Charles M

Presentation of Charles

I’ve recently received a Original Hummer !

I want it when i was young and a good bargain appear, after that it was in the pipe. 

The Bodyshell is in green version (unpainted) but a broken part is missing on the front corner. But i’ve bought a second Bodyshell to the seller , already painted (twice/third time)  without  missing part. Mix and match !

This weekend i was invited by a RC friend to discover  « Crawler » session. 
I came with my Kong Head, but with open diff, unglued stock tires, TBLE02s and torque tune, that only work in « Speed and Power » mode.  
But after trying my friend crawler (Carisma Coyote) , that totally  different. HW 1080 esc with drag brake, very low ratio, specific tire, ...  that much better to practice  

That great, and now still a big question :

if i make some crawler session,

first solution, easy one : buy a crawler model, Gmade for exemple

second solution

what i will do with the Humvee ? Put on shelf or transform it as a crawler, that will never good as a crawler model, but i think, i can take some pleasure to drive it. 

Some advice about this project ?

ADB77C94-CFD1-44CD-A120-83C5CDA8D98F.jpeg

6 hours ago, J@mes said:

Hi @Charles M here’s some inspiration: 

Thanks, that very interesting mod ! 
That be very helpfull for what i want to do. 

On 1/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, Charles M said:

Hello to everybody, Happy New year and best wishes in RC.  

I'm Charles from North of France, (near Belgium border). I don't know if i need to make a presentation but i will explain here why I'm here.

I'm from 1986, and around 10/11 years old. At Christmas i will ask to santa some Lego Technic big set, and my Brother (8 years older than me), as Tamiya Fan explain to me RC is more Fun. 

I've listen him, and he found my first model : a Dyna Storm from  a windows showase of a closing rc local shop. Already mount with a motor on it. And all start for me about RC !

With years, i've choose to spend some Birthday and Christmas into it. Next model was a KIT Subaru Impreza 97' with the TA03F , so great stuff to mount a model. 

And i follow with some other "iconic" model : Juggernaut, never heard about the fragile gear ( no internet community ).

After a intership as a young dealer assistant into another Rc Shop,i work on holidays and saturdays. I spend lot of money & time in my TA04 Pro chassis, with lot of Hop Up, and good electronic product as Novak and Futaba.

I make some race in local club as amateur. That so great to run these model on carpet. Good memories when at the end my model was well setup as easy to drive. 

Some other model come to my collection, I've bought ( between 2000-2005 ) a  2nd hand Dyna Blaster, to take some spare parts for my Dyna Storm. Finally i discover few parts are common. 

And after, that i've bought a Dyna Storm NIB, mount it and make it run with caution. ( before crazy price ) 

After that, i grow up and i spend less time in RC, to continue bigger on 1:1 scale car and need more time to high school and my engineer university (Electricity). Keep all my model at my family house. 

Now after some ( lot of ) years, my nephew  "Ed" have recevied a Tamiya RC Model : Racing Fighter. ( son of my Brother ) and his cousin "Amb." recevied for communion a Neo Fighter. 

Me and my brother don't resist to buy again 20 years after a Kit ( 2 others Racing Fighter ) to plan to run with children with same models. 

In parallele I am in the process of rebuild / replace parts and clean. The Clean Dyna Storm became a Shelf queen and my first Dyna Storm still a Runner.

I've upgrade my Juggernaut with 2000 gears and bearing with Amb ( he love to mount/dismount model)

Bought in may 2020 a TRF414M (my teenager dream) for my Birthday, and planned to run.  

And now i've start to make on the Dyna Blaster a restoration that he deserved. 

Thanks to read this presentation. 

Sincerly yours 

Charles

Great intro Charles!

Welcome to TC 👍

The hummer will never be as capable in a crawling environment as a proper crawler, and there are a few good crawlers in the budget price range if you wanted something dedicated without breaking the bank.  That said, a few years ago I went to a local crawling event and I took a friend along with me.  I didn't have a spare crawler at the time, so I let him borrow my Hummer.  It was modified with a custom stick chassis by the previous owner which gave it more ground clearance.

It was wearing cheap tyres and couldn't handle the rocky sections or tough climbs, but it worked really well over the less intense terrain and was a lot of fun.  The link posted above is probably the best and easiest way to modify your hummer for crawling, but a stick chassis is possible to.

I don't have a write-up on my stick chassis, but basically it consists of two sections of aluminium U-channel screwed together for rigidity, with a gearbox attached at each end.  I will rebuild it sometime in the next few years and do a full write-up then, if I choose to stick with a stick chassis or change it for a plate chassis.

• Like 1

Thanks to @Mad Ax and @J@mes for your informaiton. All is about ground clearance.

I 've got a 3D Printer, maybe i can make some parts to adapt the bathtub.

• Like 1

I've got some Dilemma due some news parts ! 

Firstly as i said,  My first model was an Dyna Storm in 1995, and long time ago i've bought a second hand Dyna Blaster for some parts. Finally very few parts are common between those close model. 

After some damage on my Juggernaut, as a teenager, i've got a good idea cut my Dyna Blaster Bodyshell into 2 parts to adapt it to my Juggernaut. 

And now with restart into RC, i've planned to rebuild my Dyna Blaster. 

spacer.png

Almost finish about the chassis frame with some 3D print parts. Some Aluminum paint around on the rims. New tires, Pink Motor. Still his own livery. 

84192846-636A-4085-B4D3-E28F6D7ADFB1.thumb.jpeg.33b88005f0953c769726b832e29cae9c.jpeg

I've planned to run my Dyna Blaster and I've found cheap bodyshell to run with it. ==> Rock Socker ( Stadium Blitzer )

image.png.e173b39e1ad16489f22b58675143b377.png

And some Replica Decals

spacer.png

Normally i will deguise the Rock Socker as a Dyna Blaster. 

But with some advice of my local RC Shop, I've bought Tamiya Remover Paint and Cement to restore my Original bodyshell. 

image.png.b9bba2f65d7ec0ada5ab0f3978e712de.pngimage.thumb.png.9e19acaba337ede74af0528d4877f753.png

I've start to clean the original body shell, keep original decal on it. ( Not shaded YL/Or decals on the body ) 

That so long job to do. Maybe i want to repaint as Box Art with lot of masking stuff to make the Yl/Or stickers. and re-assemble the 2 parts. 

image.png.b1cecbffb11a652059f86e61ca69de82.png

But, last news, I know that Stadium Thunder  have the same BodyShell as Dyna Blaster. 

spacer.png

And I've found a NIB version of the Re Release of the Stadium Thunder !

20210218010635-d965a2e3-me.jpg

So great , i can make a clean Dyna Blaster with this body shell. ( with replica decals )

Still try to restore the original body with some painting mask. 

But what i will need to do with the Rock Socker body Shell. This one is the same as the Stadium Blitzer. 

model_58106_01.jpg

That come be logic due the 2 Stadium have the same chassis.  Just Different color of rims. 

I will hesitate to paint the body as another livery. As Toyota Hilux Monster Racer, other ideas ...