Super ally

Did tamiya re re's bring you back to the hobby?

I came back to this hobby after over 30 years after seeing that tamiya were releasing the buggies and trucks from the 80s.I bought the hotshot which was already built off ebay and then i was hooked again with these buggies.Did the re re's bring you back to this hobby like me and if tamiya did not release these old cars again would you have come back?

I came back to the hobby in 2008 during a recession, I couldn’t afford to race 1:1 cars anymore and with 3 small children I needed to be at home a lot more so Tamiya In the back garden was my more modest outlet 😂

• Like 2

I never really left the hobby so the re-releases didn't bring me back, but they did get me buying "new" Tamiyas again. Before the re-releases I mainly tinkered with my original cars from the 80's back in the early 2000's and bought used vintage examples off fleabay. When the re-releases hit in earnest, I began getting them. I'd say 70% of my new Tamiya purchases have been re-releases since 2005 and almost 100% for the past 5 years.

• Like 1

Like @Saito2 I never really left the hobby. It was just the spammy emails from Tamiyaclub that finally did their job and tempted me back here after a decade absence LOL

I have only bought one new car for myself in the last 20 years and that was a Schumacher. I have however bought a re-re Terra Scorcher for my middle daughter and Father Xmas bought middle and youngest daughter's a Sand Viper and Agroshot. 

Most of our cars are my old original vintage buggies, brought down from the attic, rebuilt with new parts and being in daily use again after a long hibernation.

• Like 1

Wasn't rere per say, It was the existence of what i remembered still being available.  The longevity of tamiya is what makes the brand valuable. Granted there are many things that in our eyeys could be improved on, but the long term consistency  is a comfort zone.  Not a perfect situation after re entering. But we all know what we are dealing with now.  

I only had three Tamiyas back in the day (Boomerang 1987, Midnight Pumpkin 1988, Manta Ray 1990). But all the kids in my school/street had a Tamiya of some sort.

I then started 10th racing with a Pro Cat, then an RC10, and Tamiya got left behind. Although I do have very fond memories of thumbing through the full colour catalogues from Tamiya. However, when they re-released the Lunch Box I got one, and that then did re-ignite my love of Tamiya. I've had many scale trucks, comp crawlers and short course trucks over the years, but now would really only consider buying a Tamiya kit. I'm certainly not interested in 70mph ready to run things.

2 hours ago, Super ally said:

Did the re re's bring you back to this hobby like me and if tamiya did not release these old cars again would you have come back?

Yes, no.

• Like 1

Yes, it was seeing pictures of the re re Avante during a particularly hideous time in my life where I was looking for some escapism to hide away from daily life.

Lifes infinitely better now and It then sort of escalated after that.

3 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yes, it was seeing pictures of the re re Avante during a particularly hideous time in my life where I was looking for some escapism to hide away from daily life.

Lifes infinitely better now and It then sort of escalated after that.

I know how that goes!

• Like 1

Yes, it let me restore both my Midnight Pumpkin for the boys and my Thunder Shot for myself and as you all know its a slippery slop..........23 buggies later!!

I never had any Tamiyas in my original run in the hobby. My dad’s friend ( and owner of a small LHS, John, had a very built up Clod I was always impressed with. 
I always though the Lunchie/Midnight Pumpkin were fun, and a few people ran Monster Beetles or Blackfoot in out MT class at my local club, but overall Tamiya buggies were not that prominent in 2wd or 4wd buggy class. 
My very first Tamiya was a 1/24 static Miata kit this past year.

Followed soon after with a M06 Miata. 

Its a little bit off topic, but actually tamiya re re bring me to the hobby. Me in my teens dont have enough resources (aka : money) to buy a real prop rc car.

Now, in my late 30, and without spouse, with some spare money, i can build kits i want.

My first kit is boomerang re re bought last year for nostalgia reason mostly, my 2nd is a db02 leonis, havent build it yet, need some time and guts to start it XD.

Considering buying used tl01/tt01e in the mean time to tinker, found some for cheap price in my local emarket . The urge is real XD.

• Like 1

For the most part yes.

Was actually the TamTech Frog that got me back, as just wanted something for nostalgic purposes and not too serious ... then of course i saw they re-re The Frog around the same time, and although i held off for a bit, i eventually succumbed and dived in - so i have 3 generations: OG, Re-Re, TamTech and now just need to get Neo Fighter to finish off the family.

Picked up the other 2 from childhood - Fox and HotShot - and more recently its been on-road XV-01 / F104W to keep things trickling over ...