Qed296

Tamiya Williams Renault fw18 f103rs resto

Hi folks, I've posted a few bits around the forum so thought I'd get it all in one place now.

So, the car in question is my late father's Tamiya Williams Renault fw18 f103rs. I bought him this from Beatties where I worked as a surprise Christmas present as he was keen to get into 1/10 f1....I raced 1/10 & 1/12 and he did 1/10 touring cars & he also had a rc10 buggy.

Its been used to its full potential and has the battle scares to show it.

The plan is to return it to its original out the box build spec, Ive got boxes of parts so hopefully the majority of it will be there if not the community can help out. 

Pictures aplenty will be uploaded as I progress so feel free to comment with advice and input...good or bad :D

For now this is how it stands.

20210111_083801.jpg

• Like 4

With what remains of the shell off this is what I have.

I'm not going to clean it as it sits, I'll be stripping it down and do each part individually allowing any damaged parts to be replaced as I go along.

I have found the original shock in the 1st box of parts and have since asked if anybody has 2 of the components to make it good again. The original is a bit chewed over the ball joint fittings.

I think the one shown is a Hop Up item.

20210111_110855.jpg

• Like 2

The shell is past saving and thats what got me onto this forum trying to find one.

Hunting one down was easier than i thought with about 5 in various forms available....it just depended on how much i was going to pay for it.

America answered the call with a full body parts set, there is one available in Italy but the seller wouldn't budge on the price.

20210111_112403.jpg

• Like 3

Focusing on the bits you'll see first I went through 3 boxes of various wheels and tyres trying to find a usable set. 

I picked out the obvious f1 wheels and it looks like an original from the day it was build has survived, there must be 30+ c chassis type (Mazda 767b?) 5 spoke variations as well.

The set on the chassis are ok from a distance but the glue and curb rash are pretty bad and i dout the decals will make them look any better. 

I've ordered a new set and found a bag of unused foams which will hopefully be ok.

20210109_174537.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely need some new screws, nuts and bolts.

Does anybody have a contact that can help me out with individual screws etc etc as i doubt ill find a screw bag and the tubs ive been through are all the same and seen better days.

Cheers

Nice project mate 👍

Where abouts are you based? 

I've a few f103 bits like nuts,bolts and bits. 

Struggling with the photos a bit but looks like it has a few hop ups, damper, spur gear and heights adjustable gearcase for instance. 

Derbyshire....

It has alot of hop up parts as you say....there all coming off and its going back to original.

Formula Car Low Friction Aluminum Damper - 53173

Formula Height adjustable gear case - 53257 (OP257)

Rear axle set - ?????

Formula link type front suspension - 53258 (OP258) not in pic

Upper frp set - 53186 (OP186)

Lower chassis has a faint white print on the underside that ive seen on previous posts....hop up item?

• Like 1

Is the bottom chassis carbon or Frp? 

Not that far from sunny Nottinghamshire then. 

Why back to original? 

Up the reds👍

Is the bottom chassis carbon or Frp? 

Not that far from sunny Nottinghamshire then

Pretty sure its carbon as its got a weave and its thicker than the other chassis I've got.

The other ones are thinner and look to have a dash type pattern.

20210111_215041.jpg

• Like 1

Dont think so, ive got a matching chassis and motor case mount piece in the same pattern and thickness so ill see how they clean up

Yes please....would you be able to post?

Let me know what you want for them.

Thank you

Sure no problem 

PM me with your address 

Productive day, managed to find and order a new D parts spruce some new front hubs/arms and a metal aerial. They also had new tamiya foam front and rear tyres....I thought it wouldn't hurt to have another set.:D

I had tried to order some from a place in Belgium but overnight they stopped sending to the uk due to Brexit dhl dpd and the like have suspended deliveries. Chap replied and explained which i thought was good as they could of taken the money and left them sat there. (Steve - RC9000)

Paints next on the agenda.....Question : is tamiya polycarbonate spray the best on the market or is there another brand with the same colour codes available?

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, svenb said:

Sure no problem 

PM me with your address 

Parts arrived today....thank you again 5☆

Had half hour this afternoon while waiting for some pu glue to dry so thought id start on the motor casing.

Some dust and grease embedded in the plastics corners.

Hopefully all the screws can now be replaced with new as I've been sent a few from forum members and found 5+ unopened bags in various boxes and bags.

20210123_193436.jpg

• Like 1

So as you might of noticed ive done away with the hop up height adjustable casing as i want it to be original when rebuilt.

The plastic had a liberal coating of trf diluted 50/50.

Agitated with a stiff brush and then rinsed off.

Theres a few marks from the tail spoiler on the casing but that won't be seen.

Nice and clean now.

20210123_193500.jpg

20210123_193519.jpg

• Like 1

Looks fab now, hopefully in the next week my new D parts spruce should arrive from Canada. I have got 4 new parts already from that spruce but there abit marked from kicking about in the old tool boxes. Anyway heres the rear carrier built up.

20210124_121800.jpg

• Like 1