Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

How good can one make the Frog?

The Frog was quite a popular competition car here in the States before the RC10. I've mentioned before, the stock one I run is naturally quite bouncy. I'm curious how good one can be made to perform while still using the standard space frame architecture. It has a short wheelbase and adjustable caster, so I do manage to get it to turn in well. The rear shocks need work for sure, being so over-sprung. I imagine the short wheelbase and high mounted motor doesn't help stability either. The other annoying habit my Frog has is its tendency to nosedive over every jump. Can a Frog be brought within striking distance of a stock RC10 6-gear or minimally a Fox? Both cars currently blow my poor Frog into the weeds.

I got the rear on mine to work like butter.  The front is still a either a pogo stick or just dead weight.  My issue with the front of my Frog is trying to get rid of the bump steer.  It is so bad that is causes the shocks to not work, ie the shocks are fighting against the traction of the tires to move back into proper place.  I do like how you can adjust the caster, and I've adjusted slightly.  But its also my Shelfer, so I drive it minimally...

The Bushy D (SBF) rear does a much better job.  The front is also better with the longer arms, and the more upright shocks.  And I've worked out the bump steer issue so the front is silky smooth like the rear...

Fortunately for me, I don't drive anything else, so I don't know any better.  Ignorance is bliss...

Terry

• Like 2

Hard to say as I've never driven an RC10, but I've noticed that when the Frog handling is in the "sweet spot" (softer than stock), the car bottoms out on anything but small jumps. I would say it easily outhandles a stock Fox, but I'm not sure how they would compare with similar work done to the Fox suspension. The Frog definitely takes some getting used to if you're coming from a longer wheelbase car, or rear motor, or 4WD. It's a bit like driving an old Cobra--it just wants to constantly swap ends, and you have to be really smooth with your throttle and steering inputs to keep it from doing so.

• Like 1

I recall my frog BITD (both of them) had major issues with the dog bones popping out. Here I am trying to be better than my older brother who was running a hopped up grasshopper with my frog and my rear end was always fail. I assume you fixed that up already?

9 hours ago, Exit13 said:

I assume you fixed that up already?

I run the re-re dogbone setup. With the stock rear shocks, nothing pops out. If I use softer rear shocks, I'll get the occasional ejected dogbone unless I limit their down travel slightly. I do have several other fixes for this I use on my ORV monsters however. Part of the issue with the Frog's handling, for me, is getting the proper dampening and spring rate since the buggy is light. 

I always thought the Frog's handling was kinda weird. It should drive like a mid-motor car but the motor is so high, I think it makes the rear lose traction. The short wheelbase probably amplifies it. Or it could be the other way around. :D I don't think, drivers being equal, it could outrace an RC10 of the same era.

36 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I don't think, drivers being equal, it could outrace an RC10 of the same era.

thats not the question. the frog is a pre RC10 car and should be compared to e.g. the Scorpion. its advantage over the Scorpion are the weight and the diff and the Frog won championships, e.g. in germany, before the RC10 was launched (at least in germany).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, a.w.k. said:

the frog is a pre RC10 car and should be compared to e.g. the Scorpion. its advantage over the Scorpion are the weight and the diff and the Frog won championships, e.g. in germany, before the RC10 was launched (at least in germany).

I asked this question over at RC10talk awhile back. I realize the re-re Scorpion is better than the original and has a diff, but I can't see how the Frog could best the Scorpion (although that was certaintly the case in Germany) unless the track/terrain was in its favor. The Scorpion could keep pace with the first RC10 in the right hands though the RC10's architecture was clearly the way forward.

7 hours ago, a.w.k. said:

thats not the question.

I thought OP asked if the Frog could be brought withing striking distance of a 6 gear RC10? Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I thought OP asked if the Frog could be brought withing striking distance of a 6 gear RC10? Did I miss something?

that was a rhetorical question for me and i gave the for me obvious answer