Carmine A

Carmine's FF Chassis Addiction!!

THIS has been a long time coming! A long time WAITING. This is the very start of what I'm calling "Life 2.0" ๐Ÿ˜ย  What does that mean? WELL...... After more than 9 years of living destitute, begging like an animal - and being harshly shunned for it. After not knowing how we were going to make Co-Pays, or some weeks EAT......ย 

It's ALL OVER! Covered for the rest of my Life, providing for Kids and my Grandbabies.... Time to get SPOILED!!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Šย  So the first of the Kits I'll be doing, is the FF-03, which some of you already know.ย 

I DOVE RIGHT IN and started building! So I missed out on doing a step by step... Which is OK, because there's Guys here who can do it much better than I. ๐Ÿ˜œย 

I will be posting highlights, and all modifications here... There might be a small chance that I come up with something that you guys hadn't thought of. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

It could happen!!! ๐Ÿ˜œ

These will also end up out of order.... As I get to processing pictures of the build. I promise I'll be more organised by the next Build. I just got EXCITED!!ย 

Starting in the middle, with a different way of fitting the Servo, offering more protection, then doing the same for the other side, for the ESC and Reciever.ย  I guess for Racing Weight - the Chassis is quite narrow!

Starting with the Servo fitting, 20kg, all Metal Geared for some OVERKILL!!! ๐Ÿ˜œย spacer.pngThanks to the 2.4GHz Radio, I can do enough adjustments to keep this 20kg Servo from RIPPING apart the Steering Gear!!ย 

In the FF03, the Servo is held in with the typical two Screws.... But the support is a wide open Plastic Frame, that leaves the Servo basically hanging over the side of the Chassis, COMPLETELY open and exposed to Road Debris and abrasives!! I'm compelled to FIX that!ย spacer.png.... I'm notorious for making odd shapes out of Styrene. ๐Ÿ˜œย  (I'll STILL be using my Poorman's Shapeways when possible!! I like working with Styrene)๐Ÿ˜‰

spacer.pngLike THIS!! I've filled the hole......ย 

spacer.pngJust a bit of reengineering!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

spacer.pngAND it will also help prevent Pebbles from being kicked into the Steering by the Tires!!ย 

spacer.pngTried to make it look as good as possible... but its first function, IS function!ย 

spacer.pngOf COURSE my OCD had to do the OTHER side - so it's symmetrical!!! ๐Ÿ˜œ

I'm really having so much fun building AND modifying this! BTW, they DO clear the Body on each side, by at least 18mm. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 5

..... This would be out of order no matter what - because I can't do step ONE yet! ๐Ÿ˜–ย 

Because I opted for a Gear Diff, I need a Tamiya 54398 Gear Diff Gearbox Case.........ย 

And I couldn't find ONE in the U.S.!!! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ So I was forced to order from CHINA! They don't like shipping to the U.S. anymore, and whatever it takes you to receive an order to Europe and the UK... ADD 2-3 WEEKS to that. ๐Ÿ˜–ย  Good News though! I checked Tracking, andย I should be getting it soon.ย 

I'm GOING to have questions! I'm hoping I can count on the vast experience you Guys here have. Yes, this is FAR from my first Rodeo.... But it's the first of this type I've ever built, and I'm already finding things a little odd.

Like if I had used the bog standard Ball Diff - it comes with PLASTIC Outdrives!!! Do they actually hold up??ย 

And I'm taking suggestions for getting rid of the SLOP in the Steering. No, it's not as bad as others (TT02, CC01!! ๐Ÿ˜–), but the Suspension is so nice and tight. There HAS to be something. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1

Finishing up with Chassis Mods.....ย spacer.pngย just to satisfy my OCD!! ๐Ÿ˜œย spacer.pngย I HAD to widen the Left Tray/Guard.ย spacer.pngย It just seemed like the right thing to do! ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

spacer.pngย No.... It's not total protection. But then, this isn't an Off-Road Car!!ย spacer.pngย ..... At LEAST it's not strung all over the Car. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย spacer.pngย Most of the time, I might not be able to see the Switch... But at least the DECKAL faces the right direction!!ย 

spacer.pngย REALLY! I had no less potent Servos on hand. And I know that several People will disagree with me not using a sloppy Servo Saver.... And I have helped defendย the Right for others to have differing views!ย  I've been running this exact same setup on 10lb plus Crawlers (which almost NONE of them use Servo Savers anyway).ย 

