Mechanic AH

Beater F1 project and questions about F103. Need some education.

The goal for today was to look at the rear bits. I'm not familiar with Tamiya F1s so I wanted to look, particularly, at what was inside the right wheel. I think everything looks in decent condition for its age. I think I need to at least replace the pressure disk since it diff balls have already created a groove. It seems like a very easy and simple chassis to work on. Quite enjoyable (driving it would probably be a different matter).

MechanicAfterHours-1040557.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040561.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040564.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the right wheel broken down. I think it's quite easier to understand it when you see the real thing vs the diagram in the instruction manual. Now I understand it better and it's much simpler. All the internal parts seem in really good condition.

MechanicAfterHours-1040565.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040569.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040571.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040575.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040578.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1040589.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

nice lot.

I would need the rear carbon plate (the worst condition possible)

I want to make a dyno, I have everything except the rear plate.

@Mechanic AH

I can send some plastic inserts of  1 size if you want

edit: with correct bearings

Thanks! That's really nice and cool of you :) to do. I think after breaking it down I might be ok for now--now that I'm seeing the parts.

10 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Thanks! That's really nice and cool of you :) to do. I think after breaking it down I might be ok for now--now that I'm seeing the parts.

I also have the thrust bearing thats in 1 piece if neccessary, these you have are more kit and year correct, not sure if the 1 piece are considerd hop ups

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I also have the thrust bearing thats in 1 piece if neccessary, these you have are more kit and year correct, not sure if the 1 piece are considerd hop ups

I did come across those 1 piece ones and I wonder why it switched. Maybe it's more precise

6 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

I did come across those 1 piece ones and I wonder why it switched. Maybe it's more precise

My F103 was in a worse condition then yours when I restored it, (on the end I switched out every but reall every bit). Min was also bought new in the 90s, I bought it from a club member. the bearing was like yours and it was missing some balls. this one is harder to damage and longer lasting I guess

edit: but as said the bearing switches with the evolved F104 from the rim into the diff housing, and the bearing is a standard size 1150 I believe.

interesting to me was also, the diff you buy under number 54158 happens to have a hex diff plate shape, but the F104ver2 diff uses touring car shaped diff plates. Also the exotex diff part 1435BLK uses hex plates.

RBj2HUs.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, Mechanic AH said:

I have tried both types, and have not noticed any differences in terms of precision, however the one piece bearings are more convenient as there are fewer bits to lose when working on the car.