Indetrucks

Talk me out of bidding on this Blazing Blazer

Hey gang,

This Blazing Blazer popped up on feeBay and I was wondering if it's worth picking up?  I know the values have sky rocketed but I'm going to thin the Tamiya heard in order to make room for one of these rare unicorns.  I admit, my Vintage Tamiya skills have not been up to snuff recently so I am posting here to the Tamiya gods for advice on this particular BB.  Other than the obvious high price, is there anything on this particular example that should cause me to "look elsewhere?"   The only thing I really noticed was the addition of the shocks... particularly the rear set up as it looks a little "rigged" using nuts as spacers.

Any pro's or con's on this particular example?

Thanks!

• Like 1

One of these sold last Sunday in need of restoration within a few hours @  £1100 on a 'Buy it now.'

It looked complete and pretty good but in need of a nut and bolt strip down.

The bits to look out for are-

1. The bonnet usually has a split where the front mount goes through it

2. The front wing tips usually get broken off

3. The roll cage can punch out the mounting points when it rolls

4. The rear lights are the 1st thing to get lost and the hardest part to buy as vintage and not resin repo

5. The roll cages usually have broken mounting points

Other than that the roof and the servo cage are specific to this model.

Hope that helps.

Simon

• Like 1

Hello, seems pretty good example, beautiful color too, no front damage, i would go for it.

It does look nice and original . As pointed out above , check to see if you can get a pic of the body underside to look for repaired damage  - the only problem I can see is it's a bit of a smoker - or at least the driver is ;)

6 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

It does look nice and original . As pointed out above , check to see if you can get a pic of the body underside to look for repaired damage  - the only problem I can see is it's a bit of a smoker - or at least the driver is ;)

Good call, just emailed the seller.  Will see if he provides any additional pics.

Still on the hunt, was outbid by $25.  I hate when someone else wants something more than me and has deeper pocket.  
My wife was happy I lost that one though.

• Sad 2

I would keep checking this link before buying any $2000 Tamiya vintage kits next few days, unless you really have to have the 30 year old version.

There was mysteriously a run of vintage Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider kits suddenly available on Ebay before May 2009 and March 2010.

You never know, they've released virtually everything else so far...I would hedge my bets.

Tamiya will be releasing the 2021 schedule on January 24th at 11pm PST!

https://www.tamiyausa.com/blog/tamiya-special-early-2021-new-product-presentation/

• Like 1

Wish they release it same as the old one, because to get parts almost impossible. It would be 40 years anniversary ?

2 hours ago, Indetrucks said:

Still on the hunt, was outbid by $25.  I hate when someone else wants something more than me and has deeper pocket.  
My wife was happy I lost that one though.

There should be others in time, they are rare but not impossible to source. 
I’ve bought for over the last 6 years.

Its a shame we are on different continents otherwise I would consider offering you my last one. 

1 hour ago, zappto said:

Wish they release it same as the old one, because to get parts almost impossible. It would be 40 years anniversary ?

The Hilux was  June 1981, so if they drop that this year on the 40 year anniversary, definitely the BB will follow for 2022 or maybe even late 2021, just like the Mountaineer followed the Bruiser re-re. 

But hey, I'm just guessing - no one thought you'd ever be able to buy a Sand Scorcher or Rough Rider NIB again. 

BTW TamiyaUSA has "coming soon" on the Super Champ re-release - which was previously marked discontinued - so I wouldn't go jumping on the price gouged $600 and $800 re re kits on Ebay unless you really gotta have one now. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

There should be others in time, they are rare but not impossible to source. 
I’ve bought for over the last 6 years.

Its a shame we are on different continents otherwise I would consider offering you my last one. 

Thanks for the thought, I can't even begin to imagine the cost of shipping that heavy to the states.