junkmunki

Multiple purchase of the same kit

There seems to be a trend at the moment of people buying 3, 4 and in one case i just saw, 8 kits of the same model.

I am moved to ask why? Whats the point?

The kits that are being bought, are re release, and not likely to be going out of production any time soon, so why on earth would you want to spend what must have been a fair amount of money on that many of the same one?

I have tried to build my collection by having one of each of the models built and perhaps one new in box, but the need to stockpile lots of just one kit is beyond me.

J

Happy new year by the way.

• Like 1

@junkmunki To me it seems like the batches do get sold out, then sellers that like to live with high risk and probably a marginal profit when they can sell Kit on Ebay. 

If you look at Top-Force and Egress to take a few examples you can not find the Re-release many places now, so i believe you could get a good price for them on lets say Ebay at the moment, especially if they have a small difference like colour of the parts etc as they usually have, i dont care at all about this stuff but many do.

The 3 kit purchases are:

1 to keep NIB

1 to build and put on a shelf

1 to run

There are several theories for the lots of kits option:

a.) Investment for the future.

b.) They have 8 kids

c.) They're incredibly poor drivers and need a huge supply of spares.

d.) They have multiple personality disorder and every personality wants one in their own colours.

e.) The other half is a hoarder and they're trying to fill up the space in the house with something valuable rather than 6000 handbags or old newspapers.

:ph34r: :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This is one of my favourite examples from a TC member - looked excessive at the time, but prudent now!

img25685_1218201812728_1.jpg

• Like 2

I normally buy two of each kit where possible, the NIB will be the mint one and the other (say it has a creased box or manual etc) will be built, if I really like the model then I may invest in another nib at some point.

a built buggy untouched on the shelf will always degrade, but is nicer to look at, hold etc.

My favourite buggy is the Thundershot, so I have two rere NIBs (I sold the original nibs), one of these will definitely be built in the future to replace my current shelfer.

My current shelfer will eventually replace one of my runners and the runner will either be retired or sold on, depending on the memories it holds.

When the thundershot was re-released in 2005 I had 12x Nibs (they were cheaper then in general), three went to friends, a couple sold to get other kits and others were built and built again as I got better at painting etc

If I had the money and space I would have many more multiples probably.

The feeling of having a brand new in box kit, ready to build once again is a nice feeling! and helps motivate me to keep one on standby!

I only sell normally to experience a new kit by Tamiya, so for example after I realised I preferred the g6-01 to the Gf-01, I sold all my gf-01's which helped pay for the g6-01's

Edited by taffer
Spellcheck

These new in box is easier to keep, but since i prefer to build it won't stay nib for long.

I think i am a bit of a hoarder sometimes lol! You just buy what you like, not thinking why you need and how many!?

can't understands myself, so don't ask lol. Can't say about the rest why they buy many?

This question comes up all the time (I'm sure someone asked it just a few days ago, but I can't find it).

I can see why those with the money and space would like to buy up to 3 kits.  One to run, one to display, one to keep NIB or for spares.  If you're racing then you might want one box for spare parts, but generally you only break a few specific items which you'll want to keep spares of instead of tying money up in a complete kit just to get one tree out of it.

It seems to me that buying more than 3 kits has got to be some kind of investment, either to break and sell parts or to sell later once values go up.  Sometimes kits are announced, released, then withdrawn again very quickly, and those who didn't get in quick might jump on a chance to buy even if the price is high, but it's easy to get stung (on both sides of the deal).  I delayed my purchase of the initial Novafox re-re thinking it would be around for a long time; when I heard they were being discontinued I immediately found one in stock and ordered it.  6 months later they were selling on ebay for £400, which was madness - I could have made my money back and bought something much better, but I really wanted that Novafox, so I kept it.

Then a while later it was released again, so prices went right back down.  On a whim, Tamiya can completely change the market for investors and must-havers.

I don't so much mind about kit-breakers because sometimes it's the only way to get spares - if Tamiya sorted out their spares supply we wouldn't need them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I normally but two of each kit where possible, the NIB will be the mint one and the other (say it has a creased box or manual etc) will be built, if I really like the model then I may invest in another nib at some point.

a built buggy untouched on the shelf will always degrade, but is nicer to look at, hold etc.

My favourite buggy is the Thundershot, so I have two rere NIBs (I sold the original nibs), one of these will definitely be built in the future to replace my current shelfer.

My current shelfer will eventually replace one of my runners and the runner will either be retired or sold on, depending on the memories it holds.

When the thundershot was re-released in 2005 I had 12x Nibs (they were cheaper then in general), three went to friends, a couple sold to get other kits and others were built and built again as I got better at painting etc

If I had the money and space I would have many more multiples probably.

The feeling of having a brand new in box kit, ready to build once again is a nice feeling! and helps motivate me to keep one on standby!

