RCRLMichael

Replacement damper suggestions for DT-03 Racing Fighter

Hi all,

I'm looking for damper suggestions for my DT-03 Racing Fighter build.  The Racing Fighter kit I have came with the CVA dampers and I also have the Tamiya Spring Set Hop-Up option #53832.  However, I'd like to upgrade the plastic CVAs with alloy dampers instead.

I tend to prefer using genuine Tamiya hop-up options (or TRF if budget allows) however I haven't found any direct replacements for the CVAs that came with this kit.  As such, I've been looking at either going with a set of GPM dampers or a set from Yeah Racing.  But before I pull the trigger on either of those, I wanted to ask here if anyone here has any suggestions for dampers.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Cheers!

• Like 1

Have you seen this thread?

I don't have a DT03 but would expect there to be a Tamiya option that could be made to work. The aluminium shocks all seem to be a similar (expensive) price, so TRF or not won't make much difference.  The DF03 shocks are often suggested as an upgrade for Tamiya buggies, thats what I'd look at first. 

The CVA dampers are actually pretty good and probably perform better than cheap alloy shocks, although I've heard good things about Yeah Racing as a bang for buck upgrade. I don't think I would replace tamiya oil filled shocks with them but would definitely look at those for a kit that came with friction dampers.

• Like 1

I've run stock,  3racing (which needed a rebuild new, don't know what oil they use, but it's rubbish) these work as well as the stock, but have screw body adjustment ,so easier to het what i wanted.

Now running, Schumacher big bore shocks, these are brilliant (big bore on the front,  3racing on the rear in this shot)

2020-09-11_12-14-44

In ,normal times , you can pick up a set for around £40 2nd hand.

• Like 1

I suggest DF03 alloy damper set. They are a touch longer so you get a bit more ground clearance and a bit more travel. The damping performance is superior to the CVA, very close to TRF.

Pretty much any buggy damper sets from Tamiya can be made to fit anyway. If you want to go aftermarket I’ve had a good run from gmade XD, durability is very good but they are not quite as smooth or nice as a proper Tamiya unit. 

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

I suggest DF03 alloy damper set. They are a touch longer so you get a bit more ground clearance and a bit more travel. The damping performance is superior to the CVA, very close to TRF.

Pretty much any buggy damper sets from Tamiya can be made to fit anyway. If you want to go aftermarket I’ve had a good run from gmade XD, durability is very good but they are not quite as smooth or nice as a proper Tamiya unit. 

I've been looking at the DF-03 Alloy Damper Set the last few days.  Expensive.  But I do believe it's probably the best option for this buggie.  Just trying to convince myself that it's ok to spend that money on an entry-level car.

Never considered the GMade offerings.  I'll have to check them out.  Cheers!