wintersdawn

Holiday Buggy - painting the bodyshell

I am currently building the holiday Buggy re-re and was able to get hold of the red bodyshell to have, as well as the blue.

Anyway, tonight I placed the red bodyshell on the chassis for the first time and not sure I like it.

The manual says the blue bodyshell (and I assume the red is the same) can't be painted. I have some TS-8 Italian red that I think would look great and wondered if the red bodyshell really can't be painted?

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Is it not made of polystyrene plastic or abs like the rest of the Tamiya hard bodies?

It's made of polyethylene :(

1 hour ago, mongoose1983 said:

If you want to go that way, this video might be of help.

Cheers, great video.

After watching, decided it's not worth all the work. I assume the red bodyshell is polyethylene too.

I got the red bodyshell as wasn't sure how much I'd like the original blue, but love it.  Also I dyed the yellow wheels black with Rit which works well for me with the blue bodyshell.

Very interesting thread.  I have one of these on order and was thinking about colors...after seeing this I guess I'll be leaving it blue.  Not worth all the trouble just to paint it and the blue is a nice color.  I just assumed it would be a typical Tamiya poly styrene body.

Going well so far, prefer the black wheels to the yellow, that Rit dye is amazing stuff, thanks to Glenn at Tamiya Legends on Youtube for his video on it. 

Just have to decide on whether to do the bodyshell box-art with all the decals and might do the roof matt black to match the wheels and maybe jerry can's too.

Still a bit old-school so I always have to use a Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC but now have recently switched to 2.4ghz wheel/trigger transmitter and got an Austar AX6S transmitter/receiver set for around £22 delivered and seems ok so far, just get an occasional twitch from the steering now and then when stationary without touching the wheel. 

IMG_5256.JPG

• Like 1

Decided to keep the red Holiday Buggy bodyshell, goes quite well alongside my red Sand Rover/Kumamon Buggy.

IMG_5263.JPG

Looks nice, I think a matte black roof would go well with the black wheels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Looks nice, I think a matte black roof would go well with the black wheels.

Thanks, I have done that for the blue bodyshell and placed it on the red bodyshell just to try it and not sure it works?  I know I should have put it on the chassis to know for sure.

IMG_5271.JPG

Looks great with the black roof, I like it!  I just received my blue kit, not sure what to do with it color-wise with the wheels/roof.  Not going to go through the trouble of trying to paint the body so it's staying blue.  I like the yellow color of the wheels, but not a fan of the DT02 wheel style.  In black they look a lot better.  Might just try to find some different wheels.  

• Like 1

Just saw your blue one, I like that with black wheels & roof also...something to think about.  Are you going to use the stock decals?  Would be interested to see it with them on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Just saw your blue one, I like that with black wheels & roof also...something to think about.  Are you going to use the stock decals?  Would be interested to see it with them on. 

Thanks.  I'm a bit unsure about the decals.  Now the wheels are black and it has an overall dark look I don't think I'll use most of them.  I did consider getting some repro originals but will probably try some of the rere decals for now.

8 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Looks great with the black roof, I like it!  I just received my blue kit, not sure what to do with it color-wise with the wheels/roof.  Not going to go through the trouble of trying to paint the body so it's staying blue.  I like the yellow color of the wheels, but not a fan of the DT02 wheel style.  In black they look a lot better.  Might just try to find some different wheels.  

Yeah, when they said a blow torch is needed to change the chemical structure of the plastic, I too decided it was staying the colour it was!

These are the wheels/tyres fitted as standard to my DT02 Nissan Titan for a possible alternative for the Holiday Buggy.  Or maybe the Carson All-Terrain wheels/tyres.

2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That's why I was curious about the decals, not sure they would look great with the black wheels/roof.  I'll probably end up using them anyway, too plain without them.

I'd really like to find a wheel that has more tire than the DT02 wheels or even the Carson wheels.  On classic vehicles I like to see a lot of tire.  I haven't even opened my kit yet, is the Holiday Buggy just 12mm standard hex?  If so I'm sure I could find something.  I think Sand Scorcher wheels would look good, but they're not hex drive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I like the yellow color of the wheels, but not a fan of the DT02 wheel style.  In black they look a lot better.  Might just try to find some different wheels.  

I wasn’t a fan of the yellow wheels so initially I dyed mine black too. I think the style looks better in chrome though somehow.

A4933D02-3ECF-4CDE-99C9-5E940F35ECE7.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

That's why I was curious about the decals, not sure they would look great with the black wheels/roof.  I'll probably end up using them anyway, too plain without them.

I'd really like to find a wheel that has more tire than the DT02 wheels or even the Carson wheels.  On classic vehicles I like to see a lot of tire.  I haven't even opened my kit yet, is the Holiday Buggy just 12mm standard hex?  If so I'm sure I could find something.  I think Sand Scorcher wheels would look good, but they're not hex drive.

Yes, standard 12mm hex on the rear wheels. Going to have a go with the decals today.

3 hours ago, Ministrone said:

I wasn’t a fan of the yellow wheels so initially I dyed mine black too. I think the style looks better in chrome though somehow.

Now that looks good!  I didn't know they made these in chrome, I'll have to look for some.  They look great. 

Nice that the rear wheels are 12mm hex, are the fronts not hex drive?  

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Now that looks good!  I didn't know they made these in chrome, I'll have to look for some.  They look great. 

Nice that the rear wheels are 12mm hex, are the fronts not hex drive?  

The fronts have bearings both sides and the axle goes straight through.

A bit understated but think it works.  Didn't use most of the brighter decals - yellow or light blue.  Not my favourite job doing the decals, I think its straight and level and so press it down but then discover that its not, had to take 3 decals back off and re-position.  Just the driver/cockpit to finish.

IMG_5291.JPG

Used the 'Forward' decal to cover the holes, fits just right and hopefully works ok with the yellow fog lamp decals.

IMG_5285.JPG