Gazzalene

Traxxas TRX4 info?

Sorry to use the swear word but need some advice on a "Traxxas" TRX4.

I am thinking of the TRX4 because due to covid etc kits are getting hard to get.

I need help on the kit because I do not want it for crawling or trailing,i want it for more speed biased use. So I am hoping some one here might have a few answers. I wont ask all the questions in case there is no takers.

But its things like kit choice, I want the build version but one has portal axles other does not. one has 2 speed trans,do I need 2 speed for speed use.

Will add more if any TRX4 owners are here, Thanks

FYI, all of the TRX's have portals.

I've built and own both the Sport and Premium kits, the Sport has a single speed transmission and locked diffs, but no electrics, the Premium has the two speed gearbox and remote locking diffs and all the electrics (except battery) but no body. Both have a 313mm wheelbase.

For speed biased use I'd recommend the premium kit. Recently I tried a Hobbywing SCT 4000KV combo in mine and it was a blast, both usable for trailing and moderate crawling in low gear and as fast as I'd want in 2nd gear.

• Like 1

I had one for about a year, the kit version was a fun build. I loved the look, the stickiness of the stock tires, and the climbing ability but always ended up wanting to make speed runs. I found it rolls easy when turning. I ended up putting it on eBay last May and getting back exactly what I put into it (rarely happens).

• Like 1

The TRX is a fantastic rig, and one of the only crawlers I would even recommend for some 'speed' driving.  It's a really well engineered model and can take a ton of abuse.  The only not do great thing is the stock steering servo, but that's a cheap and easy fix.  Other than that, throw a mild brushless system in it and have some fun.  

• Like 1

I agree with 87lc2 there are so much aftermarket stuff for it that you can build any way you wanted. For me it’s scale stuff and you can easily sink several grand in it if you’re not careful LOL. Also check out rccrawler.com forum then go to specific trx4 sections,  a lot more info there. But it you’re just after speed then Slash xvl, Hoss xvl or Revo xvl might be better suited for what you need 

my error regards the portals, I see it had locked diffs.

Would go with the sport kit,want to use my own elecs.

If I want to go "speed" side am I best to go for 2 speed OR single?

The slash,hoss and revo have never appealed to be.

When you say speed what kind of speed do you have in mind? Because even if some people have got high speeds out of them, you are working against the fundamental design of the car (which is for walking pace operation). Even if you get it going fast, it will be very unstable.