.

Ls70aED.jpg

rails mounted to the front

rG0STS5.jpg

Dropped that rear suspension plate in and screwed everything up. Finally... 

faHv73s.jpg

And here it is finished. I made video of suspension travel and the other video is of the run in, I left the motor running on a 2s battery on minimum throttle inout for 30secs, put some oil bearing on the shaft and ran it again 30sec. 
fYRrI5w.mp4

7VOZeox.mp4edit: now with sound

0dJic20.jpg

bsaTcAu.jpg
no scratches, never run :D carbon reinforced arms. RA uprights

rYw5jp1.jpg

The car has Tamiya oil plastic dampers of a TL01 so they are 55mm instead of m chassis 50mm.

z497P5H.jpg

also the tires now are 55mm so that seems kinda low. In my wishlist I have the rally block tires.

here it is compared to my M05 ver2 with touring tires

tczVuhT.jpg

a30rwIk.jpg

So my plans further are...

I have 2 NiMh batteries in the mail, 2x Ansmann 2300mAh 6 cell and a 1A NiMh charger for them.

next I still need rear body mounts.

and I need the RA mudguards.

stay tuned

• Like 4

I tried the M01 Mini body on the M05RA and it looks so good. But really tight fit, I could trim it a little bit. 
It just took its spot on the shelf.

the idea is to redoo some stickers on this body and polis it a bit and get a M01. Would not mind to keep it on the M05 RA... if it works put.

mXJdXo0.jpg
DqqmZcf.jpg

dvH6If7.jpg
the rear tires stick out a bit, the rear toe angle is now at 1.5 or 2 ? I believe with 0 toe it could fit better.

HwSwWHV.jpg
UUEwL9s.jpg
b0JHZWD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Mini looks GREAT!!! 

With my M05, I've found that running an 850 Bronze Bushing is actually more DURABLE than the tiny Ball Bearing. I just make sure to keep extra Lube in the Gearbox. It's been fine screaming on 3S!! 😜

• Like 1

Today to the build has been added a 1600mAh LRP NiMH battery, in fact two! But only one goes in the M05RA, the other one goes into the M02 Abarth. 

so the problem with round shaped batteries is solved! 
ZvgU98X.jpg
9A2Qshc.jpg

JUkRcQw.jpg

i had a LRP 5000mAh NiMH but sold it with my M03RA back last year. I really like the looks of the LRP batteries, they have a racing touch to them.

next on order are

rear body mounts and fron bumper 51391

tamiya-c-teile-radaufhaengung-m-05-mf-01

M05RA inside fender and front skid plate 51426

tamiya-chassisschutz-set-vorn-m-05ra-514

:D

Front skid plates, front bumper and rear body mounts installed .

w6EjJ9Q.jpg
44QCLgx.jpg

decided to keep them clear not painted.

cY2tDCs.jpg

0CvzUrr.jpg
P6miNO6.jpg

orderd transparent protection film for this chassis, should look good with the transoarent skid plates.

0jNaeAS.jpg

also in the next basket we have a 58427 Fiat 500 225mm body, so I rebuild the chassis to 225mm wheelbase. that’s actually my favorite.

hqdefault.jpg

Its comes painted and without side mirrors. But looks good and goes well along my Fiat 1000TCR Abarth. I believe the only thing I am

missing is the 58444 to have a complete Tamiya Fiat collection?

(This is a nice collection on the front page https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=94064

A longshot comes from RCMart, suspect to have these items by April.

51427 Rally Block M chassis tires

51665 Black 11 spoke rims

so it will be a Fiat 500 RA :D like rallycross? But why not.

• Like 2

A small update while we progress.

The M05ver2 was build to 225mm WB now, to suit the new body. It also asked for longer body mounts.

XrCVw4z.jpg

Obviously a Fiat fan.

