ScoTT-02

Newbie help-TT02r and installing servo...

Hello,  my first post on the forum and I need your help please! 

So I decided to buy my first ever rc car (at, cough, 48)and did lots of reading up (including on this site of course) and went for the TT-02R chassis with a torque motor and a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup VIP 2007 body. I eventually plucked up courage to start the chassis build over the Christmas period and it became a bit addictive😁. Learning to decifer the Tamiya manual, learning that if you have hop up parts included you will have other parts left over, the bearings are in fact 3 different sizes and not 2...I questioned why my driveshaft was so 'sloppy' until I found the bearings I had left over didn't fit into the recessed wheel hub mounts. I made mistakes, learnt from them eventually and have got the chassis built...yay! 

I purchased a Radient RS-BS201-PG servo and have tried to mate it up to the servo arm to the steering assembly and I'm really stuck. The manual shows the Tamiya D10 servo saver but then states that I don't use that for other brands. I've a similar looking item (see photo) which came with the servo and tried using that but just can't seat the servo where it's supposed to be and for the blue ball connector on the adjustable steering arm to reach the one on the servo saver - it appears to be to far forward,  towards the steering/ suspension. 

I apologise for any incorrectly used part names and if someone was to tell me I'm a dullard and just need to connect x to y then I'd be very happy as I think I'm going to go mad if I don't get this worked out soon!!😆

I can only post the one photo (file sizes) but tell me if you need more... but HELP!🥴

Thanks, Scott 

16103980002641646658783545645115.jpg

The blue ball connector is likely on the wrong side as the adjustable steering arm cup is facing the other way but it can't be on the other side as that'll be even further away so no chance of connecting. 🤯

16104004089831161472802462523160.jpg

Well, it looks like you are using the wrong part. You should be using the D10 part, it looks like you have the P part on it (which is actually for a TT-01.

So rebuild with D10.

When they say other parts, it just refers to the part that goes onto the servo spline and the screw you use. Not every servo uses the same fitting. Never heard of Radient but it looks like you have found the correct part to fit the splines (most mystery Chinese servos are Futaba fitting).

2 hours ago, ScoTT-02 said:

The blue ball connector is likely on the wrong side as the adjustable steering arm cup is facing the other way but it can't be on the other side as that'll be even further away so no chance of connecting. 🤯

16104004089831161472802462523160.jpg

The cup is facing the other way because you made it that way. Just unscrew the ball cup 180 degrees until it faces the right way, and push it on. Also I agree with @sosidge, I have 2 TT02s and I have not used this servo arm; there must be another one in the box that's the right one. 

Also if the steering arm is too far away from the ball stud, the servo may need turning over so the servo saver is closer to the centre of the chassis, which would need the servo posts un screwing and fitting 180 degrees.

8 hours ago, Matty36 said:

the servo may need turning over so the servo saver is closer to the centre of the chassis, which would need the servo posts un screwing and fitting 180 degrees.

No no, the servo is installed the right way around, he just needs to replace the P2 servo horn with the D10 part instead.

Capture.JPG

Thanks very much all,  I'm sure i tried that combination of parts at some point before?!  I think I have it working however I havent really been able to properly test it as I have a new problem now 🙈.

I've broken the plastic bracket on the servo body... you screw through the chassis base into the plastic upright and the servo body screws into that (X2). So, I used a second servo and it broke in the same place on that one too! The fit of the screw that goes up into the upright is very tight but both times I was trying to support the upright to try to avoid it twisting and putting extra stress on this mounting point. Does anyone make a servo with the mounting points made of metal to avoid this potential problem as this could get frustrating and expensive! 

Thanks again. 

20210112_185335.jpg

Sign of a poor quality servo in my opinion. I've never broken the ear off a servo during maintenance in 30-odd years of the hobby. But I almost always use Futaba.

Yes, you can buy aluminium cased servos but they are a lot more expensive. The TT-02 is designed for a Futaba S3003, at about £8 each they work perfectly and are much better quality than the chinese junk brands.

Also, don't tighten the servo up fully until you have got the alignment right. Twisting a fully tightened part is never going to end well

33 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

And welcome to TC. @ScoTT-02

Thanks! I'm going to need some help from time to time... especially at the start of this journey! 🤪

• Like 2