I only sell normally to experience a new kit by Tamiya, so for example after I realised I preferred the g6-01 to the Gf-01, I sold all my gf-01's which helped pay for the g6-01's

Great, now i what a Thundershot, this kit is new to me (or i did not notice it). I need to keep away from this forum. Coronna lockdown combined with Tamiya Clulb and lots and lots of Internet shopps is a deadly combitation for any bank account. 

2 hours ago, futureworks said:

This is one of my favourite examples from a TC member - looked excessive at the time, but prudent now!

img25685_1218201812728_1.jpg

Was wondering what you meant by this post and then had a quick look on ebay completed listings and saw what they can fetch. Blimey. :o

My reason for buying multiple kits is probably equal parts mass hysteria and stupidity.

When I got back into the hobby the batch of 2011 Avantes and 2013 batch of Egresses were starting to disappear which got me believing they were returning to unobtainium. Which prompted me to buy them on sight, and now I'm stuck with four or five of each. 

Those are the kits I've got the most of, but it's still impossible for me to buy less than two of each. Even though that's just plain stupid as Tamiya has proven they will re release pretty much anything that's already been re released. 

18 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

My reason for buying multiple kits is probably equal parts mass hysteria and stupidity.

When I got back into the hobby the batch of 2011 Avantes and 2013 batch of Egresses were starting to disappear which got me believing they were returning to unobtainium. Which prompted me to buy them on sight, and now I'm stuck with four or five of each. 

Those are the kits I've got the most of, but it's still impossible for me to buy less than two of each. Even though that's just plain stupid as Tamiya has proven they will re release pretty much anything that's already been re released. 

Ahh, that's only whilst people buy four or five at once..... ;) If everyone who wanted one only bought one it probably wouldn't be worth re-releasing them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That I can honestly say I've never done. But must confess I bought three of the Optima, RC10, RC10 Worlds & Cat XLS. The TXT-2 I only bought one of though, so all hope might not be lost. But a beacon for reason I'm not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Generally speaking, there are too many different kits I want to experience for me to blow my limited funds on multiple examples of something. Selling stuff is a hassle, so the idea of making money off a kit is pointless to me. And as I have proven to myself time and time again, I cannot leave any RC vehicle NIB for any length of time, even if I already have one just like it built. I just can't do it.

I do wonder how anyone can buy three or four (or eight or twelve) $400 model car kits who isn't both independently wealthy and single. Even if I had the money to burn, if a crate of 4 of the exact same model turned up on our porch, I'd never hear the end of it...

• Like 9

I’ve only bought 1 of any kit at a time ever. 
though at various times I did accumulate multiple Slashes/ Stampedes on the used market through local trades ( since they are so common and dime a dozen). But the “extra” ones have usually been eventually flipped and or resold.
Also, I recently bought my wife a 1/24 crawler (axial scx24 ) for Christmas and realized it was so much fun I went to my LHS and got myself one this Monday. 
But I guess that counts as multiple RTRs not multiple kits. 

Selling stuff is a hassle, so the idea of making money off a kit is pointless to me. And as I have proven to myself time and time again, I cannot leave any RC vehicle NIB for any length of time, even if I already have one just like it built. I just can't do it

1. Selling stuff is a hassle even when electronic classified ads are free and plentiful. Selling items as a side hustle is still a hustle 

2. I also cannot leave an RC, die cast car or static model kit NIB 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I do wonder how anyone can buy three or four (or eight or twelve) $400 model car kits who isn't both independently wealthy and single. Even if I had the money to burn, if a crate of 4 of the exact same model turned up on our porch, I'd never hear the end of it...

Since I've bought three of some, I'll give you my end of it. For me it probably boils down to two things: 

1. RC's are something I mostly do at the cabin, all my kits except the one I'm building is there. It's where I've got both time to drive them and room to store them. Too much work and other stuff going on at home.  
2. The majority of my colleagues drive Audi RS6 and Porsche Panameras and so on. Being a boring sod I have no real passion for cars and drive a 13 year old Subaru Legacy that I'll continue to drive until it's properly spent. So my expenses are channeled elsewhere. 

And yes, she teases me to no end about the Lego, RC cars, records and record players. And deservedly so. As I said initially, it's just plain stupid that I've bought more than one of a kit. 

• Like 2

darn,  8->12 kits is a bit excessive id consider 2 kits at most. i may get another later on in the future but im not ready for that given how much i put into my first build kit, $600-700 with the kit, spare parts and other related items.

I don't recall ever buying more than one kit at a time. Even when buying multiple cars, for example for kids Xmas presents, they all want different cars anyway. 

I do however have huge stocks of thundershot parts which add up to about 15-20 NIB thundershots (other than shells) but that is because we mainly run thundershots and all my kids have had them as their first cars, they get abused and used constantly so I wanted a good stock to keep them going. I bought most of my parts before 2005 so before they starting re-releasing that chassis line.

While I can see some people wanting a NIB, a shelf queen and a runner, I would suspect most people buying 4 or more of a given kit are just looking to make money by selling them at higher price when stocks run out at the normal retailers. I have seen NIB Terra Scorchers selling on eBay for £50 more than modelsport were selling them for only a month earlier! 

