Jump to content
Robert5000

TXT-2 what should/could I do with it?

Recommended Posts

I've had a TXT-2 kit happily collecting dust for the better part of three years, until yesterday when I did the grave mistake of popping it open and thinking it would be a fun build. 
To be honest, the mistake was probably googling txt-2 and promptly falling head first down the rabbit hole of mods and dead links. 

My house is more or less bolted to a slope that aspires to be a cliff, so my "garden" is pretty steep with a lot of stone steps, roots etc. And I'm thinking/hoping I could use the TXT-2 to very slowly put around in the garden whilst clenching cheeks hoping it doesn't start rolling down the slope and catapulting into the fjord below. So yeah, I should probably get a crawler of sorts, but I've already got the TXT-2 kit. 

I'm thinking I want

4WS 
speed is probably the enemy seeing where I'll be driving it, but might as well go brushless 
only a mother could love the shell, so that has to go
some new wheels and tires. 

So, dear hive mind, is this possible? Bear in mind I've only built buggies, my technical skills are lacking and my google skills haven't gotten me any closer to an answer as to how to proceed. 

All input/ridicule is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shell makes a lot more sense when you see the inspiration

Bigfoot 18

You can decal a decal set from MCI Racing. Summit decals

I've yet to build mine - reckon it is coming out in the summer when my (mostly flat) garden is going to get a relatively simple monster truck time trial course.

I'm sure someone will suggest bigger wheels and tyres soon.

Have fun and please document the build 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah! I had no idea. Monster trucks has never been a thing here in Norway, so was unaware of its real world roots. Thanks! 

The shell looks enormous, so I'm not sure if a King Cab or Monster Beetle shell would look plain stupid or not, but that general direction is appealing to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TXT-2 is a fantastic truck, also a very fun build.  For 4WS everything needed comes in the box, you'll just need an extra servo and a 4ch radio.  You can hook up the rear steer to a switch or use channel mixing to have it turn opposite the front tires when using the wheel.

As far as power, there are many ways to go and the TXT can handle pretty much anything.  It's not exactly slow with the stock motors so maybe start there and see how you like it?  You can run the stock motos on 3s lipo and it will actually be pretty quick.  If you do decide to go brushless, definitely go with at least a 550 (3650) can size motor in the 3100-4000kv range.  You can also use a 1/8 scale system for some serious torque.

You can upgrade to ClodBuster wheels/tires or any aftermarket wheel/tire set for the Clod easily.  For aftermarket wheels (like the JConcepts Tribute) you dont have to do anything, they will just bolt right on.  If you insist on Clod wheels you can buy wheel adapters or replace the stub axle shafts with Clod shafts.

For the body, pretty much anything that matches the wheelbase will work fine.  I ran the stock body (with Bigfoot 18 decals) for a while, but have put a few other bodies on it and they all look good as long as the wheelbase matches.  Plenty of options out there.  Best thing about a monster truck body is that they never fit perfectly like a street truck body, so you can do a lot of cheating with cutting, etc. to make it look right.  Attached a few pictures of bodies I've run on my TXT-2 so you can get an idea.

Good luck with it, its a tough truck and one of my favorites.  

3.JPG

8.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am about to start building my own TXT-2 this spring. As I try to strategize my collection and have cars for different use cases I am planning the following with the TXT-2:

- make it as fun as possible to run on gravel (roughly 0/16mm) with some man made obstacles like small jumps and what not. I have lot of sport fields with gravel around here but suprisingly few RC cars perform well on those. Either the wheels are too small, the driveline gets destroyed by flying stones and sand or what not.

- 4WS absolutely, just to try it out, can anyhow adjust it as I like with the radio and different profiles where it is enabled/disabled

- keep motor stock, keep upgrade path open to a single brushless motor but likely use my 3S batteries on with the silver cans if the batteries can fit

- possibly most importantly, install a sound module!

- keep an eye on Losi LMT spares once they are widely available if there is nice option for a robust center drive shaft replacement. If not proceed with the Traxxas 5451X driveshaft option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would build build stock.....but not with standard 540's, I built my second one with super stock BZ's, much better!

steel pinions a must, hobbywing dual 880 esc is a great option

order now before you build some servo lead extensions and a y adaptor, they are both cheap but may take a while to arrive, you dont want to get caught out at the electronics stage! ( i did the first time around!)

nice and neat wiring can be done then!

unless you have a first release (with bonus sticker on box) you wont have full ball bearings in the kit, order them now!

Then look for body/wheel options etc....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

The TXT-2 is a fantastic truck, also a very fun build.  For 4WS everything needed comes in the box, you'll just need an extra servo and a 4ch radio.  You can hook up the rear steer to a switch or use channel mixing to have it turn opposite the front tires when using the wheel.

As far as power, there are many ways to go and the TXT can handle pretty much anything.  It's not exactly slow with the stock motors so maybe start there and see how you like it?  You can run the stock motos on 3s lipo and it will actually be pretty quick.  If you do decide to go brushless, definitely go with at least a 550 (3650) can size motor in the 3100-4000kv range.  You can also use a 1/8 scale system for some serious torque.

You can upgrade to ClodBuster wheels/tires or any aftermarket wheel/tire set for the Clod easily.  For aftermarket wheels (like the JConcepts Tribute) you dont have to do anything, they will just bolt right on.  If you insist on Clod wheels you can buy wheel adapters or replace the stub axle shafts with Clod shafts.

