Re-Bugged

M-05 Chassis to Square Battery Advice Please

I currently have a stock M-05 chassis that I’m looking at tinkering with.

Because of the 2CV body being narrow my LiPo round pack wires bulge the side out.

I believe the main chassis members can be changed to the later M-05 ver 2 Pro chassis that is designed to take Square Packs that would be more suitable for a Square Pack I have.

So does anyone know if it’s a case of just swapping everything over onto the Ver 2 Chassis and away you go or are there some other bits and bobs I would need?

Cheers. 

Motor mount and chassis parts. Mine is converted, I also bought  ver2 arms. But not necessary just motor mount and chhassis parts

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Motor mount and chassis parts. Mine is converted, I also bought  ver2 arms. But not necessary just motor mount and chhassis parts

But not to forget the rear section chassis parts! cannot fit the old rear to the Ver2. chassis section...

And checkout a Ver. 2 manual for fitting the gear spacers correctly!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Fabia130vRS, & @ruebiracer, much appreciated I had a look at the V2 manual online while comparing it to the M05 hard copy manual to check for differences.I couldn’t see much difference, but I believe the motor is mounted in a slightly different position. I’ll have another look before buying bits I don’t need. 

I suppose the best way to improve an M05 is to save & buy an M07 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Thanks @Fabia130vRS, & @ruebiracer, much appreciated I had a look at the V2 manual online while comparing it to the M05 hard copy manual to check for differences.I couldn’t see much difference, but I believe the motor is mounted in a slightly different position. I’ll have another look before buying bits I don’t need. 

I suppose the best way to improve an M05 is to save & buy an M07 😉

Yes, the improvement on the Ver. 2 ist the motor being more in the middle of the car, to equalize front wheel loads and the square battery option. But it´s worth it if you already have an M05! Really improves the performance during hard accelerations on the grip limit. And you can save overall weight by leaving out the big counterweight Tamiya made for the Ver. 1.;). M07 is cool, but unfortunately not available in 210mm wheelbase. So a Ver. 2 is still a good investment, if you want to run 210mm bodies...

That being said, I have 2 Ver. 2, and one M07...:lol:

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

Excellent @ruebiracer 👍🏻, it is a bit weird that the M07 can’t be set at 210mm. Fortunately the 2CV is the long 239mm WB so would be fine.

I have an M08 at 210mm WB which is a lot of fun and just so smooth. Substantially cheaper than a M07 too. You would think they would be about the same price wise?

So if I pick up 54605

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-m05-ver-ii-chassis-a-parts-54605-00059197 

and (probably not completely necessary but, you know) 54606,

and a Ver 2 motor mount,

then everything else off the stock M05 should switch over? Including a standard size servo?

I’ll also probably put some Shocks and Aluminum steering upgrade in the cart as well.

Thanks again much appreciated 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Excellent @ruebiracer 👍🏻, it is a bit weird that the M07 can’t be set at 210mm. Fortunately the 2CV is the long 239mm WB so would be fine.

I have an M08 at 210mm WB which is a lot of fun and just so smooth. Substantially cheaper than a M07 too. You would think they would be about the same price wise?

So if I pick up 54605

and (probably not completely necessary but, you know) 54606,

and a Ver 2 motor mount,

then everything else off the stock M05 should switch over? Including a standard size servo?

I’ll also probably put some Shocks and Aluminum steering upgrade in the cart as well.

Thanks again much appreciated 👍🏻

Is it snowing in Aus? 😄

Yes just the Version 2 A Parts and the motor mount. The downside is you will have to make something to hold the battery in. The V2 uses race tape to hold the pack in. There isn't a plastic end cap for square packs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, berman said:

Is it snowing in Aus? 😄

Yes just the Version 2 A Parts and the motor mount. The downside is you will have to make something to hold the battery in. The V2 uses race tape to hold the pack in. There isn't a plastic end cap for square packs. 

No snow here, but my sister sent a photo of her back yard in Yorkshire, they’ve had a fair bit there, the Nephew had just finished a 5 foot tall snowman

I’m on a bit of a holiday at the mo, RCJaz is my best friend at the moment compared to RCMarts shipping 😉. I find my finger is more drawn to the add to cart/checkout when it’s lubricated with a few Asahi’s.

Chassis, stabilisers, reinforced swing arms, motor mount (& another SRB ball diff) on the way for starters. I’ll see how that goes, probably  upgrade the steering and shocks after another Asahi 🤪.

Im sure I can make a plan for holding the battery in. I’ve got some nice Velcro straps from the Javelin. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, Fabia130vRS said:

You don't need the motor mount, the plastic one still fits.

If you buy the chassis parts, you might need to find some longer screws depending on the kind of servo you are mounting.

• Thanks 1

What do you mean by you dont need the motor mount? Any source?

i just had a look at the ver2 arms and they are out of 1 piece muld unlike the standard arms.

29 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

i just had a look at the ver2 arms and they are out of 1 piece muld unlike the standard arms.

Yes, me of course!

