OCD

R.I.P. MF DOOM: Rapper and Tamiya Fanatic

Not sure how many of you were familiar with his work, but the man was a huge influence for the rap world and a highly respected artist.

He was also a real deal Tamiya fanatic:

"favorites of his collection [...] Tamiya, including a buggy, ’80s Toyota Hilux, Jeep Wrangler and first-gen Ford Bronco"

https://jalopnik.com/remembering-mf-doom-legendary-rapper-and-rc-car-enthus-1845983230

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

May him rest in peace.  It seems he was only 49 years old.  I wonder if he became another victim to Covid19.  

• Like 1

Remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name :(

Love all his projects, super soft spot for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force stuff too. Interesting man, a great mixture of brash, bold yet shy and insular. Had no idea he was a Tamiya fan, new level of respect for the guy. 

Fairly close to when he lost his son a few years back I think. 

Sad all round, it's a mixture of MF DOOM and Children of Bodom in the playlist now. 

• Like 1

RIP I also was a big fan of the Gingerbread man and Mad Villain 

also did not know about the Tamiya enthusiasm 

• Like 1

RIP to a certified legend. Was born in Ladbroke Grove and made his debut on 3rd Bass “The Gas Face” in 1989. The first album with his group KMD (which included his brother Subroc who also tragically died in a road accident) “Mr Hood” can’t be recommended highly enough

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JUS75 said:

RIP to a certified legend. Was born in Ladbroke Grove and made his debut on 3rd Bass “The Gas Face” in 1989. The first album with his group KMD (which included his brother Subroc who also tragically died in a road accident) “Mr Hood” can’t be recommended highly enough

I remember when I was 12-13 years old watching "Yo! MTV Raps" and being mesmerized by KMD. Not knowing where to buy the album or get a bootleg, I'd record the audio on my SOUNDESIGN cassette/turntable/radio receiver combo with a 75-300ohm coaxial converter hooked to the TV cable feed. I inadvertently made scores of mixtapes before mixtapes were a well known thing.

Really bummed about this. I hadn't seen him perform since 2007 and regret not going to more of his shows. He was brilliant to watch perform live as well. Pouring one out 🍺-_-

• Like 1