Mechanic AH

We all talk and share photos of our RC vehicles but what about the tools? Anything cool? Photos?

I’m just a bit obsessed with tools used to build Tamiya kits (and non Tamiya kits). I like discovering new tools that makes the build process more efficient and easier. Sometimes I avoid buying too cheap so I don’t buy twice, but I also try not to overspend (only splurge was a Kyosho Kanai hex driver). I’m somewhat new to this hobby so I’m curious to learn more and see what others have, or perhaps I don’t know existed and need (practical).

Can you share a note and post a picture of a tool, gadget, device, etc. you have...

- that is very cool? You don’t have to share everything right away
- discovered recently that has changed the way you build?
- that helps make RC builds easier and better?
- that you can’t live without?
- regretted buying or was too hyped? 
- made yourself? 
- that is rare?
- purchased recently? 

Sorry, I keep starting these photo threads. Thanks!

These are my on hand, go to for my rc gear, yes my online name comes from when I was a Snap -on tools dealer

image.jpg

• Like 1

Here's one that's not often mentioned I use them to install and remove hard to reach M3 nuts, makes removing axles on crawlers much easier.

Locking Foreceps

G805_Forceps300.jpg

• Like 3

Got a turnbuckle wrench to bulk up an order from Plaza Japan, was a little money well spent to be honest, really useful and saved my hands a bit!

Also got 2 JIS driver's and they are much better than the Philips ones I was using previously, other than that and some curved cutters most of my tools are just stuff from round the house!

Screenshot_20210113-233432~2.png

• Like 4

Compass Cutter (Circular Cutter) got it so wheel arches would no longer be the bane of my existence!

On arches that are 100% circular or near enough, its a god send.

On arches that aren't you can still leverage the cutter to get part way there.

Only annoyances, make sure you have the pivot point held with enough force - not too much that you completely puncture the lexan, but not too little that it slips as soon as you start the trace the arch.

compass-cutter.jpg

• Like 2

@Mechanic AH i might hijack or add-on to this thread, as was going to start one up myself, but its somewhat related, so maybe we can get both happening.

I am curious as to how people store their tools and spares, mostly in terms of portable (when out on a run/bash) - but mine also serves as main garage storage solution as well.

I currently have a 4 drawer Plano fishing tackle. Storing larger parts int he main top compartment; so some tyres, silver can motors, screw drivers, grease, shock oils etc. And then a drawer dedicated to each model/kit spares; gears, screws, wings etc.

I don't mind the tackle box, but with more models than drawers not sure if i should continue buying separate drawers and go with 1 model = 1 drawer (substituting as required when i take a vehicle out for a run) ... OR ... 1 drawer per type of spare (since only Tamiya kits), so 1 drawer for various nuts/screws/washers, another drawer for bearings, then say servo/radio gear etc ?

Any suggestions or ideas, would love to see them also ...

rc-storage.jpg

• Like 1

Everything Tamiya of course, it’s that good! 😁 With the exception of that black “tools kit” pouch which are Team Raffee hex drivers exclusively for my TRX-6 that I got for free.
Ryze82 , I use Ridgid tool boxes , there are many different style/sizes and are Modular which  you can stack and lock the case into each other.

39EE6CC9-844F-409B-90F4-24BC86AEB474.thumb.jpeg.63c527a9bb6d69e5008b2b5cd025bafc.jpeg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JYCM3 said:

Ryze82 , I use Ridgid tool boxes , there are many different style/sizes and are Modular which  you can stack and lock the case into each other.

@JYCM3 I have looked at some similar systems here (DeWalt or AEG or Tactix are the ones locally here in AU i can get hold of with ease) - more expensive than the tackle box approach (though, those themselves i find ridiculously overpriced), but having outgrown that already, i think it might be time to make the switch as they do have the larger modular dividers. Perhaps larger one for the big stuff, and then a smaller (or shall i say, shallower) one for the smaller screws/nuts/bearings etc.

I struggled along for years with Allen keys, but as a started to get back into racing, I bought a set of Allen drivers, and wow,  why didn't I buy a set years ago!?!?! 

I bought a set of ,Arrowmax, which are fine, but snapped 3 of the 1.5mm , so bought an MIP 1.5mm (a single 1.5mm is over half the price of a set of arrowmax!!) and you get what you pay for.

Another purchase I wish I'd got years ago, is the shock pliers. No more worrying about scratching the shaft when screwing on eyelets, no more flinging balls about when trying to fit the balls into eyelets, no more worrying about scratching shock bodies ,screwing on the cap etc, well worth it!! 

A pit stand (Fastrax one for a tenner) was another ,wish I'd bought earlier tool (?), not only to put the car on for working, magnetic strip for holding other tools,  but also has varying holes for shocks, so filling with oil is a brezze.

Turns out, as the kids found out..it's also handy for ice cream cones!! (Clean obviously)

In my ageing years, an LED pit lamp has been a god send, not only when I'm racing, but brilliant for in the house too!!

