Beetlemankurt

Weathering the Tamiya 40 foot shipping container

Well, i got a bit tired of my 40 foot shipping container looking 'nice and pristine' as they hardly ever are in real life so decided to do something about it :D.... I didn't want it to be a totally rusty wreck, more of something that's a bit more subtle in appearance but has still been around the block a few times and is starting to show the effects of use and a salt water environment that it would have been subject to. A bit of googling of shipping container images followed....:ph34r:

I'm more used to weathering my RC aircraft and have always used an airbrush to do weathering, that is up until now. A MASSIVE thanks to Berman for putting me onto the Tamiya Weathering Master sets which I had previously seen but could never really see the point of...until now. If you havent used these sets before, give them a shot as they are really easy to achieve good results and are quick to use.

Some of the best effects actually came about by simply experimenting a bit. Because the pigments are suspended in a waxy substance of some sort, you can muck around with them a bit (or wipe it off if you dont like it) and it's not permanent until sealed with a misting of Tamiya semi gloss clear. 

Anyhow, while the pics haven't really picked up the full effect very well, this should give a bit of an impression of how its turned out.

Have a great weekend all!

20210108_172535.thumb.jpg.c4b73c6ef8ef553dca50591fa9f92113.jpgRegards

Kurt

20210108_172726.jpg

• Like 6

For a moment, I thought you had a 12 foot long RC truck in your living room!  

• Haha 1

Ha ha! and what would be wrong with that?.:lol::blink:.....I see what you mean when I look at the first photo again :D

I'm just lucky my lovely Wife let's me take up the dining room table, let alone the entire lounge :)...

Cheers

Kurt

• Haha 1

That's looking awesome mate! Just remember, you can't really 'over do' it. 

There really is no end to the condition some 1:1 containers are in..  scratched up panels, patches, stains, twist marks from not being picked up square, forklift damage, random stickers/marker pen writing from other countries... 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks great 👍🏻 Maybe we will see ‘Covid Container’ pop up sometime in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

For a moment, I thought you had a 12 foot long RC truck in your living room!  

So did I!  the table at that angle looks like the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bit more damage and some patching this morning :D...feels so wrong to scratch up my lovely paint but at he same time oh so right! :lol:..

20210109_112254.jpg

20210109_112322.jpg

• Like 6