Dazsww

Full forward cut out

Hi guys,

Haven't used my car much the last 2 years and wondering if the battery is on the way out, or something else?

When you accelerate full forward it stops, if you go up to roughly 60-70% it will run fine.

Reverse is never a problem, only forward.

One thing where it changes, if I lift the car off the ground and accelerate it's fine, but on the ground behaviour as above but not sure what this reduced torque setting means.

It has an NiMH battery which is quite a few years old now, I've ran it through a few charge cycles, but the problem remains, voltage on the battery is good but I know there could be other issues.

Cheers.

Sounds like a broken battery to me. Had a similar situation and in the end I had taken the wrong (empty) battery. With a fresh one everything was fine.

• Like 2

What ESC do you have, and does it have LiPo cutoff?  If the LiPo cutoff is enabled then the voltage drop when you accelerate hard could cause it to stop.  Depending on the ESC, it will either come back on again when power rises or it will remain in cutoff mode.  Most ESCs will allow you to turn off the LiPo cutoff, instructions will be in the manual.

When the car stops, does the steering servo keep working or does that stop too?  It could be that your radio is browning out.  If the voltage drops under hard acceleration, the radio might not have enough power to operate and it will switch off, until voltage rises and it comes back on again.  This is more likely the problem if your ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff.

Either way it sounds like your NiMH battery is past its best - they don't last forever and sometimes aren't good if not used regularly, so if changing the LiPo cutoff doesn't fix it (or you don't have that feature), maybe it's time for a new battery.

I had similar issues.  I found that the Nimh batteries I was using couldn’t put out the amps needed and it would cut off. I switched to lipo and the problem went away. 

• Like 1

ESC is a Tamiya TEU-104BK.

The steering keeps working when the acceleration cuts out.

Sounds like a new battery is the thing to try.

What sort of batteries are you guys using these days?

I’m using a Helios RC 7.4v shorty battery. They are made locally to me and my LHS carries them. Works great...

Terry

I would try and re bind your receiver and re set your end points on your ESC.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:41 PM, Dazsww said:

ESC is a Tamiya TEU-104BK.

The steering keeps working when the acceleration cuts out.

Sounds like a new battery is the thing to try.

What sort of batteries are you guys using these days?

Sounds like the NiMH is either on its way out, or despite what your charger maybe telling you, isn't getting a full charge any more.

This, at least in my experience, tends to be pretty common with them. I typically notice/get it after running fine for a few mins on some of my older batteries, its happened occasionally as soon as I've put the battery in and switched on, and in thoses cases it highlighted the charging issue.

And yes, power cycling the ESC usually gets operational again, but as soon as you hit full throttle you'll cut out again.

Running the 104BK you'll better off sticking with NiMH, unless you want to get a separate LiPO monitor/cutoff.