Hello and Happy New Year to all!

I'd like to go brushless on the cheap with my TT02b plasma edge II and 2016 Blackfoot. I've read here that a 13.5T motor with a TBLE02s is a good match. Could I realistically drop in a brushless motor in these cars without doing any further upgrades (prop shaft, gears, etc.)? I do have an MIP ball diff on order for the Blackfoot already. And which motor would you recommend? Thanks!

• Like 1

If you already have the TBLE-02S then a 13.5T sensored brushless motor is your best bet like you say. If you don't have the ESC yet then I would buy something else that is programmable. Trackstar 80amp turbo, SkyRC TS120 are both worth looking at. Get the programming card to match if you go down that route.

I ran one in my TT02B and the rear diff ring gear started clicking pretty quickly. You have some options to fix that.

GPM make a metal ring gear which I think screws onto the standard case,  you probably want the metal diff pinion to match it too.

The DF02 diffs have metal gears and drop right in, you need the gears and the case, and you have to file down the diff pinion a bit to fit.

The other option is just to buy a heap of standard gearsets as they are really cheap and the car will run quite a while with clicking gears.

As for motors, look at Trackstar from Hobbyking or Surpass Rocket from Banggood. The Surpass are probably better, the new ones certainly are. Version 1 through 5 are available, the earlier ones are cheap and they get more expensive as you get the later ones, basically choose your price point as all will be great in a TT02B. I use the V4S and V5R in my race cars and they are as fast as anything else around.

You also will need to gear up for a brushless motor, they have a lot of torque. When i out a 13.5T in with the kit 17T pinion the performance was about the same as the torque tuned. Went up a few pinions and it became a rocket.

The Blackfoot should handle the 13.5T just fine with the MIP diff.

• Like 1

13.5 is relatively aggressive for either of those vehicles, particularly without upgrades.  I suggest a 17.5 either in TBLM or Hobbywing.  The gearing and shafts in those cars were designed in the brushed motor and NiCad era when the power of LiPo and 30k+ RPM was not a threat to non-FRP plastic drivetrain components.  You’ll break far fewer parts with a tame-ish motor and still be able to kick up a respectable rooster tail.

@Jonathon Gillham @SupraChrgd82 Thanks for the good advice! I did some research and searching and narrowed it down to the Rocket 540 V2 17.5T. I'm curious though, how much better performing would this motor be compared to a Tamiya 23T TZ or RZ super stock? The price is about the same and I think my TBLE-02S supports them too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantomRC said:

@Jonathon Gillham @SupraChrgd82 Thanks for the good advice! I did some research and searching and narrowed it down to the Rocket 540 V2 17.5T. I'm curious though, how much better performing would this motor be compared to a Tamiya 23T TZ or RZ super stock? The price is about the same and I think my TBLE-02S supports them too.

The 23T motors were used in the Super Stock which is now 13.5T. I have the 23T Super Stock in a Top Force and Super Astute and they are plenty fast. They are out of spec for the TBLE-02S but I do know people who run them without issue. The main thing will be gearing is different. The 17.5T will need an FDR of about 5.5 in the TT02B, the Super Stock about 8 at a guess.

Brushed motors require maintenance too, so factor that in. Brushes and the comm needs cutting every so often.

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The 23T motors were used in the Super Stock which is now 13.5T. I have the 23T Super Stock in a Top Force and Super Astute and they are plenty fast. They are out of spec for the TBLE-02S but I do know people who run them without issue. The main thing will be gearing is different. The 17.5T will need an FDR of about 5.5 in the TT02B, the Super Stock about 8 at a guess.

Brushed motors require maintenance too, so factor that in. Brushes and the comm needs cutting every so often.

Right but for some informal brushless 17.5T running the stock gearing shouldn't be too much of a limitation?

2 hours ago, phantomRC said:

Right but for some informal brushless 17.5T running the stock gearing shouldn't be too much of a limitation?

Go to the biggest pinion you can. It could also be worth changing to standard 2.2" wheels as that will change the gearing too. I would expect it to be disappointing on kit gearing. A 13.5T would be better unless you get the high speed gearset and Yeah Racing motor mount to get gearing more suited to a 17.5T motor

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Go to the biggest pinion you can. It could also be worth changing to standard 2.2" wheels as that will change the gearing too. I would expect it to be disappointing on kit gearing. A 13.5T would be better unless you get the high speed gearset and Yeah Racing motor mount to get gearing more suited to a 17.5T motor

Well you convinced me to go big or go home! So I'll order a Rocket 540 V3 13.5T spec brushless motor and I'll replace or upgrade parts as needed. I think it will be a good learning experience.

• Like 1