H0qWCOQ.jpg
4rGhFj8.jpg

9rJpMqO.jpg

I7BteVJ.jpg

bUsYupa.jpg

the M05RA is waiting for rims and rally tires.

Would like to buy a italian body for the RA but not sure if there os any except the Alfa Romeo Giulia to suit 225mm WB.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

The car has Tamiya oil plastic dampers of a TL01

On 1/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, Fabia130vRS said:

The shocks are Tamiya OIL dampers, but the seem like a older model like a FF01 or so?

I must say I am most intrigued by your oil dampers. How did you convert them from friction dampers? Or did they come already converted? I have several sets of these floating around that I don't use because I thought they were only capable of friction damping. If you could show your oil damped setup for them, that would be brilliant!

17 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I must say I am most intrigued by your oil dampers. How did you convert them from friction dampers? Or did they come already converted? I have several sets of these floating around that I don't use because I thought they were only capable of friction damping. If you could show your oil damped setup for them, that would be brilliant!

I forgot to edit. I recently have found out they are friction dampers, to be honest, I never knew of such. 
I greased them up inside?? Not sure how they should work.

but since I am trying to make a robust rustical appereance, bushings in the wheel hubs, brass bushings in the steering, grease dampers would not leak and are not necessary to maintain so often. It terms of Rally driving. Correct me if I am wrong thanks

4 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I forgot to edit. I recently have found out they are friction dampers, to be honest, I never knew of such. 
I greased them up inside?? Not sure how they should work.

but since I am trying to make a robust rustical appereance, bushings in the wheel hubs, brass bushings in the steering, grease dampers would not leak and are not necessary to maintain so often. It terms of Rally driving. Correct me if I am wrong thanks

That's a pity - I thought there was a way of turning them into oil dampers.

As far as friction dampers go, they are pretty good. The rubber tube inside them makes them capable of some actual damping, certainly more than the Pogo Stick style things that you get with a TT-01 for example.

I haven't tried greasing them. I would be concerned that dirt would enter through the unsealed gap between the body and the shaft and mess them up inside, but like I say, I haven't tried it, so I don't know if this would actually be an issue.

Please let us know how you get on. It would be interesting to read of your experiences with them.

22 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

That's a pity - I thought there was a way of turning them into oil dampers.

As far as friction dampers go, they are pretty good. The rubber tube inside them makes them capable of some actual damping, certainly more than the Pogo Stick style things that you get with a TT-01 for example.

I haven't tried greasing them. I would be concerned that dirt would enter through the unsealed gap between the body and the shaft and mess them up inside, but like I say, I haven't tried it, so I don't know if this would actually be an issue.

Please let us know how you get on. It would be interesting to read of your experiences with them.

As far as this build is concerned, every part is new and the car has only been test run. I think it will see only some mild driving no offroad action as I want it to be scratck free. Havent had something new in a while yet. :D 

put a ballon on the car, inspired by the 90s rain packs. For recievers.

q9L3OGy.jpg

• Like 1

Found a gap in the chassis halfs of the M05RA, some engine gasket putty was the solution to keep debris away from the gears.

K4Uw1mC.jpg

hwzjWYJ.jpg

Today wheels arrived, for the M05RA.

It does not say to use foam inserts... but I used the ones I had laying around anyway.

lIpot6n.jpg
qPHt7B7.jpg

F8A7sNO.jpg
Tya0Ah2.jpg

d7PIRep.jpg
KHTr4GM.jpg

8wdoXJJ.jpg
NvVDzvp.jpg

GJxDTdS.jpg
w8SMQHN.jpg

still never run, now waiting on the clear under chassis protection film. Done for now... will choose a body and paint it hopefully this year :D 

• Like 2

Chassis protection sticker arrived today and installed 

I thoughts it will be some soft material but actually this is pretty tough material and should protect the chassis really good

Sanded the bumps and polished the plastics too 

8pwYukS.jpg

GGyN90C.jpg
ZUeQa4l.jpg

lgd1g7r.jpg