Long nose pliers are a must in any tool kit, along with a couple of different screw drivers.

One tool I've not used (but the wife has......🤷‍♂️) , is a shock vac pump the kids got me for my birthday last year. With not much time since, I've not used it, but the wife is into jewelry making, and bought a, resin jewelry kit, so used it to pull the air out of the resin in the molds! 😁

(Note, the LED pit lamp is also getting used, and got asked why, when I originally bought it!?! )

2020-06-27_12-40-27

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Another purchase I wish I'd got years ago, is the shock pliers. No more worrying about scratching the shaft when screwing on eyelets, no more flinging balls about when trying to fit the balls into eyelets, no more worrying about scratching shock bodies ,screwing on the cap etc, well worth it!! 

@Wooders28 I am only now finding out about these. Are they a viable solution for steering rods as well ? Ill admit a bit of rubber and pliers is usually enough for me with shocks; but dam steering rods and similar drive me crazy! not to mention tear the ****! out of my hands.

• Like 2

a Tamiya JIS screwdriver, spent years wrenching with a hardware store phillips screwdriver. Was so impressed I bought my BIL one.

2nd would be a 5.5 and 7mm socket drivers and a set of 1.5-2.5mm hex drivers. You only get what you pay for so best to cry once.

3rd is a quality soldering iron.

LED lamp is next (maybe one with a magnifying glass to help the aging eyesight)

All my gear is stored in a Flambeau T4 tackle box. The problem with bigger storage is you end up accumulatng more gear so beware. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

@Mechanic AH i might hijack or add-on to this thread, as was going to start one up myself, but its somewhat related, so maybe we can get both happening.

No problem at all! I think storage is also part of the subject!

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I struggled along for years with Allen keys, but as a started to get back into racing, I bought a set of Allen drivers, and wow,  why didn't I buy a set years ago!?!?! 

I bought a set of ,Arrowmax, which are fine, but snapped 3 of the 1.5mm , so bought an MIP 1.5mm (a single 1.5mm is over half the price of a set of arrowmax!!) and you get what you pay for.

Man, I can't believe you were on Allen keys for a while! That's hard core B). Glad to hear your experience with Arrowmax. I bought a number of drivers and thought Arrowmax had an interesting handle design, but I ended up not buying it because I haven't heard about them—and agree with you on that mindset of "you get what you pay for". I just wish MIP had a replaceable tip (but at least it's long enough to grind down).

Definitely, JIS screwdrivers . I think I haven't found the perfect one, yet. Been using motorbike ones from Vessel and from the Tamiya #74085 tool set.

1 hour ago, LeftyAl said:

is a quality soldering iron.

This too. Been using a craft/hobby grade one that was originally used for something random and it's been quite inefficient (since I've used better ones before). So I caved in since I was getting into the hobby and just recently purchased a Weller 1010.

4 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

@Wooders28 I am only now finding out about these. Are they a viable solution for steering rods as well ? Ill admit a bit of rubber and pliers is usually enough for me with shocks; but dam steering rods and similar drive me crazy! not to mention tear the ****! out of my hands.

Shock pliers was the next thing I bought when I worked on my second kit. It's really an essential—not that you can't build without it, but it's one of those proper tools to do the job efficiently and cleanly. I use it for plain steering rods (but haven't tried with very thin ones). The one I got (see photo of the actual tool) has two different notches for different shaft sizes and also comes with a ball extractor and sometimes works with putting them on.

IMG_0247.jpg

• Like 2

Love the Tamiya Long Nose Non-Scratch Pliers, should have bought these a long time ago. Great for shock shafts, steering rods and all manner of building.

Love my MIP Drivers, such a perfect fit and really good for undoing rubbish chinesium hex hardware.

Tool I don't really understand the hype for. The E-clip tool. Got a 2mm and 4mm one, and find it nigh on useless for taking E-clips off, and a bit cumbersome for putting them on, when I can install them quicker with my Long Nose Non-Scratch Pliers... 😕

Would also like a pit lamp as well, and a decent pit mat or cutting mat 🙂

Tools I can't live without:

MIP hex drivers. Worth every penny.

Turnbuckle wrenches.

Trackpower soldering station.

"The Jigs Up" soldering jig.

Digital calipers.

• Like 1

RC Pliers, one for Dampers & one for Ball Connectors. The Ball Connector plier i ruined right away as i have a tendency to use to much force when things are not going my way, i fyou look at the picture you se the metal sticking  out behind the red circle so that means it ment for sealed balled connectors not open, so that meant i was just pushing down on the metal head, ending with me bending the plier itself, trired to bend it back but will not quite be the same

image.thumb.png.a9c51d77412dd6025f5f8f5895cbd3d4.png:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

For holding the shaft, it'll probably work, although all the cars I've built over the last few years have had provisions for a spanner.

