Dave Double Dex

Ever wanted to see the original Sand Scorcher, Rough Rider and Blazing Blazer in action???

Stumbled upon this link in a classic car forum. 1978 MINT400 tv footage...

https://youtu.be/A3KBfSudM7w

the 1st 11 mins are driver interviews, race footage starts after that, but hey if you remember these vintage RC cars, even the vintage fashion and journalist style will be pure nostalgia.

Im ashamed to say that as a kid with a Rough Rider, the nearest I came to the baja500 or mint400 was the video running in Beatties model shop! 

I had no idea they faithfully copied real race cars, the alternative ‘box art’ car is in this movie clip. Even the sticker sheets make sense now, and if you’re looking for paint job ideas....

of course no you tube or google back in the day...

enjoy!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Love it... I thought car #74 (from 12m26s) looked a lot like the inspiration for the Wild One too!

Jx

That video helped me a lot with my Bel Ray bullet build. Not many photos available online of the older versions.

• Like 1

Wow what a vid. Never realised that some of the original Tamiyas were so close to reality. With hindsight its a pity the Blazer was a three speed. If it had been a simpler chassis it might still be around. I loved the interludes especially the Lotus 7 and the TR7/8. Suprising for an American TV show. Just loved all the sideburns, whatever happened to them!!!

That's awesome, I'll have to have a full watch later.

It brings back so many childhood memories.  I grew up in the south west of England, but my heart was usually in the southern states. I was raised on a diet of American high-octane TV - The Dukes of Hazzard, The Fall Guy, Stunts Unlimited, Knight Rider, Smokey and the Bandit.*  In those shows it never rained, the sun always shone, people lived in jeans and T-shirts and shades and trucker caps nobody shouted "make sure you put your coat on!" every time they went near the door.  All the girls were pretty and nobody walked around with snot hanging out their nose.

If we were lucky there were a few weeks in a year when the ground would dry out enough that I'd get a cloud of dust in the air behind my Grasshopper or my Mud Blaster, and on those days I could pretend I was in Hazzard County or Baja, California, and the car parked on the driveway was a black Dodge Charger, not a faded pastel blue Renault 19.

*one time I was dragged out to my parents' friends place for some reason, and their daughter was watching a film called Chequered Flag or Crash, which is about some crazy off-road race in the style of the Paris-Dakar or Baja 500, and I sat with her and watched it until we had to go home, then I went straight to the TV to watch the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Blissard said:

That video helped me a lot with my Bel Ray build

Nice! I love that look and colour scheme. Refreshing change from the box art. Back in the day I painted my RR like the Marlboro McLaren f1 cars, white with day-glo orange chevrons...I’ve had a few years to grow up since then 😂 

14 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Just loved all the sideburns, whatever happened to them!!!

Ha yup nostalgia-fest. Even the sound track and crackly video takes me back