5 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

The stock M05 suspension arms are 2 piece items, I would think they still fit on a Ver2.

But I was quite impressed with the reinforced arms on an M08 build so while I was filling my cart I came across these and thought I’d give them a shot....

https://www.rcjaz.com.au/tamiya-54606-op1606-m05-verii-lower-suspension-arm-set-p-90067568.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DayRider said:

Interesting thred, I was wondering about this myself.

I’ll post up how it goes 👍🏻

I thought I’d found some info on it a while ago but I can’t seem to find it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sosidge said:

You don't need the motor mount, the plastic one still fits.

If you buy the chassis parts, you might need to find some longer screws depending on the kind of servo you are mounting.

I’ve ordered a stock Aluminum motor mount & a Ver2 to cover myself there, they kinda work as a heat sink for brushed motors so at least I’ll have options.

I should have some longer screws kicking around if I need them. 

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

The stock M05 suspension arms are 2 piece items, I would think they still fit on a Ver2.

But I was quite impressed with the reinforced arms on an M08 build so while I was filling my cart I came across these and thought I’d give them a shot....

https://www.rcjaz.com.au/tamiya-54606-op1606-m05-verii-lower-suspension-arm-set-p-90067568.html

They fit of course the other way around, same on m05/m03

I have those 54606 with..

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-m-05-vii-stainless-suspension-shaft-54613-00060316

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 4:38 AM, berman said:

Is it snowing in Aus? 😄

here you can see the printed mounts, they are off a ff01 and cut to lenght.

PWi0QOs.jpg

• Like 3

I’m too late to party, hopefully not too late. I did this to my M05 Renault earlier this year.  One misconception is that you need the V2 motor mount. YOU DO NOT. I used the original kit plastic one on mine

All you need is the chassis, that’s it.

• Thanks 1

Those retainers look good @Fabia130vRS 👍🏻  You’re getting a dap hand at that printing stuff. I don’t have a 3D printer myself.
I did look at the Yeah Racing spring loaded retailer and that might work for me. But I’m going to how my battery sits in chassis first before I do anything as the leads plug in one end at the top. 

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

I’m too late to party, hopefully not too late. I did this to my M05 Renault earlier this year.  One misconception is that you need the V2 motor mount. YOU DO NOT. I used the original kit plastic one on mine

All good thanks mate, for the price of the V2 motor mount I just put in the cart with a standard aluminium  mount as well at the time anyway so no biggie. I did however have a bit of a read through (what must be you) on RC Techs forum about some M chassis chatter that came up on a Google search 👍🏻

Looking on the bright side though, this way I’ll end with enough ‘spares’ to build another chassis 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Why people try to avoid the motor mount I dont understand... its a nice upgrade, cools the motor... I dont want the plastic mount. And I am sure they are not the same the ver2 and the original so thats just hurting my eyes. Keep it as per manual is the cure. :D

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 6:11 PM, Re-Bugged said:

No snow here, but my sister sent a photo of her back yard in Yorkshire, they’ve had a fair bit there, the Nephew had just finished a 5 foot tall snowman

I’m on a bit of a holiday at the mo, RCJaz is my best friend at the moment compared to RCMarts shipping 😉. I find my finger is more drawn to the add to cart/checkout when it’s lubricated with a few Asahi’s.

Chassis, stabilisers, reinforced swing arms, motor mount (& another SRB ball diff) on the way for starters. I’ll see how that goes, probably  upgrade the steering and shocks after another Asahi 🤪.

Im sure I can make a plan for holding the battery in. I’ve got some nice Velcro straps from the Javelin. 

It was a 'dad joke' reference to your rc buying habit snowballing, sorry 😄

Does rcjaz stuff get to you faster? The thing with RCMart for me is the 2 month wait for 'SF EXPRESS' and normally the faster option through FedEx is extortionate. 

Super dry Asahi, responsible for many a wandering finger 😂

On 1/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Those one piece are just one piece arms (I bought those too), Tamiya also do a separate 'reinforced' set for The M05/6, #54614 🙂

RE: V2 motor mount

• For: M05 Ver.II PRO and M05 Chassis variants
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Color: Blue
  • This motor mount moves the motor position 1.5mm toward the center on the M-05 version 1 chassis. On the M-05 Ver.II chassis, it moves the motor 4.5mm toward center.
  • Improves chassis balance and motor efficiency.

Most of us at TamiyaClub will stop reading after the mention of 'Aluminium' and 'blue'... but as you can all see, there is other benefits 😄😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Why people try to avoid the motor mount I dont understand... its a nice upgrade, cools the motor... I dont want the plastic mount. And I am sure they are not the same the ver2 and the original so thats just hurting my eyes. Keep it as per manual is the cure. :D

It’s not about avoiding it, it’s more about cost. I bought my M05 just for the body and had no plans on running it. But then boredom set in so I built it and then the battery issue arose. So I picked up the chassis V2 chassis. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, berman said:

Is it snowing in Aus? 😄

Now I’m more internationally educated in Kiwi, then yes it most definitely is 😉

• Haha 2