Sign in to follow this  
Exit13

Old Falcon and new GT3C and ESC 1060

Ok. I received me new electronics (GT3C and 1060) in the mail this week and I have not touched this car in 33 years. Wish me luck 

image.jpg

• Like 2

That’s it?  Well that was pretty easy. Everything seems fine. Even my old futaba steering servo works. Motor seems faster in reverse but let me get it outside tomorrow to see for sure. Now I guess 4 more speed controls and 5 more FS-GR3E’s. 

3358D870-BFAE-4830-8FF8-CD658E3EB6FF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Motor seems faster in reverse but let me get it outside tomorrow to see for sure.

You might have to reverse channels on channel 2 of the radio. 

51 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

You might have to reverse channels on channel 2 of the radio. 

Can you clarify this?  The tigger is spinning the motor and the knob is turning the steering servo. Also the motor spins in the correct direction. Not sure what you mean. 

37 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

Can you clarify this?  The tigger is spinning the motor and the knob is turning the steering servo. Also the motor spins in the correct direction. Not sure what you mean. 

Does the transmitter have Servo or channel reversing ? 
If so change channel 2 ( throttle ) to reverse instead of normal and flip around your motor wore leads . See what that does . 
modes that make any sense ? 

How would I know if this thing has channel or servo reversing?  I don’t know

image.jpg

After the transmitter is powered on, press the enter button once, and scroll over to the box on the screen labeled "rev". Press enter again, scroll to channel 2, press enter, scroll so the display reads " 2 REV", and press the enter button for a final time to save the setting and press end to return to the main screen. I've also attached the manual which explains all of the features of the radio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah ha!!!  Switch the wires and “reverse the servo”. I got it. Can’t wait to play tomorrow. Thanks Tamiya Club!!!

2C51E729-04F5-4376-A2A4-44BABE502FC0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

Ah ha!!!  Switch the wires and “reverse the servo”. I got it. Can’t wait to play tomorrow. Thanks Tamiya Club!!!

2C51E729-04F5-4376-A2A4-44BABE502FC0.jpeg

I’m glad someone else was able guide you through how to reverse on that transmitter. I was able to troubleshoot am what was probably wrong but not familiar that particular radio. 
I’m so glad this community was able to help. Have fun playing tomorrow! 

8 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I’m glad someone else was able guide you through how to reverse on that transmitter. I was able to troubleshoot am what was probably wrong but not familiar that particular radio. 
I’m so glad this community was able to help. Have fun playing tomorrow! 

I’m thanking you for the idea Dakrat, I then kept at it until I figured it out. And I’m thanking Bash for the manual because this isn’t going to be my only question with this new unit. Seems like this GT3C is going to do a lot more than my old futabas and the manual wasn’t included in the box. So thank you both abs big thanks to Tamiya Club!!

Is the brake working correctly? When you are using forward throttle and put the trigger in the reverse position, it should brake and then you release and apply again to get reverse.

You said it seemed faster in reverse, it's possible to have the motor wires the wrong way and the direction the wrong way on the remote so that the car appears to function correctly but is applying the reverse function to forwards and vice versa.

Easiest way to tell is to make sure the ESC jumper is set to F/B/R and see if the brake is working the right way ie moving the trigger from forward to reverse engages the brake. If going from forward to reverse just gives you an instant jump to reverse and the brake is working when you go from full reverse to forward, then you can fix it by changing the motor wires AND the direction on the transmitter.

Phew that sounded way simpler in my head lol.

If everything is wired correctly then don't worry about it. Most ESCs have a pre-programmed throttle profile so that the power is slightly feathered in off the line whereas reverse is more abrupt but will probably have less power overall.

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Battery voltage 

On the car’s. 7.2V or on the pistol grip’s batteries?

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

On the car’s. 7.2V or on the pistol grip’s batteries?

It’s how much voltage the transmitter AA batteries have left 

3 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

The FS GT3C comes with a It’s own dedicated rechargeable Lipo, not AA batteries 👍🏻

Then that’s how much the lipo has left lol 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Then that’s how much the lipo has left lol 

ok, thanks!  I was certain its not the voltage on the car but I just had to be sure.  In other new I do notice the Falcon w/ the new GT3C and 1060 and new NiHM battery will slow down for no reason that I can figure out and the only way to get it to run full speed again is either hit it in reverse a few times or just keep running it and it will "come back alive"  Not sure what thats all about - maybe my battery/old charger is fail? IDK - my charged batter was measureing over 8 volts so, IDK???  

Also I put the speed control in the thunder shot to see whats doing and this time I couldn't "reverse my servo" because I was on my old futaba equipment and it was faster in Rev again.  So I put it back in the falcon.  - Oh and if I switched the wires then its going backwards at the controls. Maybe there are dip switches inside the futaba?  Either way I have more Flysky stuff coming, so I'll be 100% eventually.  

52 minutes ago, Ministrone said:

Interesting. Are you sure the jumpers on the ESC are set for NiMH power?

Yes but I’ll double check. 

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

1060 and new NiHM battery will slow down for no reason that I can figure out and the only way to get it to run full speed again is either hit it in reverse a few times or just keep running it and it will "come back alive"

Been getting this a bit in my Grasshornet lately too (with HW1060), haven't figured it out yet. It's definitely got something to do with the speed control. Possibly a bad battery connection? I think it helped to unplug and replug the connectors a few times to make sure the inner metal parts were fully seated.

Can someone recommend an ESC that is comparable if not slightly better than the 1060 that correct for my application which is completely vintage Tamiya?  It will be nice to get something different on one of my cars.