Edit: The weirdest thing though is people selling Schumacher Cougars NIB on eBay for £50-£100 more than modelsport AND they are not even out of production, good stocks everywhere at the cheaper price. Why would anybody pay significantly more than they need to?? Beats me. Do people not bother shopping around? I may pay a few quid more if I know the seller and I know I'll get quick delivery, great packaging etc but £50+ more, not a chance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I don't recall ever buying more than one kit at a time. Even when buying multiple cars, for example for kids Xmas presents, they all want different cars anyway. 

I do however have huge stocks of thundershot parts which add up to about 15-20 NIB thundershots (other than shells) but that is because we mainly run thundershots and all my kids have had them as their first cars, they get abused and used constantly so I wanted a good stock to keep them going. I bought most of my parts before 2005 so before they starting re-releasing that chassis line.

While I can see some people wanting a NIB, a shelf queen and a runner, I would suspect most people buying 4 or more of a given kit are just looking to make money by selling them at higher price when stocks run out at the normal retailers. I have seen NIB Terra Scorchers selling on eBay for £50 more than modelsport were selling them for only a month earlier! 

Edit: The weirdest thing though is people selling Schumacher Cougars NIB on eBay for £50-£100 more than modelsport AND they are not even out of production, good stocks everywhere at the cheaper price. Why would anybody pay significantly more than they need to?? Beats me. Do people not bother shopping around? I may pay a few quid more if I know the seller and I know I'll get quick delivery, great packaging etc but £50+ more, not a chance.

Yep, my first stops for buying new kits is either Modelsport or Fusion Hobbies.

• Like 1

While I've never bought multiples of the same kit on the same order, I must confess to having multiples of the same kit acquired at different times - but I don't think that's really in the spirit of the topic.  Right now I can't even remember if I have 1 or 2 NIB or mostly-NIB CC01s.  I know I have a completely new-built CC01 chassis and I have no idea which kit it came from or when or why I built it when I clearly don't have a body for it to go under.  And I'd happily have more CC01s in my NIB pile for later builds because for some reason that I can't explain, I love building them.

I'd love to have the money, space and hypnotic power over my wife to buy multiples of the same kit at the same time (or even multiple different kits at the same time).

There was one time when technically I got multiple kits at once - it was Christmas 4 years ago, I'd bought myself a Grand Hauler (and my wife wrapped it and put it under the tree) and on Christmas Eve one of my besties came over and gave me his NIB Jun Watanabe Hornet as a thank-you for some help we gave him throughout the year.  So technically that year I got two NIBs for Christmas - the only Christmas in my life when I actually got RC stuff :D

Also I bought my daughter an FTX Outback Mini X LC90 for Christmas this year and I'm so impressed with it I want to buy myself one so I don't have to keep borrowing hers :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, MadInventor said:

The 3 kit purchases are:

1 to keep NIB

1 to build and put on a shelf

1 to run

There are several theories for the lots of kits option:

a.) Investment for the future.

b.) They have 8 kids

c.) They're incredibly poor drivers and need a huge supply of spares.

d.) They have multiple personality disorder and every personality wants one in their own colours.

e.) The other half is a hoarder and they're trying to fill up the space in the house with something valuable rather than 6000 handbags or old newspapers.

:ph34r: :D

They have more money than sense 🤔

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 3:06 PM, markbt73 said:

Generally speaking, there are too many different kits I want to experience for me to blow my limited funds on multiple examples of something. Selling stuff is a hassle, so the idea of making money off a kit is pointless to me. And as I have proven to myself time and time again, I cannot leave any RC vehicle NIB for any length of time, even if I already have one just like it built. I just can't do it.

I would get kicked out 😂

i have bough multiple of some models in the past, mind you it was a Gundam model (i liked 1 particular model design that much) and it was in 3-4 different scales. i also did buy 2 1:24 R33 plastic model kits, i havent gotten around to building yet but both will have different colors.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, nel33 said:

darn,  8->12 kits is a bit excessive id consider 2 kits at most. i may get another later on in the future but im not ready for that given how much i put into my first build kit, $600-700 with the kit, spare parts and other related items.

I said that too, late in 2019 when I got back into the hobby. Just one new car, the restored Sand Rover and the Mini-Z I bought in the early 00's.

I now have 10 cars (8 not built yet) and one truck-thing (a GF6-01).

There are two main reasons I buy multiples. Firstly, I like to have spares. I run all my cars and really don’t like waiting for parts to turn up. This attitude may come from my days of racing 1:10 off-road when I used to be prepared for anything.

The second reason is that when I build a car, I will modify/ paint it in a certain style. eg drift car, rally car, touring car and so on. I will buy a second car to modify it the other way and I buy the same chassis to have spares compatibility. This only happens with a chassis I particularly like.

It is worth pointing out that the first chassis is always bought new but subsequent purchases are most likely second hand from eBay.

• Like 1