Mechanic AH

We all talk and share photos of our RC vehicles but what about the tools? Anything cool? Photos?

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

For holding the shaft, it'll probably work, although all the cars I've built over the last few years have had provisions for a spanner.

For popping the ball on, I think you'd be better with, ball link pliers. I looked at getting some for when marshalling at race meets, as a few cars a meeting will have popped a ball joint, steering or suspension ,and it's made more difficult when you're rushing and it's not your car!! 

Was mostly thinking from a stability and twisting POV, the standard in kit plastic rod ends Tamiya gives drive me nuts trying to get them started, even using pliers and rubber like i do with shocks i have no end of trouble. Last lot i resorted to clamping the rod end in a light weight vice and using the wrench - the XV-01 steering rods were particularly frustrating.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention Totes.

Serve many purposes for storage and efficient sorting/separation during both build and repairs to keep different bags/components isolated.

As i strip down for maintenance, ill keep the parts in their own tote so i can be sure i don't lose or accidentally use the wrong screw/nut etc when re-assembling.

Typical size 10 (small ones shown in photo with kit) are the go to, but i do use the large size 40 as required; more often than not as an impromptu car stand (really, need to invest in one of those like many others have said).

tote-kit.jpg

tote-large.jpg

Some very interesting tools that I didn't even know about (orders placed :)), thanks for posting.  

There are a few tools that I just couldn't do without when it comes to RC:

1) Hex drivers - These are a must, use them constantly 

2) Tamiya JIS drivers - Changed my world when I got these, I'll never use a Phillips head again on a Tamiya model.

3) Soldering station - Every RC hobbyist needs a good soldering station.

4) Impact drivers - These are life savers when it comes to beadlock wheels and larger scale vehicles.  I still assemble my Tamiya kits by hand, but these are a must if you assemble a lot of beadlocks.

Here are a the most used drawers in my RC tool box, life would be annoying without them. 

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big Jon said:

"The Jigs Up" soldering jig.

I just looked this up. Thanks for posting! I've been looking around for some sort of jig for when I solder and I'll most likely get this one.

8 hours ago, No Slack said:

Tamiya JIS screwdrivers. So much better than Phillips. A Vessel set is on my wishlist.

I have a few Vessel JIS screwdrivers but sometimes I find the Tamiya one better (at least the basic ones with transparent blue handles). I have yet to find really good JIS screwdrivers for some of the Tamiya + screw heads. 

I did some research and apparently, Vessel , Hozan, and a few new Japanese branded JIS screwdrivers started using a combination of JIS + DIN standards (German) and it's in between a pure JIS and Phillips. I always felt something was off until I read about it. Or perhaps I need to do more tests. I wonder if Tamiya + screws and screwdrivers use the old JIS standard (JIS B 4633). So I've been looking for one with that standard and read Sunflag still uses it. Hopefully, I can find a really good one.

13 hours ago, berman said:

Tool I don't really understand the hype for. The E-clip tool.

Same here. I have Dynamite one maybe it's how I use it but I find it easier to not use it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Is that a bottle opener above the chamfering tool?

It's a glow in the dark bottle opener, yes :D

Sometimes I like to drink while I think.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Some very interesting tools that I didn't even know about (orders placed :)), thanks for posting.  

There are a few tools that I just couldn't do without when it comes to RC:

1) Hex drivers - These are a must, use them constantly 

2) Tamiya JIS drivers - Changed my world when I got these, I'll never use a Phillips head again on a Tamiya model.

3) Soldering station - Every RC hobbyist needs a good soldering station.

4) Impact drivers - These are life savers when it comes to beadlock wheels and larger scale vehicles.  I still assemble my Tamiya kits by hand, but these are a must if you assemble a lot of beadlocks.

Here are a the most used drawers in my RC tool box, life would be annoying without them. 

