I've got my SMT10 together with a shortened wheelbase and am now debating on tires. The more I look at fullsize monsters, the more I begin to think the classic Clod Size tire might actually be too big (or perhaps, in reality, the truck is too small). That's fine as I intend to stick with 2.2s on this build anyway. Currently, I've got some Jconcepts Rangers on there now and they might be close to the size I want. I still think they're a little too narrow but then again, they aren't too narrow for the actual treaded tire they are emulating. That tread is all wrong for a 66" tire monster anyway. I'm debating about Duratrax Munition tires/wheels. Are they any wider? Any thought s or suggestions for new shoes for my truck are welcome.

PS It won't be another Gravedigger. That's just a body I hung on there for looks ATM. I'm also messing about with shock mounting locations too.

20210105_182726 20210105_182828

The tread might not be right for a scale look, but I do like the size and profile of them.

I still have the stock RTR BKT replicas on mine. I’m thinking about new shoes and some mods on mine in the spring. If I go the mega truck/ mud truck route I might consider the Fling King tires. I don’t think that is the direction you are going to go with this build though. 

• Like 1

The Munitions look good OK an SMT10, as tall as a Clod tire but not as wide.  They are probably similar to the Rangers in width so probably not what you're going for if you want similar height but more width.  I actually think the Rangers look really good on there, but I can understand wanting a chevron tread tires, I prefer them as well.  I also agree that most Clod sized tires are a bit too big on an SMT10, that's why I tend to run smaller 2.6 tires on them (Proline Decimators, JConcepts Renegades, etc.)  The Firestorms & Golden Years are awesome tires, but too big for an SMT10 (not to mention the extra weight/stress on those axles).  

I think ther perfect tire for you would have been the 2.2 Proline Destroyers, still not sure why they were discontinued so quickly.  I have a set on an SCX10 based truck and they are a nice size, tread, and compound for a 2.2 monster.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:41 PM, 87lc2 said:

I think ther perfect tire for you would have been the 2.2 Proline Destroyers, still not sure why they were discontinued so quickly. 

After doing some digging for images, I think your right. The 2.2 Destroyers would have had the perfect look. Honestly, the next best thing might be the Axial BKT tires for a chevron tread. They aren't quite as nice looking scale-wise (height to width ratio) as the Destroyers, but better than the Munitions. The more I look at the Duratrax Munitions, the more I think they are way too tall for their width. The Rangers do look pretty nice, but the SMT10 has a nice scale-ish look and I'd like to accentuate it, not detract from it. The Rangers are also kinda big for the 48" tire they are meant to replicate. Maybe not if you make the Clod tire the standard representation of a 66" tire but as a stand-alone 2.2 tire, its big. If I do convert to BKTs, I'll have to build a truck around the Rangers, which makes perfect sense.....to me......not my wife however.

Yea, I dont get what they were doing with the Rangers to be honest.  Such a nice, scale tire but waaaay to big.  I guess they needed to make it right on a 2.2 wheel, but why not just make the wheels 1.7 or 1.9 and have a perfect tire/wheel combo.  I bought a set of Rangers a while back but ended up selling them, just couldnt get them to work right for me (due to the extermely non-scale nature of them).  

Anyway, the Axial BKT tires arent bad at all.  I usually just remove the "BKT" lettering with some brake cleaner as I think it looks terrible, but other than that they are actually a nice scale-lookingchevron tread tire.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I usually just remove the "BKT" lettering with some brake cleaner as I think it looks terrible,

Completely agree. Glad to hear brake cleaner removes those logos. Thanks for the tip. I thought about trying those Rangers on something like a Bruiser since its a bit bigger than typical 1/10 scale and is closer to a 48" mud bog truck than a monster truck, but they are probably too big for even that.

That's an interesting idea, I think they might look really good on a Bruiser.  Don't have them anymore to try, but if you end up mounting them please post some photos.  Have been thinking about putting better tires on mine, the Rangers might be perfect.

Here's some quick pics of a beater Bruiser with the Rangers @87lc2

20210109_085832 20210109_085907

Obviously, the wheels/tires are just "sitting" on there with the Axial rims. The stance is kinda wide but there is a pic of the old blue USA-1 with a similar stance. Also, a Bruiser would need a hex conversion to run normal rims which might mess with require offset as well.

20210109_085535

Here's the Rangers on a stock re-re Bruiser rim. They do fit but are a bit bulgy on the narrower rim. The offset is more favorable though, bringing the wheel/tire in somewhat.