Brilliant stuff, thanks!
I'm not after speed, that will only lead to disaster with the use I've intended for it. Will a regular silvercan have enough torque to go pretty much as steep as the truck will allow before flipping over? If so there's no point in starting with a brushless. An 1/8 scale system sounds like the way to go should I need more torque. 

I'm not insisting on anything when it comes to the wheels, I just want to be able to fit some huge chevron patterned tyres as I think they look cool :) Wheels that will bolt on without having to swap stuff or rely on adapters sounds like a real blessing. 

It looks so much better with the other shells on it! I bought a traxxas bigfoot no.1 so my nephews would have something to demolish, I quite like that shell so might be going that route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taffer said:

I would build build stock.....but not with standard 540's, I built my second one with super stock BZ's, much better!

steel pinions a must, hobbywing dual 880 esc is a great option

order now before you build some servo lead extensions and a y adaptor, they are both cheap but may take a while to arrive, you dont want to get caught out at the electronics stage! ( i did the first time around!)

nice and neat wiring can be done then!

unless you have a first release (with bonus sticker on box) you wont have full ball bearings in the kit, order them now!

Then look for body/wheel options etc....

Excellent advice, thanks! 

Will order up asap as I detest waiting on stuff when I've started building. And had no idea I'd need the extensions and y adaptor, so that's really appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least you will have the 'bases' covered!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Precisely, I'm more than capable of screwing up a build on my own so waiting for parts is a nuisance I don't need to slow things down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

Brilliant stuff, thanks!
I'm not after speed, that will only lead to disaster with the use I've intended for it. Will a regular silvercan have enough torque to go pretty much as steep as the truck will allow before flipping over? If so there's no point in starting with a brushless. An 1/8 scale system sounds like the way to go should I need more torque. 

I'm not insisting on anything when it comes to the wheels, I just want to be able to fit some huge chevron patterned tyres as I think they look cool :) Wheels that will bolt on without having to swap stuff or rely on adapters sounds like a real blessing. 

It looks so much better with the other shells on it! I bought a traxxas bigfoot no.1 so my nephews would have something to demolish, I quite like that shell so might be going that route. 

The twin 540s will have enough torque for climbing.  Remember, having two motors does nothing for speed, but doubles torque.  For wheel, go with the JConcepts Tribute Wheels and your choise of JConcepts monster truck tire, they will bolt right on and come with mutliple offset adapters so you can tune to your liking.  

The Traxxas Bigfoot body is nice, but is only a 10" or so wheelbase.  You'll need a 12-13" wheelbase body to look decent on the TXT.  The bodies I showed above on my TXT-2 are around 12.5-13".  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quality content! It hadn't even begun to cross my mind that I'd need a bigger shell -even though you pointed out the wheelbase would need to be correct in your initial post. 

And it sounds like the twin cans will do fine. Excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

The Agrios is the TXT-2, right? 

Yup.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With everything apart for the decals and wheels having arrived I'm ready to start fumbling along this build. Have read what feels like a ton of posts on the TXT-2, especially regarding 4WS, but I'm sure I'm still going to ask a lot of stupid questions. 

First things first, the Clod-tyres are enormous! 

 

IMG_3922.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling Clod tyres enormous while you have a gigantic Lego man next to them :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Yonzariq said:

Calling Clod tyres enormous while you have a gigantic Lego man next to them :lol:

But of course, as you can see it only takes two of them to be half the size of a Lego man -enormous! :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 4:53 AM, 87lc2 said:

 For aftermarket wheels (like the JConcepts Tribute) you dont have to do anything, they will just bolt right on. 

When you say they'll bolt straight on, do you mean they'll actually bolt straight on? Because I've been struggling all evening trying to work out which adapter to use to get it to work. So obviously I've melted my brain and lost all sense of logic :) 

 

 

txt2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opted for a to keep stock motors but ordered a 3S capable Hobbywing esc to run on 3S. Still not fast though :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

When you say they'll bolt straight on, do you mean they'll actually bolt straight on? Because I've been struggling all evening trying to work out which adapter to use to get it to work. So obviously I've melted my brain and lost all sense of logic :) 

 

 

txt2.jpeg

I wonder if the TXT stub axles are the issue?  They are like 1/4 inch wider than Clod stub axles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

I wonder if the TXT stub axles are the issue?  They are like 1/4 inch wider than Clod stub axles.

Either it doesn't work, or I'm officially dim witted, because no matter which adapter I tried there was no way I could screw the nut far enough in on the axle to fasten the wheel. There's a 3-4 mm gap from where the nut is to the wheel itself. 

Also, I'm keeping the I'm dim witted option as a highly likely one :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used two 1150 bearings as shims on each axle so that's sorted. And just when I thought I was going to reap the benefits of my success I discovered that I've done something not sort smart with the four wheel steering as all the wheels turned the same way. Which sort of renders it undriveable. So, one step closer but not there yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly the txt 1 and 2 have longer axles than the Clodbuster which is what JConcepts designed the tributes for. 
 

I think the general solutions are washers between the wheel and nut or buy clod shafts and fit them. Hopefully someone can correct me if I’m wrong. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate this thread has been going for a few months now. 

Spending a bit of time on the body to cut out the grill, cut arches higher etc etc makes a huge difference to the aesthetics. 

To run brushless you only need a single motor and cap the other hole off. This is well worth it. Or dual silvercan with 3s lipo battery. 

Whilst the Clod and Juggernaut are my favourite scale model monster trucks by some margin, the Txt-2 is the best performing of all the tamiya proper scale monster trucks. 

Not a patch on traxxas etc but those focus on performance not scale looks and speed. 

Few pics here. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...