Chaosfruitbat

Best Tamiya for snow

Some shots of my Mad Force/TXT-2 in the snow.  The Mad Force is a blast in the snow, kicks up some serious powder on 4s :)  

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

Here’s my E-Revo, the first two is when it still had the twin 550’s and the third is after I swapped up to the 775.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:50 AM, Chaosfruitbat said:

Its snowing poperly here in West Yorkshire, so time to put on the wellies and go for a play. Tried my crawler, but the snow is too deep (and it is really heavy), so its the lunchbox next, then the comical grasshopper followed by the Konghead.

Anybody tried driving in the snow, what works well?

what part of W Yorkshire are you in?

Neither of these two!

Yaris filled itself up with snow in about 30 seconds, although the rally block tyres are pretty good in the snow and it's drifts nicely it's not really got the ground clearance for it!

Lunchbox just had a sport tuned fitted this morning and probably didn't do it any favours, it's a handful generally and in the snow should be renamed as a comical!

Definitely need 4wd and good ground clearance!

DSC_3347.JPG

DSC_3351.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chaosfruitbat said:

Near Wakefield

I use to live in Bradford so I know Wakie well, I now live in the Highlands of Scotland so I know snow very well. Did you get much down your way?

18 hours ago, DayRider said:

I use to live in Bradford so I know Wakie well, I now live in the Highlands of Scotland so I know snow very well. Did you get much down your way?

We got a decent drop of snow, enough to stop the traffic for a couple of days. Thankfully I am just outside the city, so I had plenty of fresh snow all to myself :)

56 minutes ago, G-rem said:

@Nwc100 this red look stunning on your Yaris, what paint did you use for that result ?

Thanks !

Thanks, I used PS37 translucent red about three coats, 1 super light one then 2 normal coats, then the PS48 two light coats to cover completely and the backed it in black all over, it darker than I was looking for.

Having taken some advice on some other colours I've tried I would be tempted to try PS37 as above then 2 super light coats of PS36 maybe back it with some form of red and then finally back it in white.

I'm sure someone will say the second option potentially doesn't need the red PS60 or whatever you red you choose, I'm no expert and just wing them with a lot of advice from people here.

I try and do testers with old drinks bottles and the old PS cans, or new ones!! And see what combo's I like and what works, DONT let any 5 year olds "help" I'm sure mine mixed the testers up we did last time!

I've done another one since in a green of some description used Translucent yellow, translucent silver, florescent green and then white, it came out much lighter without the black, and is my favourite so far.

This morning we did some form of orange using translucent yellow, translucent silver, camel yellow and we obviously ran out of white on a Sunday!!

The very knowledgeable @Ryz82 has been particularly helpful.

I was thinking of starting a custom colours topic keeping it simple with a couple of photos, list of paints used and a brief overview, I'm not massively into box art as I think that's probably harder than my freestyle!

DSC_3398.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

DSC_3244.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nwc100 said:

I was thinking of starting a custom colours topic keeping it simple with a couple of photos, list of paints used and a brief overview,

Yes! Please do this. There are great ideas/solutions scattered throughout the archives, but having them collected with examples would be a great tool.

• Like 2

Bah! Look at all you Northern Hemispherers (is that even a word) with your action shots of your RC, in all their glory, churning through the snow.

Closest I get to RC in the snow, would be if I used them to help defrost my freezer here in Aus. 

So far we're having a pretty mild and average summer here, if it ends up peaking like it has past few years, i may have to start a "what Tamiya is good for not melting to the pavement" thread, haha.

In all seriousness, looks like a great time, wish we had an opportunity down here for such bashing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

The very knowledgeable @Ryz82 has been particularly helpful.

I was thinking of starting a custom colours topic keeping it simple with a couple of photos, list of paints used and a brief overview, I'm not massively into box art as I think that's probably harder than my freestyle!

Great idea.

@G-rem I'm also anti box-art; generally i just look for inspiration either real-world or photos/images online, and just try and find cans and combinations that i think might work - i don't airbrush, so colours are limited with cans - and then as @Nwc100 said its about trial and error on either lexan cutoffs from previous shells, or i tend to use A4 clear protective covers (similar to the old over-head projector sheets from schools). I find the A4 sheet makes it easier if i want to test colours next to each other with clean masking, otherwise soft drink bottles are also an option.

The grasshopper since it’s currently my most complete car and because we have a little snow but if I had my choice it would either be my thunder shot or my lunch box 

NxjIpUn.jpg

• Like 1

@Ryz82 sorry you're missing out on the snow, but Australia must have its fair share of dream playgrounds like the desert, the outback in general and your beautiful shores! What others do in the snow you could probably do in the sand :) maybe fit some of those blue little freezer ice packs around the ESC to thelp the fan? I'm sure some ghetto mods can be figured out to keep the cool in your electronics while ripping in the scorching heat

• Haha 1

2 most important things for snow are tyres and ground clearance!

When we head up to mountains, I take the following cars 3 cars

1. Bruiser

2. RC4WD Gelande II 

3. XV01 Pro

Optionals

1. SRB

2. Scorpion

The Bruiser / Gelande with RC4WD mudslingers will pretty much climb anything. The XV01 obviously has a limited ride height, but in areas like parking lots covered in snow.. it’s an absolute blast with the rallye block. The new softer rallye blocks are even better! 

The SRB and Scorpion being 2WD can be a handful, but again with right tyres, they will go.  I put a set of proline sand paddles on my scorpion, and it followed the Gelande all the way up the trail without getting stuck

60E52567-F957-4C90-AEC0-03BFEDB05AA6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

@Ryz82 sorry you're missing out on the snow, but Australia must have its fair share of dream playgrounds like the desert, the outback in general and your beautiful shores! What others do in the snow you could probably do in the sand :) maybe fit some of those blue little freezer ice packs around the ESC to thelp the fan? I'm sure some ghetto mods can be figured out to keep the cool in your electronics while ripping in the scorching heat

Ha!

Dont get me wrong we have some decent places around for some loose dirt action. Sadly ATM all my local haunts are either rock hard and bone dry, which means the buggies can take a beating - which when ive already replaced broken arms and missing dog-bones on the HotShot for the umpteenth time as a result of such surfaces, is less appealing - or they are covered in uncut dry grass; though this is at least usable.

Touch wood we've only had a couple of days in the 40s so far this year, so fingers crossed it stays mild and can get out for some more runs.

At least with the snow you guys have no cleanup, just let it meld haha ... here with the lose dirt and sand (think beach) its a pain to then clean after. Compressed (canned) air and brush can only get you so far cleaning.

• Like 1