• Like 2

Wow, I love them on there!  I know exactly the photo of the old blue USA-1 on 48s that you're talking about.  I kind of like them on the narrow Bruiser wheels as well, I like the bulge look on these.  Thanks so much for posting these, might have cost me money (have to get another set of Rangers now) :)

Did you happen to take any photos of them mounted on the Bruiser wheels on the truck?  If not no big deal, just think they would look nice on there.  

5 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Did you happen to take any photos of them mounted on the Bruiser wheels on the truck?  If not no big deal, just think they would look nice on there.  

I probably can later. The other Bruiser rims have Masher 2000s silicone'd on them now, but I'm planning on putting the stock tires back on, so I'll mount 'em up and take a pic for you then.

History » USA-1 4x4 Official Site

On 1/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, 87lc2 said:

Anyway, the Axial BKT tires arent bad at all.  I usually just remove the "BKT" lettering with some brake cleaner as I think it looks terrible, but other than that they are actually a nice scale-lookingchevron tread tire

I actual find the stock Axial BKT are a good mix of grip and durability. Work great on pavement but the chevrons still grab grass, rocks , and loose dirt well 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I actual find the stock Axial BKT are a good mix of grip and durability. Work great on pavement but the chevrons still grab grass, rocks , and loose dirt well 

Agreed, they are a nice tire.  Wish I hadn't sold all of mine off, actually have something I'd like to use them for but not sure I like them enough to actually buy another set.  

Its looking like if I go with chevrons, the Axial BKT's might just have to do. The only other option would be Jconcepts Renegades Jr. 2.2s. 

Between the Axial & Renegade Jr I'd go with the Axial as well.  Not a huge fan of the Renegade aesthetics, have only put them on one truck in 2.6".  If I see anything else out there (I'm sure you've already seen everything), I'll let you know.  The only other one I can think of is the HPI Masher tire, but I prefer the Axial to that as well. 

9 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

If I see anything else out there (I'm sure you've already seen everything), I'll let you know.  The only other one I can think of is the HPI Masher tire, but I prefer the Axial to that as well. 

Thanks. I actually have some HPI tires. They are smaller than the BKTs and a good bit smaller than the Rangers. I'm leaning toward the old blue/silver Gravedigger for a body and might just see how the Rangers look with that. The tread's still wrong and chassis's off (unless I go for "the legend" version on the current tube chassis) but it might look a little better with the more vintage paint scheme vibe. Now to decide whether to use the more accurate "Mortician" body (for the SMT10 style chassis) or go more retro and use the "Grandma" body from Jconcepts. I guess it all depends on how accurate I want to be. 

I think that old blue/silver body would look good with the Rangers (or the Axial for that matter), that's a great color scheme on the panel truck.  I prefer the Grandma body for that color scheme as the chrome grille looks the part.  I believe the Mortician is a 13" wheelbase body and the Grandma a 10.5" (I could be wrong) so that's someting to consider, although you can make either look right with a proper cut on the rear section.  

Looking closer, Jconcepts has a '51 Ford labeled "grandma" for the Stampede, part no. 0397 with a 11"wb x 7"w and a '51 Ford with the same 11"wb x 7"w for the SMT10, part no. 0334. Then there's also the Mortician. I'm not sure what the difference between the Stampede Grandma panel and the SMT10 panel is as they share the same dimensions. My SMT10 has an exactly 12" wb now, so they might work. If they fit as good as my old Parma Digger body, I'd be satisfied.

Interesting, they have the same specs as you said but different part numbers.  I see the Stampede version has rear windows, but that might just be decals, can't tell from the photos on their site.  Interesting that the Stamped version is abut $5 less as well.  Wonder if the measurements are off on their site?  Maybe worth asking them what the difference is.  I looked at both and can't really tell...

On 1/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, 87lc2 said:

@87lc2,I finally got the Rangers test mounted on the stock Bruiser rims. They actually look pretty cool. Unfortunately the rears rub the shocks and the fronts catch when the wheels are fully turned. Back in the tire bin they go.

20210216_172551 20210216_172619

That does look good, they look huge on there!  Don't think I'll be modifying mine to make them fit, but thanks for posting.   Did the Rangers fit on the stock Bruiser wheels or SMT wheels without a problem?  Like we've already discussed, they don't fit well on the wheels they were designed for, go figure.  I really like the tire so hopeing to find a use for them somewhere.

9 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Did the Rangers fit on the stock Bruiser wheels or SMT wheels without a problem?  Like we've already discussed, they don't fit well on the wheels they were designed for, go figure. 

Yeah, same issues. It seems a its tire issue, not a rim issue. They rock on the SMT wheels just like the Midwest wheels. They feel a little different on the Bruiser rims, but I chalk that up to them to being bowed inward a bit on the narrower rim. 

• Thanks 1