Sign in to follow this  
100mega

Reverse function suddenly acting strange on Hornet

I took my fairly newish Hornet (semi XB) out for its second run today this isn’t in front of or inside  my house and started having a strange issue with reverse. Forward behaves as expected and is quite perky as we only ran it on my 5000 mah battery for about 20 min. If I start to reverse it only does it for a few seconds like maybe two feet and slower than usual, then stops. I can make it fail immediately if I max out the steering to one side or the other. Strangely if it isn’t sitting on the ground or has the wheels removed it either doesn’t have a problem or stops after going way longer more like 10 secs. It’s like if there is any resistance it’s more likely to stop. See pic for my equipment. The ESC and silver can motor came with it. It was a little damp outside, but not too bad and no water had appeared to make its way into the chassis. I tried reprogramming the ESC, steering trim, checked wiring, replaced batteries in my remote and cleaned it all up real nice. Not sure what’s going on. I am going to try to recharge the battery pack, but I’m worried it might stop showing the problem unless I run it back down again. One thing to note is that the gearbox bucks when the reverse stops working almost as if the ESC is getting a forward command although I’m still just holding reverse. Nothing felt like it was overheating. 

7155C4A1-9445-496E-9E6C-7D626531F4FA.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, it was the throttle trim! When I was outside I tried that and felt like it wasn’t the issue, but it’s totally fine now. 

• Like 1

The new xsa hornet ? I was going to get just to have but I already have a hornet so tough to justify getting another. Have fun! It’s a joy to drive 

EC17D0E5-E5F5-4010-9A63-F27E8391FB56.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

The new xsa hornet ? I was going to get just to have but I already have a hornet so tough to justify getting another. Have fun! It’s a joy to drive 

EC17D0E5-E5F5-4010-9A63-F27E8391FB56.jpeg

Yeah! The prepainted one was just $20 more than the kit so I figured I could save some money on buying paint and come out even. It’s so nice looking that I was a little scared to damage the perfect body, but it’s so fun to drive that it’s worth it. It’s my first vintage model and I’m wanting The Frog next. I’m excited to find out how different they are. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 100mega said:

Yeah! The prepainted one was just $20 more than the kit so I figured I could save some money on buying paint and come out even. It’s so nice looking that I was a little scared to damage the perfect body, but it’s so fun to drive that it’s worth it. It’s my first vintage model and I’m wanting The Frog next. I’m excited to find out how different they are. 

Nice ! How is the driver detail ?

Nice ! How is the driver detail ?

He’s got a bit of a blank expression! Haha. I’m tempted to add pupils, but he’ll no doubt end up with google eyes if I’m not careful enough. I don’t know why this pic insisted on posting upside down. 

B84ED5DB-53D6-4101-BD6E-A7DEE598E4F2.jpeg

8 minutes ago, 100mega said:

He’s got a bit of a blank expression! Haha. I’m tempted to add pupils, but he’ll no doubt end up with google eyes if I’m not careful enough. I don’t know why this pic insisted on posting upside down. 

B84ED5DB-53D6-4101-BD6E-A7DEE598E4F2.jpeg

Use a sharpie fine point marker !

Use a sharpie fine point marker !

I need to find one with a more fine tip. Thanks for the idea. 

My issue with the reverse function came up again today. I really don’t know what the problem is. I’m most likely going to have to wait until I get another ESC to figure it out. 

9 minutes ago, 100mega said:

I just took a video on my lunch break. I mention it in the video, but if I ease on to the reverse gently and gradually increase speed it tends to stall less, but still happens eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNjUXEL_w8

Hmm very odd. Do you have any other rc cars ? To possibly mix and match to troubleshoot? Got to be issue with ESC or receiver.