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

Its picture like this make me wish i lived in a litle Town as i was born in, where i could have my own place in a bacement or garage with big tables spaces where i can put any stain i want and spary any odour/smell i want, as for today i live on mercy on the kithcen table when its available and our apartment its considered quite big to be in Oslo, but it stil no room for a Hobby room, well it will be when 2 more kids are out of the
Apartment :)

5 hours ago, simalarion said:

Its picture like this make me wish i lived in a litle Town as i was born in, where i could have my own place in a bacement or garage with big tables spaces where i can put any stain i want and spary any odour/smell i want, as for today i live on mercy on the kithcen table when its available and our apartment its considered quite big to be in Oslo, but it stil no room for a Hobby room, well it will be when 2 more kids are out of the

Yes, it does help having some space when enjoying this hobby.  Sometimes I wish I lived in a little apartment as mantaining the house property can be a pain, but in the end I think it's worth it.  I think the hardest thing about being in an apartment is not being able to paint as you said, not sure how you get around that one.  

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Yes, it does help having some space when enjoying this hobby.  Sometimes I wish I lived in a little apartment as mantaining the house property can be a pain, but in the end I think it's worth it.  I think the hardest thing about being in an apartment is not being able to paint as you said, not sure how you get around that one.  

hehe i don`t, actually i tried to spay TS paint today as i have Home-office in these Corona times. So when the apartment is empty i do the painting on the kichen table but i am not allowed ofc. Paniced a bit today becouse i couold see some MicaBlue Spray paint on kloth when going over the kitchen table after work was done (Black/Brown table so did not see it at first), so i had to go over the hole table with Alcohol and hope the table paint tid not go off but that went OK, then i had to Air all these Vapours out before 3 girls where coming home (My wife and 2 kids, oldest daughter dont live in the apartmen, yeah a lot of girls) so i opened up all windows and porch door, with -10 outside the temp goes pretty fast down that way inside but hey odour for TS spray need to go.  The  now Mica Blue kitchen cloth had to go so i found a identical Kitchen cloth (they where also blue but not Mica Blue) and replace it, The Mica Blue went to the bottom of the trashcan never to be found... Hopefully.

Wife came home after work 10 min ago now and did not Notice, so i live another day, she is now walking for picking up the Girls at kindergarden, i need to go over to make sure all traces of TS Mica blue and TS-13 (thats clear so that hide itself) are gone.

So that s my life with 3 girls in the same apartment and my Tamiya Hobby wich only 1 daugher show vague interest in, i hope one day i get atleast 1 of them hooked if not this madness must continiue. 

• Like 2

That does not sound like fun, good for you keeping at it.  I jsut had my first daughter (5 months now), really hoping she takes an interest.  Of course I wont force her into anything, but it owuld be nice to share some interests like I had with my father.  

I have definitely gotten in trouble before spraying in the basement or baking glued tires in the oven or dying parts in one of her pots :)  I think we've all been there before...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simalarion said:

I live in a city and my workspace is about 5 feet (1.5m) by 7 ft (2.1m)—that's not even including the table, drawer and a few storage bins. :lol:

I've got this:

20210116_155355

Its my first screwdriver. When I started building Tamiyas in the 80's, my folks weren't big on the idea of me using tools. My dad's tools were not to be messed with. As a somewhat grudging acceptance that I was not to be swayed, my mother got me a cheap set of screwdrivers for a Christmas present. Its not JIS of course, but its what I had and I put together all my childhood models with it. Its still with me today.

I've been a mechanic of some sort for the majority of my adult life. I'm not a tool nut like many others in the trade however. I have a "small"  rollaway toolbox common to mechanics in the 70's. If it was good enough for my idol, Bill Grumpy Jenkins' shop, it is good enough for me. No monster Snap-On or MAC boxes filled to the top for me. My most important tool by far are these:

20210116_155755

They're getting old and arthritis is creeping in but I couldn't do without them. They're stupid-big and pretty strong compared to the rest of my stick-like frame. It takes patience not to crush or over tighten things (my wife hates what I do to lids, overtightening or stripping them altogether) but I wouldn't give them up for anything. I can't think of a tool I have that's this important to my existence. Whether its working blind in a '58 Cadillac door, laying a pinstripe, setting a ball diff or mounting SRB tires, they can do it all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2