Sign in to follow this  
Collin

(solved) Spectrum 2.4 GHZ issue

I have no issue with the same RX unit (receiver) using brushless.

About newer RX units, my TX module can only do the DSM protocol, which does limit me to this few receiver.

You say unless running Savox, do they drain so much energy? It looks like even my SRT CH6012 Coreless Servo is pretty thirsty.

I am a bit in a dilemma. I wanted to meake things easier and got that nice Ko Propo radio gear which I really want to use and I think the Mars 1 can not take any other 2.4Ghz modules except this DSM spektrum. I have four of this sr201 receivers and three of them seems to work fine with nitro/brushless/brushless.

Easies solution would be, I get rid of my nostalgy and the brushed setup in once. This motor with this ESC runs like woooop and would be a pitty to get rid of it. Also the modern steering servo is a nice contrast and I want to keep it. :huh:

Now I think I cant solve the problem with that UBEC and components I have at home. I can buy a BL combo but I would ever ask myself, what was the issue of this glitch. Just for the technical aspect I want to solve this. What do you think if I try to get a HW1080 ESC? They should handle the motor, they have 6V5A internal BEC. They are not vintage but thats my personal problem.

6 hours ago, Collin said:

You say unless running Savox, do they drain so much energy? It looks like even my SRT CH6012 Coreless Servo is pretty thirsty.

I am a bit in a dilemma. I wanted to meake things easier and got that nice Ko Propo radio gear which I really want to use and I think the Mars 1 can not take any other 2.4Ghz modules except this DSM spektrum. I have four of this sr201 receivers and three of them seems to work fine with nitro/brushless/brushless.

Easies solution would be, I get rid of my nostalgy and the brushed setup in once. This motor with this ESC runs like woooop and would be a pitty to get rid of it. Also the modern steering servo is a nice contrast and I want to keep it. :huh:

Now I think I cant solve the problem with that UBEC and components I have at home. I can buy a BL combo but I would ever ask myself, what was the issue of this glitch. Just for the technical aspect I want to solve this. What do you think if I try to get a HW1080 ESC? They should handle the motor, they have 6V5A internal BEC. They are not vintage but thats my personal problem.

Forgot you might be limited on the Spektrum protocol.  :(

Savox is known for pulling a lot of amps.  Most sites have a warning on their servos about the amount of amp draw they have.  Typically it's assumed with those servos you will need 5A internal BEC with the ESC to avoid issues.  They do have some servos which don't pull as much power.  I'm using one of those in my Hotshot and it works just fine with TBLE-02S.  I used the SR6000T receiver in that one.

I do have a ESC with a 3.7A internal BEC that is in my XRAY XB4.  It's using Protek 106T with a SR215 receiver.  I would think that any ESC with an internal BEC of 3A would be fine unless being paired with one of the "problem" Savox servos.  Granted, there might be other servos out there which pull just as many amps but Savox is the one I've seen the most complaints around. 

• Like 1

Okay, new page in this book.

Got three working ESCs,

1) LRP F1 Pro
2) LRP IPC V8.1
3) GM V12

spek_002.jpg

spek_001.jpg

Well,  GM V12 seems to be the winner. First of all, I only did a quick soldered loom but with both LRP ESCs I even got brownout when using the UBEC while giving gas. I dont know how this could be? The LiPo is charged to storage voltage but this still need to be enough juice to run for a bit.

Anyway, I will do a propper installation tomorrow and give it a bit more time to run. I will report.

Soon I rund wild and crazy :blink:

Also with use of the GM ESC (now propper soldered) I have brownouts (green LED on RX is off) when throttle up.

But, its only from the stand. When the motor is spinning and I dip the throttle, everything is just fine. Shure, the motor/ESC drains most energy when acceleration from zero. I tried two differend 12x2T mototors, its the same with both of them.

What makes me so curious, that it drains so much energy in the moment, that even the 5V/5A UBEC is going down. :(

Its a bit sad, I have four very nice brushed motors, the INDY600, the GM V12. Maybe best to cut the line, selling all this stuff and buying a propper Toro BL combo. :unsure:

Update: I put the UBEC on a seperate shorty Lipo and as expected, no glitches. Measured voltage between +/- of the Lipo which feeds the ESC/motor. Is going down for about 0.3 - 0.4V to 7.1V minimum. Compared to my 13.5T BL combo which drains 0.07V thats a lot.

I cant put a second LiPo on board, thats ridiculous :lol:

@Mahjik

@LongRat Any advice?

Holy Moly, that was a journey. I did it. :D

I think, at the end it was the 5V/5A UBEC. Meanwhile I got another one with 6V/3A and this one just works. Maybe it was not only the ampere, sometimes +1V can do the difference.

Final setup: Servo and UBEC directly to the LiPo bananas, disconnecting red wire from ESC wire to the receiver, to not mix up both BEC circuits.

My Dyna Storm definitly earns the name "Electro Buggy" now. :lol:
spek_006.jpg

spek_007.jpg

spek_008.jpg

spek_009.jpg

Guys thanks so much for listening to my problem, giving advices and not giving up helping me. :wub: I already had some BL equipment in my ebay basket, now I can stay with collected equipment, I am so glad.

• Like 3

I applaud you for the perseverance in getting to the bottom of this.  Whether it is the specs of the old UBEC or (I think more likely) some sort of fault with it, you have solved the issue.  Most people would have given up, well done.

This is especially good as your electronics are very nice, you don't see a lot of GM V12s now.  Hope you have fun with it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much, yes, it was annoying and no, I dont like to give up or doing compromises on this tech issues. There is always a solution, you just need to find it : )

Well, the GM V12 is a nice side effect, as I thought the Indy 600 was faulty. I really like it, seems like head to head with my beloved Ko VFS1.

Now all this need to be tested on the track, but I am very confident it will work.

Startet to collect some ESCs now and got three different GM V12. Can anyone ell me whats de difference? The Masami Edition is double high and obviously have some more layers of FETs...

spek_001.jpg

GM_V12_01.jpg

GM_V12_02.jpg

Sorry, I don't know the difference between these two.