Saito2

Tire preservation

I know this has been covered before, but what is recommended for tire preservation? I vaguely remember Armor All and WD40 being a no-no. Was a wipe down with glycerin a suggestion? Any insight appreciated.

• Like 1

I’ve been reading about heating old rubber and wiping with glycerin on motorcycle restoration forums. I was going to ask about old plasticy tires (like my Imex J-Dawgs) and seeing if anyone had tried it. You beat me to it!

Never tried glycerin, that's interesting.  I've had decent luck with original Clod tires by letting them soak in a bath of Simple Green & water for 24 hours or so, and then giving them a good scrub with Simple Green & hot water.  They definitley come out cleaner & softer than they were.  Have done this to quite a few sets.  I actually use SG a lot on new tires, helps get the nasty mold release off.

I have restored vintage tyres by soaking them in glycerin for approx a week, I didn’t heat them first which I will try next time.

I soak them, and rotate them daily.

I reuse the glycerin many times over but find that the more times I reuse it the longer it takes to get a result.

I use a paintbrush and paint the tyres with glycerin, then leave them in a ziplock bag until I use them. I will even paint them once fitted in a shelfer and spin them from time to time

• Like 1

Can I use vegetable glycerin???  A gallon is about $30 on Amazon...

Terry

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Can I use vegetable glycerin???  A gallon is about $30 on Amazon...

Terry

Yes, most glycerin is made from vegetable oils , some is made from animal fats 

I’ll put in another vote for glycerin. You need to leave it soaking, but I’ve had good results.

I follow the same approach as Snappy1.

I’m currently doing a set of Wild One rear tyres, which must be made differently to the older rubber tyres. They are taking longer to dry, the glycerin seems happy to sit on them.

I usually just leave the tyres soaking or drying while getting on with the rest of a restoration.

I took the original tyres off my Toyota 4x4 when it was stripped and rebuilt 6 years ago. The tyres are still in a sealed bag having been liberally coated with glycerine at the time. I should see whether they are still in tact really lol!

So glycerin it is. The tires are currently rock hard and cracking on the outer layer, but oddly overly gummy and sticky on the inside. 

Is a wipe down with glycerin also recommended as a preventative for old tires that are still ok, but I want to keep looking ok?