TycoLover

Grasshopper Tire Diameter?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some suitable rear tires for my Tyco Turbo Hopper.  This reddit says that they're the same as those on Tamiya Super Champ/Fighting Buggy, Grasshopper, and Hornet: 

I suspect that's wrong, though.  Those are 1/10 scale cars, where the hopper was 1/16.  Anyway, could one of you guys that owns those Tamiya models take some measurements on the rear tires?  If they're approximately right then I'll get some and put them on the Tyco.

Thanks!

I don’t know you think those tires are the same size a grasshopper?  I’m running frog tires and rims on mine but I know frog/grasshopper are the same size 

53DBA1E0-653D-432D-895D-BEB471E57942.jpeg

The Grasshopper wheels are special 3 piece design and the Tyco wheels are a solid rim so they probably won't fit . You need to find something for a beadlock wheel rim . You can still find the rear tyres now and then on eBay

Here is a pic of my Harley Bandit , are the rear tyres like these ?

or like the other mini Bandit in the pic

tyco harley bandit truck.jpg

tyco bandit 2.jpg

Thanks for the replies @KEV THE REV and @Exit13.  The original wheels and tires looked a lot like the ones on the Harley Bandit.  Maybe a little narrower, but that would be close enough for what I'm doing.  My real question is what is the diameter / height on those tires vs the ones on the Grasshopper in @Exit13's post?

I'm not expecting anything I buy today to fit.  The axle itself for my car is long gone (I think I bent it when trying to get the wheels off 25 years ago).  I've made a replacement out of 4mm stainless rod, cross-drilled it to accept pins and 12mm hexes, threaded for 4mm nuts, and mounted it with 2.2 inch Traxxas buggy tires, but these look totally silly.

I'm 3d printing parts to replace broken ones and make it run.  I can print up hubs to mount Tamiya wheels, but I'm afraid they're close to the same size as the Traxxas ones.  They're a whole lot easier to get than the Tyco stuff though.

I was planning to do a thread on my whole project in "Other Makes."  Figured you guys would get a kick out of it.

I had the old Turbo Hopper running around the garage yesterday for the first time in 25 years or so.

Sounds good .

The Harley Bandit tyres are 43mm wide x 70mm O/D inc studs - the rim dia. is 45mm

The GH tyre is 38mm wide x 80mm O/D x 39mm rim dia

• Like 1

Don't forget if you use Tamiya GH wheels they have a 5 stud wheel mount that fits onto the axle pin . You will need 2 of those . 

• Like 1

I have an original Turbo Hopper. Tires are WAY smaller than Grasshopper tires.. I’ll take some pics and measurements.

• Like 1

Either style of tire would be fine.  I actually prefer the earlier knobby tires, even though that's not what originally came on my car.  I think the Turbo Hopper tires are approximately the same height regardless of the version (the wheels are different, as is the tread).  This all does thoroughly answer my question, though...  Indeed the Tamiya 1/10 scale buggy rear tires are quite a bit taller than those on the Turbo Hopper.

Appreciate the side-by-side @67CamaroSS.

Thanks guys!