Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Material Question of rims

I am in a discussion abot the material of (most) Tamiya rims. I always thought they are made of PA (Nylon), but my mate thinks thay are ABS.

I think ABS is too brittel and Nylon would be the material becaus e of my logic technical understanding. Then it happened, he dyed white star dish rims (Dyna/TF) and they did not took any colour until he added a little amount of aceton. Aceton speaks for ABS.

Now I made a flame-test. The flame was blue in the center and orange/yellow surrounded. This speaks for Nylon because ABS should not have any blue in the flame.

What do you guys think? Any chemists here on board?

The reaction to Acetone should be far more severe in ABS, I’d do a timed chemical compatibility test, either submerge or apply a drop to each. Also, most (but not all) Nylon grades have a higher melt temperature than ABS, so it might be possible to test this if you have a thermostatically controlled heat gun. Nylon has a higher tensile strength, which is probably why it’s used more in mechanical parts like gears, so you could do some tensile load tests.. Finally... I have a friend with access to an SEM, so if you have a specific part in mind I can add it to his test list.

Hi Lee.
in fact its this rims I am talking about:
53086.jpg

If your mate can analyze them I would be really suprised and I am really curious about the result. Do you have one of them for material sample?