Exit13

I need a RE/RE, Audi Quattro Any good?

I’d like to relive my youth via RC Cars, now that I’m back into it. Can you comment on if this is a good car?  Good in my opinion is 1. I can buy replacement parts. 2. It won’t break immediately as I run it around. 3. Is this an off road buggy?  I need a consistent car that goes and grass and street. Like my vintage thunder shot but won’t have me running to eBay to source obscure parts. I had one of these BITD and I have attraction to it (or the other Re re Audi). Or any other less than $200 suggestions for a good runner 

05FAA99F-F186-419C-90CF-EEF43775A317.jpeg

• Like 1

1. I can buy replacement parts.  Yes

2. It won’t break immediately as I run it around. Yes

3. Is this an off road buggy?  No

That body with TT-02 platform is not intended for off road, so it will struggle, if run at all, on grass.  It is definitely NOT recommended if off-road capability is a critical characteristic.

I don't know about that side of the "pond", but in North America, the best resource of Tamiya parts remains Ebay.  The international nature of Tamiya and Ebay makes it far easier to acquire and maintain a healthy inventory of spares.  

That being said, maybe consider other chassis options, such as the XV-01 or DF-03RA.  They better handle off-road, even though accommodating full fendered body options.

The Audi is quite a good car if you want an entry level RC to run on streets and smooth surfaces - maybe very light gravel. Not really if you want to run on grass though. That Audi uses the TT02 touring car chassis that has a relatively low ground clearance.

Although there are plenty of spares and hop ups available for it.

There is a buggy version of this chassis - the TT02B which has slightly improved ground clearance and longer travel shocks etc.

Are you after something that looks more like a scale vehicle? If so you might want to look at Stadium trucks which have bigger wheels and are more suitable for grass

Just so you know southern New England is in North America.  I can go with a buggy. Doesn’t need to be car and technically is doesn’t need to be a re re. I was also looking at the Tamiya 58587 1/10 Scale RC 2WD Off Road Racer DT-03 Chassis Neo Fighter Buggy as recommended by AmPro on YouTube ?  So just asking around. I’ll check those chassis recommendations above. Thanks 

I’ve been seeing “comical” pop up. What’s that about?

Hi Exit13, it's a great car! Love mine and run it whenever I can.

As others have said, it's not a grass runner due to the ground clearance. However, while it is formally listed as on road, mine is quite happy on dirt and gravel etc and looks awesome doing it :D. If you drive it in scale like conditions it's fine. I certainly wouldn't try jumps etc. though.

I did make a couple of mods to help keep stones out which are pictured in the larger thread about this model. I guess it really just depends what sort of driving you want to do and whether you are happy with a scale type of off road experience vs ago anywhere off roader.

Hope this helps

Kurt

20200206_114556.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Hi Exit13, it's a great car! Love mine and run it whenever I can.

As others have said, it's not a grass runner due to the ground clearance. However, while it is formally listed as on road, mine is quite happy on dirt and gravel etc and looks awesome doing it :D. If you drive it in scale like conditions it's fine. I certainly wouldn't try jumps etc. though.

I did make a couple of mods to help keep stones out which are pictured in the larger thread about this model. I guess it really just depends what sort of driving you want to do and whether you are happy with a scale type of off road experience vs ago anywhere off roader.

Hope this helps

Kurt

20200206_114556.jpg

That’s hot!  It looks like you are in Saudi Arabia doing the Dakar rally with Stephane and Nasser Al-attiyah in that pic. I might have to buy one. 

Is the re re as bad *** as the original?  I just found this. Man I loved this car. I’ll need to get the re re

image.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Exit13! I say get one, great fun on loose dirt like this (providing a couple of mods are done as per the main thread to limit loose stones binding the steering) and heaps of fun and very stable on tarmac. TT02 seems to be quite neutral handling wise. Not a whole heap of adjustability but it's a great, simple, no frills chassis that seems pretty hard to break.

As far as it being a 're-re', these two cars dont really have anything similar design wise about them other than them both being Audi Quattro's which if I read you correctly, is the main attraction anyway so shouldn't matter :D...it should still give you the same nostalgic buzz as the Quattro is so iconic. It will be intersting to see though if they ever do re release the original version in time.

The new TT02 is definately more scale though although some prefer the 'big wheel' look of the original Audi and the hard ABS body it came with. Horses for courses I guess. Me, I'm more than happy with the TT02 version and the price certainly ain't bad. :D

Catch ya

Kurt

I was watching this video on youtube the other day.. Seems like the TT02 can be lifted quite a bit and makes a pretty decent rally car.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:15 AM, Exit13 said:

Is the re re as bad *** as the original?  I just found this. Man I loved this car. I’ll need to get the re re

image.jpg

They were brilliant but very odd looking which in my opinion made them even better? (Opel ascona and on the orv chassis was the lancia rally) all 3 I thought looked so cool my personal favourite was the lancia rally 😍

24 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I use it on XV01 chassis and it’s awesome! 

Do you have any pics you can share?  And I feel so foolish as when I started this thread I was not aware that the Quattro Rally was not a RE RE. So even though I have the Audi coming I stand by my original statement - I need a RE RE. Still taking suggestions 

I did mine with base colour of Pearl white. 

To be honest, and this is my opinion, the original re-re was goofy as heck and drove like crap. I recall My friend received it for Christmas and we went outside for a drive, and it would pop a wheelie or flip over. 

This release is a true tribute to an epic rallye car. 

01F0AD68-49E2-4244-BB63-CF134B1E7638.jpeg

24F57DEC-F1CC-415A-ABE2-9D8F18904BF0.jpeg

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I did mine with base colour of Pearl white. 

To be honest, and this is my opinion, the original re-re was goofy as heck and drove like crap. I recall My friend received it for Christmas and we went outside for a drive, and it would pop a wheelie or flip over. 

This release is a true tribute to an epic rallye car. 

01F0AD68-49E2-4244-BB63-CF134B1E7638.jpeg

24F57DEC-F1CC-415A-ABE2-9D8F18904BF0.jpeg

That’s blazing. Yeah I was thinking of slightly altering color from the box art. Still trying to decide whether or not to do so. What other colors would be cool?  Also what list of Mods are a must have for this TT-02 chassis?

I have a TT02 for my son.  I recommend the following

1. Aluminium prop shaft and prop joints

2. Ball bearings kit

3. CVD axles as the plastic ones will wear quickly 

As you start to seek more speed

4. speed tuned gear adapter 

5. Aluminium motor mount , I prefer the Yeah racing version, over Tamiya.

I do recommend making a spread sheet and adding up the cost of the kit and hop ups to see where you land.  Ultimately with a TT you end up spending more than say an XV-01! 

Look what got delivered today!!! On a Nation Holiday no less. Thanks Discovery Japan and Fed Ex.  I’ll tribute this build to Martin Luther THE King!!

C410907D-3946-4546-AD78-273802FDC70C.jpeg

• Like 5

Should I do the body first or build the car?

1082FEC8-C4C5-44F8-BB93-A59B68ED0490.jpeg
im suprised that a driver is not included in this kit?

• Like 1

First thing I'll do is Hot glue to keep the rocks and sticks out of the steering 

5C54AB57-857D-458B-BC39-21CE9EAFCC20.jpeg

I’m going rally car style on this car so I need a little more ground clearance so I file this part down a bit and eliminate part A6

6E4440AD-2EFC-4296-87B3-05A3C550C325.jpeg