These are not the 2-3kg, all PLASTIC geared Servos from the 80's. I'll RIP off a Wheel - or Hub - before I do any damage to this Servo!!ย 

Plus.... ZERO SLOP!! ๐Ÿ˜ย  I just wish I knew this stuff back when I was actually Racing. Of course back then, we didn't have ANY Servo that could take any kind of beating...ย 

SO, onwards!!ย spacer.pngย Those slots in the Battery Tray are also from the past. Remember those "Matched NiCd Battery Sets", so we could get that extra 10-15 seconds of runtime? And that MARGINALLY better Discharge rate - for an exorbitant cost!!??ย ๐Ÿ˜Šย spacer.png

spacer.pngย The Battery really holds it in place anyway. I generally don't have issues with these Servos.... BUT, if I glued the Plate in, you can BET I would! ๐Ÿ˜œย spacer.pngย It will do exactly what I need it to do....ย spacer.pngย I've never had a Lipo damaged or worse - EXPLODE!!! ๐Ÿ’ฃ ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ I can't guarantee that it will never happen. However, I try to take steps towards Safety... At least with Lipo handling.ย 

In most other areas of my Life, I'm a blooming MANIAC!!! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…ย  Always try to stay SAFE Guys, especially with these Batteries. Treated with respect, they're as docile as any other Battery... You just need to take a few more precautions.ย 

HOPEFULLY, my Gear Diff Gearbox Case will arrive soon, so I can do STEP ONE!! At least the part is finally on U.S. soil!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ย  Left Los Angeles yesterday, so I can actually look forward to getting it!

• Like 6

Working out of order!! ๐Ÿ˜œ Front Diff (well, ONLY Diff!)ย spacer.png

I started to build the Ball Diff it came with - but getting the SCREW started was about the biggest FAFF in my Life!! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜  SO I went with this Yeah Racing Gear Diff. It comes with 50T and 52T Carrier Gears. The FF-03 takes the 52T, the 50T fits the M07 (which I'm ALSO getting!) ๐Ÿ˜ย  It looks very well built, and assembled easily!ย spacer.pngย All I had on hand was this 50K Diff Oil. I'm hoping that it's thick enough. The Drive Cups turn with a good deal of resistance, we'll see. I'm thinking at least 100K.... What do YOU think?ย spacer.pngย I know it's hard to see, and I apologize. Doing as I was taught years ago, I added some of the Diff Oil after fitting the Drive Gear, before fitting the Spider Gear Set.ย  Saves bleed time - especially when you get into the much thicker Oils. ๐Ÿ˜ย 

The REASON for my long wait....ย spacer.pngย The Gear Diff SITS in the Ball Diff's Case.... But doesn't FIT!! So I've had to order a Gear Diff Gearbox Case from CHINA!!! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ญย  After nearly 4 weeks, it's finally on U.S. soil. So I'll be getting it SOON!!

spacer.pngย I've got one Hobbywing WP1060 ESC left... It does handle 3S, and should be up to the task.ย spacer.png This is the Motor I'm starting with. Should be quick on 3S. I've also got a 13T Motor. I want to try to PASS 60mph!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 4

BECAUSE She's built for Speed, I got quite precise with the Setup!!ย spacer.png

The Rear Suspension, I'm a little concerned about...ย spacer.png

I MESSED UP!! When fitting the Front Blocks, I thought that the Arm Bushings ALSO fit IN the Blocks - but the Holes looked a little too small, so I started DRILLING out the Holes in one of them - to 6mm before realising my BLUNDER!!! ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ย 

So I just destroyed one of the Rear Blocks trying to fit it to the Front! When I tried the Drilled out 1XD in the Rear, the Bushings just flopped about, AS expected. SO.......ย spacer.pngย I ended up using a 1Aย in back and a 1Xย in front on the Rear Suspension.... I still have a degree of Toe in, but I think the Rear Track is a bit wider. I hope that doesn't screw up things too badly. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

• Like 2

Are you really sure that you want to go on 3s in a FWD Car?

