Sign in to follow this  
100mega

Finespec TTU-08 or suggestions for something else

When I bought my first kit I got the Finespec set on Amazon that includes all the goodies to get started for like $150. I just got another car and was at the hobby shop trying to pick up a compatible receiver and they said that it wasn’t that simple and I would probably need a Tamiya branded one at the very least. I’ve quickly discovered that for some reason that kind of thing is way harder to come by in the US than it should be. So, is this true? Receivers can’t just be “paired”? There aren’t any easier to come by brands that work with it? Also if this is all a waste of time and money to stick to Tamiya stuff what is a good brand and model of radio for a newbie that has plenty of easy to find compatible receivers? At this rate I’d like to spend less than $100 but if there’s a well supported one with nice features I could go a little higher. Also, I apologize in advance for not completely understanding this stuff yet. Thanks in advance!

edit: I was looking at the Futaba 3PV 3-Channel FHSS System. Does that limit me to the $60 Futaba receivers that they have listed?

The "Finespec" is a "Tamiya" radio as you know. For some reason (I forgot why) it really isn't sold in the USA even though you can get them shipped. Nice radio though, with the features it has. I am not sure on the "Finespec", but "Tamiya" radios are made by "Futaba". That might help source another receiver? But I think something is different on this one. 

If you want a bunch of RC vehicles (more than 2) using one transmitter, I would think of getting a nice radio with more channels. Like a 6, 8, 10, etc... channels that would have a reasonably price RX. It really will be more economical in the long run.

I have and like "Futaba" radio's. A little pricey but always quality. Started with them and still use them. Rx's will be readily available. "Futaba" 4YF (2.4GHZ) Is a reasonable 4 channel radio. Receivers cost about the same. (depending) 

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, 100mega said:

edit: I was looking at the Futaba 3PV 3-Channel FHSS System. Does that limit me to the $60 Futaba receivers that they have listed?

I admire your desire to stick to Tamiya-branded equipment, but afaik most of us stop short of getting Finespec tx/rx's (because they're hard to find), and Tamiya servos (because frankly they're not very good value for money). 

I for one have the Futaba 3PV, and while it's a quality piece of kit, I am somewhat regretting it specifically because their receivers are so expensive (I already bought 9 receivers - ouch). Also I've personally found a really strange bug in my 3PV; it doesn't seem to want to 'remember' its memory settings. Every time I turn it on it seems to have forgotten some of the model bindings (it has 10-model memory) I had programmed. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, not sure.

If I had to do it all again I'd probably get a Flysky set, or perhaps a Radiolink set.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Here it is next to my TT02-S chassis (because pictures are nice :)):

IMG-20200804-030907.jpg

Finespec radios are very nice. I have a TTU-09 for by Bruiser re-re. Futaba radios are fantastic too. Most of my cars have Futaba gear. BUT, for those of us that have dozens of cars, the FlySky radios are perfect. The receivers are cheap and they work perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the opinions on this. I think I’m heading in the direction of a FlySky one due to the receivers being so inexpensive. Less money spent there = more kits for me to build 😅

20 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I admire your desire to stick to Tamiya-branded equipment, but afaik most of us stop short of getting Finespec tx/rx's (because they're hard to find), and Tamiya servos (because frankly they're not very good value for money). 

I for one have the Futaba 3PV, and while it's a quality piece of kit, I am somewhat regretting it specifically because their receivers are so expensive (I already bought 9 receivers - ouch). Also I've personally found a really strange bug in my 3PV; it doesn't seem to want to 'remember' its memory settings. Every time I turn it on it seems to have forgotten some of the model bindings (it has 10-model memory) I had programmed. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, not sure.

If I had to do it all again I'd probably get a Flysky set, or perhaps a Radiolink set.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Here it is next to my TT02-S chassis (because pictures are nice :)):

IMG-20200804-030907.jpg

Yes sounds like you’re doing something wrong settings wise. My 3pv saves all the settings for my 10 cars 

Don't rule out Futaba yet. Clone/generic/compatible receivers exist and they work well. I have a couple of different clones and they work well. Banggood sell them (search futaba FHSS) and they are less than half the price of a Futaba rx.

I have 7 sets of radio gear, 3 are Flysky and they're fine, but the ones I prefer to use are Futaba and Sanwa. You really do get what you pay for. Also, you will have the radio gear for a long time. If you are committed to the hobby then consider the Futaba 4PM or Sanwa MTS (you can get clone Sanwa receivers too).

Also, one reason i have 7 sets is buying wrong the 1st time...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Don't rule out Futaba yet. Clone/generic/compatible receivers exist and they work well. I have a couple of different clones and they work well. Banggood sell them (search futaba FHSS) and they are less than half the price of a Futaba rx.

I have 7 sets of radio gear, 3 are Flysky and they're fine, but the ones I prefer to use are Futaba and Sanwa. You really do get what you pay for. Also, you will have the radio gear for a long time. If you are committed to the hobby then consider the Futaba 4PM or Sanwa MTS (you can get clone Sanwa receivers too).

Also, one reason i have 7 sets is buying wrong the 1st time...

Ahh, thanks for that info about the info about the clone receivers. You're right, I don't want to buy wrong again. I'll consider those you mentioned.