Andyfish2000

Anyone else airbrushing shells at the moment?

Below is a picture of my first properly airbrushed shell that I have spent last couple of days working on.  I have to say, it was probably a little too ambitious for me as masking was a real pain, and I managed to suffer various bleads.  I also am not convinced that the acrylic paint would ever bond to the polycarb and so without the final Tamiya PS Black over it would be coming off at a mere mention of tumble.  I am also attempting a custom Madbull shell for the wife at moment, but again not convinced the paint is particularly up to strength, although I intend to cover with an acrylic gloss varnish so maybe that will help.

So, is anyone else airbrushing, and if so what are you creating and what paints are you using?

IMG_5403.thumb.JPG.0aa0d06225f031c785496ecb90dce551.JPG

• Like 10

I think that looks very good.  Its very hard to get that same fade with spray cans.  

The Colors look great. I don't know what you used for masking, but you can try precut vinyl mask or just vinyl tape mask next time. It seals much better than paper tape.

I am not using airbrush for polycarbonate shells but I like your work a lot. I always loved the classic hot rod flames. Great looking car!

• Like 1

Thanks 67C - Masking tape was not the problem, more my ability to get the complex shape into the shell and on sufficiently.

Thanks Aerobert.

I must admit I was expecting a few more people on here to be airbrushing. What about if I open it up to those who may have done it in the past?

Actually I did use my airbrush for the first time since the beginning of last summer for my blackfoot last week just one single colour but you get a flawless almost glass finish the bruiser was what I did last summer!

20210113_222005.jpg

20191019_134246.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, moffman said:

Actually I did use my airbrush for the first time since the beginning of last summer for my blackfoot last week just one single colour but you get a flawless almost glass finish the bruiser was what I did last summer!

They look really good moffman.  What paint and techniques did you use?  Did you need to wet and dry to get the final finish? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyfish2000 said:

They look really good moffman.  What paint and techniques did you use?  Did you need to wet and dry to get the final finish? 

I dropped the pressure to 1.5 bar normally I have it at just over 2 bar so I get more paint through and because it's only one colour paint and not metallic I was intending to put the decals on then lacquer over with the blackfoot but after I wet and dried the paint (10000 grit) I got such a good finish I didn't bother? The last time I used my spray gun on a plastic body was on this Ford ranger and it went like a hammerite paint finish (don't no if you can make it out in the photo) I have no idea why it did that I just put it down to the fact I painted it in a cold very cold environment?

img37842_25102014121311_3_1100_.jpg

14 hours ago, Andyfish2000 said:

What about if I open it up to those who may have done it in the past?

I've done 2 bodies with an airbrush.

I sprayed them in my loft, so instead of dragging the 150ltr compressor up the stairs, I bought a can of compressed air.

I got the masks off eBay, which made life easier, and as a first attempt, used black first too.

2018-03-15_08-27-56

Although my measurements where off slightly, laying the bonnet mask...🤦‍♂️

(And the headlights are white , the last colour in the gun, I thought they'd look like headlights, but just looks like I've left the mask on!!) 

2018-03-15_08-27-45

Also did my Dark Impact, again with masks off eBay.

2020-08-18_11-08-23

I've just bought another body, mainly as I'm removing the body posts, fitting an antenna less RX (Or just tuck the antenna along the body),  and using Velcro around the sides. But was going to go with a similar design to yours.

Nice.  :)

FYI, I have used a mixture of Vallejo Premium and Hobbynox paints, both intended for lexan/polycarb.  However, not sure how good they will compare to Tamiya sprays for longevity on a runner.  Have you guys founds yours ok when running?