You will also have a lot of wear on the brushed motors, but I am excited about how it will end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quincy said:

Are you really sure that you want to go on 3s in a FWD Car?

You will also have a lot of wear on the brushed motors, but I am excited about how it will end.

THANKS for joining the party!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Am I SURE?? Well, I don't go for Kevin Talbot level destruction.... I'll take it in steps.ย  WILL be starting with 2S - even though my Friend said he only got 17mph out of his.ย 

I've gone nearly 50mph in a modified 3S M05, and this Car has far better Suspension.... But no, not looking to destroy it. But I will be looking for speed. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

Brushes are Cheap, Brushed Motors are Cheap.... Which is why I'm not going straight to Brushless.

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

really enjoying reading this - your ingenuity makes me smile :)ย 

THANK YOU Jon!!! ๐Ÿ˜Šย  That Comment really made me feel good. Ironically enough, the ingenuity only really came over the past 8 years.....ย 

When my situation was truly dire - but I stubbornly refused to give up my expensive Hobby - because it was the ONLY thing holding my Sanity together!!! ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜‰ย  THANKS to a few selfless People like You, I was able to scratch my way through.ย 

.... And at the same time, NOT being able to afford to just buy anything I needed, forced me to develop a different skillset, using very cheap items, or just what I had on hand, to "Ghetto Engineer" my way out of things I needed to get done. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

I'm very grateful to have been forced to think outside of the Box like that - and will certainly continue!ย  I may be getting a very large sum of money... but if I've learned ANYTHING, it's that nothing lasts forever, and anything can happen. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 2

Those are the sort of circumstances that often result in creating the best solutions to problems - brain power is infinitely more powerful than throwing money at a problem, so I'm really glad you are going to keep it up :)ย 

And you're absolutely right (in my mind at least) about money: I have a friend who's dad started out in social housing and was absolutely determined to be rich. He worked himself ragged for decades,ย making himself ill in the process, until he finally became a millionaire. Instead of taking it easy and enjoying the results of his hard work and sacrificing so much, he carried on trying to get richer, invested in the dot-com bubble and lost everything;ย now he's back living in social housing, unable to get work, ill,ย and miserable.ย The moralย of the story - money won't make you happy. It might make life more comfortable - but it'll never make you happy. Good friends, loving family and self contentย - that's what will make you happy.

As I've mentioned before, I strongly agree that a hobby such as ours is fundamental in maintaining mental health - I know it has helped me a huge amount - so it brings me happiness to see others benefitting from it in a similar way, and I'm tickled a vibrant shade of pink that I couldย help out in a small way :)ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see some progress here.

Since you're using gear diff and 3S, I'd recommend upgrading those gears to steel (54471 Steel Gear Differential Unit for TA-06Pro/FF-03R/XV-01).ย 

• Thanks 1

^ Good advice this.ย 

The plastic diff gears are known to give way even on theย M-07. They are likely to be under even more stress on the FF-03 due to it being bigger and heavier, so the steel upgrade would make sense.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank YOU Both!ย  Duly noted - and Steel Diff Gears are ordered!! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’ฏ

• Like 2

The Gearbox Case FINALLY arrived!!!ย spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

ย 

spacer.png

Is the Gear Diff Case WIDER?? I had trouble fitting it.ย ย 

spacer.pngย DEFINITELY going to want a Blue one!!ย spacer.pngย I am going to advance the Timing a bit!!ย 

spacer.pngย Not my neatest, but it works!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ย spacer.png

spacer.png ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

• Like 3

The blue motor plate/mount came with the Pro, R and Evo versions. But I would suggest changing the suspension mounts to aluminum first. Also chassis stiffeners.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nicadraus said:

The blue motor plate/mount came with the Pro, R and Evo versions. But I would suggest changing the suspension mounts to aluminum first. Also chassis stiffeners.

DEFINITELY want to get the Aluminum Suspension Blocks - but they're just NOT available anywhere on the Continent. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญย  asap though.

And Chassis Stiffeners, aluminum or CF?

