hedge

Sand Rover

I realise that this post won’t age well but I am intrigued. There seems to be a nice one on eBay lots of watchers and what seems like a fair price, yet it’s not been snapped up. Is there no love for this early Tamiya or are those interested like me and a bit broke at the moment?

• Like 1

I bought a vintage SR some years back , It is in great original condition but I'm too scared to run it as they are fragile around the front arm chassis lug and damper area . I also have a restored HB which is also a shelfer for the same reason . So as much as I love them for there simplicity and looks , if I broke them anything it would be costly to replace , and I think that is the reason for people holding back these days and possibly go for a more modern / robust runner or a more technically put together model like a Dyna , or Egress . At this time I guess we all need something to run , even if it is in the garden !!

It was my first Tamiya so I feel connected to it, but and this feels wrong to me I feel more connected to the Sand Scorcher - that I never owned. When I got the Sand Rover my dad took me and a mate to a local church hall where there was a small club. It was here that I saw the SRBs. By the time I could have bought one they where old tech and so I got the hotshot. But I’ve still looked at that one on eBay about 50 times lol

Ebay can be a fickle place, i list a lot of rc stuff there. I can list an item one day, get a single bid and make no real money, but i can list an identical item a few weeks later, and it goes crazy. It just depends who's looking at any one time.

If one person wants it, its not worth a lot, but if ten people want it, its worth loads.

J

I have an original 1983 SR, in 'original' condition - the body still has 1983-era dirt on it! I completely stripped it down and cleaned the chassis. It has broken front uprights, which I replaced with aluminium plate, and it (tragically) has missing teeth on one of the gears (unobtainium) so I really can't run it. It has had one run, just to see it going again and the noise the gearbox made wasn't nice; I'm too scared to run it again in case I strip more gear teeth. I hoping to get some 3d-printed gears to replace the originals for running it.

Full strip down and rebuild diaries are here:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3