charlo

lipo cutoff question

Hi guys ! First timer here, just got a lunchbox with a 2s lipo and a hobbywing 1060 esc. I made sure to put the jumper in the right place on the esc but when I put my battery in storage today I noticed that the 2 voltage readings on the charger were showing 2.7V. Isn't the esc supposed to cut the power when the cells get below 3.x volt ? I'm assuming the car will just stop in it's track right ?

The charger is a rdx mini if it's of any help. Thanks for your help !

Not familiar with your charger but usually if its a lipo charger with balance charging features, it wont even let you initiate any of the programs since the battery is below the threshold... with that in mind, you may want to verify the actual voltage in each cells by using a multimeter... could it be that your charger needs some voltage calibration? 

Quicrun 1060 in lipo mode should reduce power to 50% at 6.5v and turn off at 6v. It doesn't measure individual cell voltages though so it's just estimating 3.25v and 3.0v respectively. 

I have a 1060 that cuts power wayyyy to early. Like at 4v so be careful. It may be letting it get too low. A lipo alarm is only a few quid off eBay and worth the investment.

As above, esc's only measure the total output, so if the battery isn't balance charged right, and/Or there's a duff cell, it only stop when it reaches a 6v output , be it 3v/3v or 2.5v/3.5v etc.

Highlights the importance of always balance charging, as that cell will always be a weak cell now, so will probably drop to that voltage, at cut off every time. I'd start looking for a replacement.

1 hour ago, DrGoatboy said:

I have a 1060 that cuts power wayyyy to early.

You'll find low turn motors (high current draw) and low C batteries (low current output) ,will pull the voltage down under load, triggering the low volt cut off.

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

You'll find low turn motors (high current draw) and low C batteries (low current output) ,will pull the voltage down under load, triggering the low volt cut off.

Would be surprised if this is the case, I only run a 21t and it's a core RC stick pack 30/60c 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Is a Lunchbox even usable with a low turn motor? :D

Even my King Blackfoot on a 14x1 and 8.4v wheelies so much under the slightest throttle that is is a right handful and that is a truck that was not regarded as a wheelie machine.... :)

I've got ten HW1060's now, half of them running with low turn motors and LiPo's and the cut off seems to be working OK, not had the issue reported by OP at all so maybe I'm just lucky? or maybe the specific 1060 is faulty?

Having said that, mine doesn't seem to reduce power at all. It just runs until it cuts out at around 3v per cell (or it cuts out correctly when I overheat it by running too tall a gearing option). The cheap'ish SkyRc T100 charger has always managed to charge them after this point but I do always balance charge.

I am personally not that impressed by the SkyRc charger as it is dreadful for charging NiMh/NiCd packs and doesn't have a discharge option for them either so I tend to use my 20yr old PRO-PEAK super nova charger for those. So far it seems OK with the LiPo's but time will tell. Now that I have more LiPo's and I'm buying HV ones too I'm thinking I should invest in a better quality LiPo charger AND some LiPo alarms for the buggies too. It is alot of money invested in LiPo already and I'd like them to last for a good few years.

1 hour ago, DrGoatboy said:

Would be surprised if this is the case, I only run a 21t and it's a core RC stick pack 30/60c 

Yeah, doubt that's the issue, although the wee plug in lipo alarms are only around a quid, I used one to double check mine. 

57 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Is a Lunchbox even usable with a low turn motor? :D

Someone on here is running one with brushless on 6s! Anything's possible...😳😂😂

• Like 1