LAST Piece of the Drivetrain puzzle arrived!!!ย spacer.pngย They're all Steel, and in my experience, have been MORE durable than some Tamiya CVDs!!ย spacer.pngย YUP!!! HPI parts!! ๐Ÿ˜œ I had to do a LOT of searching for what was actually in stock. Turns out that RS4 Rear CVDs are a PERFECT fit in the FF-03 with Gear Diff!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ย spacer.pngย And they really are STRONG.ย spacer.pngย MINUS the Aluminum Suspension Blocks I forgot about - and CAN'T get right now, and Chassis Stiffeners....ย 

spacer.pngย Got the Alignment set just right, for a baseline anyway.ย  This RPM Wheel Angle Gauge was a fantastic Investment!! ๐Ÿ˜ย spacer.pngspacer.pngย EXCEPT of all strange things - it's SNOWING IN ARIZONA!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ณโ„โ„

spacer.pngย UGH!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ญ (that's 1ยฐ C!)ย  That's what IMPATIENCE gets you!ย spacer.pngย STILL thinking Mondeo or Sierra Cossie. Failing to find those.... I saw a Mk5 Golf pretty Cheap...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

DEFINITELY want to get the Aluminum Suspension Blocks - but they're just NOT available anywhere on the Continent. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญย  asap though.

CF for the rear, aluminum for the front.

The CF rear chassis stiffener is available from Tamiyaย 54264 and 3R FF-03-12/WO. While the front upper arm mount, Tamiyaย 84361and 3Rย FF03-06/LB

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya-ff03-option-c-581_582_2145.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-tb-03-suspension-mount-1xd-54064-00027509

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-tb-03-suspension-mount-1a-54069-00027496

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

CF for the rear, aluminum for the front.

The CF rear chassis stiffener is available from Tamiyaย 54264 and 3R FF-03-12/WO. While the front upper arm mount, Tamiyaย 84361and 3Rย FF03-06/LB

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya-ff03-option-c-581_582_2145.html

VERY useful. Thank you so much!! I almost wonder if I should get other size Blocks, to play with the Rear Toe...

Small update.... Started on the DECKALS!! (Sorry, no offence, that one just cracks me up๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜œ)ย ย spacer.pngย When doing Windows, especially when there's clear Vinyl that's supposed to cover the Lexan... I ALWAYS cut that out of the center. Not that difficult really. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

spacer.png Even though I haven't cleaned the Body yet, I can definitely see the difference without the Vinyl over what's basically thin Plexiglass. Can you see a difference? Do you do this yourself? ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 2

Looks really good. I used to have my 1997 BTCC Laguna on a FF03 chassis for a bit, now it's on a TB02.ย 

20210109_060410.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@InsaneJim69ย Thank you so much!! Yours is looking GREAT too! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ย 

Mine still has a little ways to go. Chassis is basically done, but not tweaked yet, and waiting for some Hopups to be available again! ๐Ÿ˜–ย 

And because I want to do an English Body, I have to order from over the Pond. But I've wanted into the "FF Chassis Club" for quite a while, and I'm very happy so far with my first.

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Small update.... Started on the DECKALS!! (Sorry, no offence, that one just cracks me up๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜œ)ย ย spacer.pngย When doing Windows, especially when there's clear Vinyl that's supposed to cover the Lexan... I ALWAYS cut that out of the center. Not that difficult really. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

spacer.png Even though I haven't cleaned the Body yet, I can definitely see the difference without the Vinyl over what's basically thin Plexiglass. Can you see a difference? Do you do this yourself? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Always! Tamiya bodies are so shiny, I hate to have a clearย vinyl layer over a window. Just feels not good. It is like having not done a good job. I always try to reduce the clear vinyl area as much as I can.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:21 AM, wtcc5 said:

Always! Tamiya bodies are so shiny, I hate to have a clearย vinyl layer over a window. Just feels not good. It is like having not done a good job. I always try to reduce the clear vinyl area as much as I can.

Absolutely! Also since you Race more seriously than I do now - Vinyl does add Weight! No, not a lot, but it does weigh more than Polycarbonate.

And of course it just looks better! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1