For popping the ball on, I think you'd be better with, ball link pliers. I looked at getting some for when marshalling at race meets, as a few cars a meeting will have popped a ball joint, steering or suspension ,and it's made more difficult when you're rushing and it's not your car!! 

Or maybe the shock pliers would work....🤔

2 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Man, I can't believe you were on Allen keys for a while! That's hard core B)

😂😂, I work in maintenance as my day job, so used to spinning them in my thumb, so maybe battled on longer than I should 🙄😁

3 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

2nd would be a 5.5 and 7mm socket drivers 

I can't say I use the 5.5 that much, as the Tamiya 'T' works well, but the 7mm for wheel nuts (use more often) is worth it.

8 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

@JYCM3 I have looked at some similar systems here (DeWalt or AEG or Tactix are the ones locally here in AU i can get hold of with ease) - more expensive than the tackle box approach (though, those themselves i find ridiculously overpriced), but having outgrown that already, i think it might be time to make the switch as they do have the larger modular dividers. Perhaps larger one for the big stuff, and then a smaller (or shall i say, shallower) one for the smaller screws/nuts/bearings etc.

Ryz82 you should as my other Ridgid tool boxes, the larger (deeper) ones I put large tools for 1:1 cars and I have another one for house hold stuff, wood screws, glues , faucet bolts etc .. I agree some are really expensive like Milwaukee ones with endless flexibility and cool options. I got Ridgid ones as it the most I can afford with flexibility/options I wanted out of these storage systems. I  suggest go in to store with those available in AU check it out in person. I did that few times looking through few Dewalt, Husky, and several others before deciding on the one I got.

• Like 1

4KtHqX5.png

This is basically my condensed toolkit for tinkering at home. Its a mixture of Wera, Knipex and Bahco with some unbranded and random odds and ends. 

• Like 1

Tamiya JIS screwdrivers. So much better than Phillips. A Vessel set is on my wishlist.

Tamiya E-ring tool.  No more tiny E-rings victim of the carpet monster,

• Like 1

I got a cheap set of hex drivers with "titanium" coating just to try out because some of the reviews were complimentary. 

1d383d3c-4e8a-4d52-9332-40906ebe23cb.jpg.webp

My first observation was "what on earth was I thinking all this time struggling with allen keys?" and my second was "wow, these are so much tougher and less prone to stripping than even some moderately expensive allen keys I've struggled with" 3 years on they are still going strong! On the few occasions i've had a stripping issue with the 1.5mm, it's been the monkey metal grub screw at fault!

Same story with these. Spent so long struggling with those little Tamiya wrenches or improvising with full size tools. These things just make life so much easier.

39ea062d-21a6-4aa9-aa2b-6944ba289bc3.jpg.webp

• Like 2

And another two tools that I went without for so long because, as with the hex drivers, I always thought to myself "it's a needless luxury" but once you actually used them you realise what a mug you were!

First was the automatic wire strippers. Again, only a cheap Chinese product but surprisingly good quality. It strips pretty much any gauge wire cleanly and quickly without  any adjustment needed and without cutting off any strands of wire. No more using teeth/rolling wire under a Stanley blade etc.

PARON JX - 1301 Wire Stripper Sale, Price & Reviews | Gearbest

Second one was a decent crimping tool with interchangeable dies. Same brand as the strippers and similarly good value for money. I'll probably never use the spare dies as the set installed does everything from servo connectors to Tamiya bullets but it's nice to know they are there. Each "size" on the die actually has 2 different profiles inside so that you get the correct action both to secure the wire and the larger insulation. It makes it so effortless and does a good tidy job every time. No more trying to wing it with pliers hoping for the best and then soldering it anyway because it's barely holding on!

Paron® JX-D5 MultifunctionalRatchet Crimping Tool Wire Strippers Terminals  Pliers Kit: Buy Online at Best Prices in Pakistan | Daraz.pk

Paron JX-1601-08 Wire Crimper Jaw Ferrule Die 26-16 AWG Jaws Mold Crimping  Pliers Accessory: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

4KtHqX5.png

This is basically my condensed toolkit for tinkering at home. Its a mixture of Wera, Knipex and Bahco with some unbranded and random odds and ends. 

Is that a bottle opener above the chamfering tool?

And an honourable mention to snap ring/circlip pliers. I've mangled a fair few of the tiny ones trying to get them off stuff.

34192.jpg

Steel External Circlip, 22mm Shaft Diameter, 21mm Groove Diameter | RS  Components

Ooo and one more. Cheap electrical side cutters. Literally cost £1-2 and handy for all kinds of wire cutting, cutting heat shrink, component legs and also great for cutting Tamiya parts off the trees quickly and cleanly.

d00eee2d-d509-4875-b9a4-71ea7dc3afb5.jpg.webp

• Like 1

My latest addition is this one.

H32ac1b8939994a9cbe7db498d1d2171d8.jpg_q

Super handy for shrinking heat shrink without having to go find the hair dryer or use an old school lighter.

• Like 1