nel33

looking for a good RTR truck

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

I just use the 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 hex from them 

ah, that narrows it down a fair amount.  they are a bit pricy but sometimes the price is worth the quality. ever since i got some better screwdrivers in realized the ones i used before weren't as great as i thought as they did the trick. i did buy some other tools from other brands car related tools for higher prices that were worth it.

regarding other things am i over thinking it but the slash has a female plug for the ESC cable? my Tamiya plug batteries have a female plug (with no clip) and the Traxxas battery will have a male connector. apparently there are 2 types of connectors and it looks like a long flat connector is on the RTR.  i will need a traxxas female to female Tamiya to charge the battery that comes with the truck but male to male to use my Tamiya plug battery to run the slash on it. i dont see a F-F or M-M plugs, only male to female plugs or vice versa. some with cables some are just 2 different and opposite M to F plugs placed onto each other. 

my brain might be shot/tired atm (not the first time my mind  has trouble with simple things) as its just before 1am here but the math doesnt work out here with the cables going from Tamiya to Traxxas or the other way around with m-f or r-m plugs just ends up having the right company plug but the wrong side of the plug to make a proper connection. it ends up in a big circle. i cant find a ready made M-M or F-F plug to convert one company connector to the other without having to cut a non-battery cable or solder a correct plug that i need. i presume this is to keep things proprietary and force people to make the connections themselves and or but the proprietary battery instead.

Are you talking about the battery connector on the ESC?  If so, just get whatever plug matches your batteries and solder it to the Traxxas ESC.  You can use adapters, but you're better off soldering the proper connector on there.  If you're planning on getting more vehicles then having the ESC & batteries all with the same connector will be easier in the long run.  I would suggest Deans (T-Plug) or XT60, Tamiya battery connectors are OK for stock vehicles, but anything drawing decent current you want a better connector.  The Traxxas connector is actually pretty good, but you have to use their batteries so I never stuck with them.

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Are you talking about the battery connector on the ESC?  If so, just get whatever plug matches your batteries and solder it to the Traxxas ESC.  You can use adapters, but you're better off soldering the proper connector on there.  If you're planning on getting more vehicles then having the ESC & batteries all with the same connector will be easier in the long run.  I would suggest Deans (T-Plug) or XT60, Tamiya battery connectors are OK for stock vehicles, but anything drawing decent current you want a better connector.  The Traxxas connector is actually pretty good, but you have to use their batteries so I never stuck with them.

Thank you for the reply, yes i was considering adaptors before considering soldering but soldering in the only way to make my current batteries work. I'm not sure what to do atm as I don't plan on buying another RC for a bit of time. I noticed Traxxas has a connector for ESC use only but it could possibly be used with some adaptor wires if needed ie solder female TRX connector to F TM wire adaptor.. If anything it would have to survive running and charging. I'm currently trying to keep the tamiya connectors stock on my first kit until they show signs of wear before replacing it for deans. I might consider buying a 2nd Traxxas battery and good charger depending on the run time of 3000mah batery. I'm gonna have to put this on the back burner for the time being but I still hate the idea of the cigarette lighter charger, it really just limits you without buying a proper charger.

I don't mind tamiya plugs but I would rather have deans on it but it's gonna be a later upgrade.

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

thanks, i did see that item there but my mind wasnt completely there. i just wished they had side views of the products, the clear while plastic is hard to distinguish. i believe i found its Canadian posting. i strongly believe Amazon should have a rule to include commas into the name of the item posting....

https://www.amazon.ca/FLY-RC-Traxxas-Adapter-Connector/dp/B07P5WMRBK/ref=sr_1_49_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=FLY+RC+4pcs+RC+Battery+Charger+Adapter+Connector+for+Traxxas+Male+to+Tamiya+Plugs+Compatible+with+Slash+Rustler+Stampede+Bandit+E+Revo+RC+Cars&qid=1611098464&sr=8-49-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUlRKTjg4UjdDMUhQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTkxNjI3M0lVU0RTNzhDUkVZNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTYwODIzMlRTMjBZQTBQWUNZWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

this still does cause me confusion as to which connectors  i need if it start to visualise it without having the actual parts in front of me, though it makes sense for the TM battery to Slash connection. 

That should work, it's definitely a Tamiya female to TRX male so shouldn't have a problem with that if it's the way you want to go.

• Like 1