rwordenjr

2021 RERE'S OF INTEREST OR NAH ?

The Hotshot 2 thing isnt even a rumour, it was just the guy guessing on what might be released.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Flagging myself as an imbecile here, but; -what's the difference between the Hotshot and Hotshot 2? 

Pretty much everything except the wheels, tyres, bumper, rollcage, gearboxes and upper front wisbones. Parts-wise they are two totally different buggies that just happen to look similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If everything is true... I would want both the Egress and HotShot II. 

If I can find them before they sell out. 

39 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Pretty much everything except the wheels, tyres, bumper, rollcage, gearboxes and upper front wisbones. Parts-wise they are two totally different buggies that just happen to look similar.

Huh, I shall have to read up on that then. I've always (mistakenly) thought of it as not the Hotshot and not the Supershot, but that's probably unfair from what you're saying. Thanks! 

Now to find the Fire Dragon  thread and see what the differences are between that and the Terra Scorcher. 

• Like 1

I've listed most of the differences on page 1 of this thread

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Huh, I shall have to read up on that then. I've always (mistakenly) thought of it as not the Hotshot and not the Supershot, but that's probably unfair from what you're saying. Thanks!

That's not a bad way of thinking of it actually as it's not like either of them parts-wise, apart from those that I mentioned above.

Supershot is basically a Hotshot with hop-up parts fitted. Hotshot 2 throws away most of the main design of the Hotshot/Supershot apart from gearboxes & monocoque chassis and then starts from scratch.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wandy said:

That's not a bad way of thinking of it actually as it's not like either of them parts-wise, apart from those that I mentioned above.

Supershot is basically a Hotshot with hop-up parts fitted. Hotshot 2 throws away most of the main design of the Hotshot/Supershot apart from gearboxes & monocoque chassis and then starts from scratch.

I've always thought of the HSII as an evolution of the Hotshot I, rather than a complete re-design. The core of the car is the mechanism deck, transmission,  roll cage, and bumper, and all that is the same.  There's not much to compare between the changes from the hotshot to supershot, and the hotshot to hotshot II (supershot has different shock layout, new drive shafts, new shell, new speed controller, new tires, gold plated wheels, different motor, full bearings, removed front anti roll bar, new underguard). (Hotshot II has different rear shock layout (Front is slightly different but still monoshock, new drive shafts (Same as supershot), new shell, new speed controller, access hatch, new front uprights, deleted rear anti roll bar, and a new underguard). So actually there's fewer differences between the HS I and HS II than there is between HSI and supershot)

If you were to compare the re-re hotshot we have now against any potential re-re hotshot II, there would be even fewer differences as the re-re hotshot already has the mechanism deck access, different drive shafts, and new front uprights. The only differences would be revised front suspension, new rear suspension, a new underguard, and a new bodyshell.

9 hours ago, Wandy said:

Is it that different? I honestly thought it was exactly the same apart from the shocks and slightly different body! That's why when it originally came out I didn't really take much notice of it other than the silver box it came in wondering why it was silver not white? And up until now I've never found out why???

18 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I've always thought of the HSII as an evolution of the Hotshot I, rather than a complete re-design. The core of the car is the mechanism deck, transmission,  roll cage, and bumper, and all that is the same.  There's not much to compare between the changes from the hotshot to supershot, and the hotshot to hotshot II (supershot has different shock layout, new drive shafts, new shell, new speed controller, new tires, gold plated wheels, different motor, full bearings, removed front anti roll bar, new underguard). (Hotshot II has different rear shock layout (Front is slightly different but still monoshock, new drive shafts (Same as supershot), new shell, new speed controller, access hatch, new front uprights, deleted rear anti roll bar, and a new underguard). So actually there's fewer differences between the HS I and HS II than there is between HSI and supershot)

If you were to compare the re-re hotshot we have now against any potential re-re hotshot II, there would be even fewer differences as the re-re hotshot already has the mechanism deck access, different drive shafts, and new front uprights. The only differences would be revised front suspension, new rear suspension, a new underguard, and a new bodyshell.

In terms of performance, driveability and reliability you are correct. But the question that was asked was "what is the difference between the two cars?"....and the answer to that from a parts perspective is...a lot.

Put it this way, if you had an original Hotshot and wanted to use a Hotshot 2 as a spare parts donor while keeping the Hotshot to its original parts specification, there isn't much you could use from the HS2. You couldn't even use the mechanism box as each box is stamped with the individual buggy's name and model number.

The 2007 (re-re) Hotshot is a litte bit of a hybrid as it uses the cosmetically different chassis, mechanism box and lower front arms from the HS2. And yes, any HS2 re-release would use many of the parts from the re-re Hotshot. But the original cars were very different and the parts are not interchangeable when wanting to build a car to its correct spec.

9 hours ago, moffman said:

Is it that different? I honestly thought it was exactly the same apart from the shocks and slightly different body! That's why when it originally came out I didn't really take much notice of it other than the silver box it came in wondering why it was silver not white? And up until now I've never found out why???

See my reply to Madinventor above. The differences in parts goes from mildly cosmetic to completely different so you could not use many HS2 parts to build a vintage Hotshot to it's factory spec. However if you just needed parts to build a non-spec casual runner then that is a different story as more or the parts can be used to get a Hotshot running whilst maintaining the general look of the Hotshot.

If you had an original Hotshot you were restoring and wanted to keep that buggy to its exact original spec then from a donor HS2 you could not fit : - Body, wing, decals, front & rear shocks, lower front suspension arms, driveshafts, prop joints, prop shaft, bumper stay, motor, chassis, mechanism box, mechanical speed controller, resistors, rear suspension arms, rear shock tower or any of the D parts, front & rear uprights.

However if you wanted to use the HS2 to get a Hotshot running with a few cosmetic differences while keeping the general same appearance of the Hotshot then you could use all of the parts not mentioned above together with the following parts from those listed above : - lower suspension arms, driveshafts, prop shaft & prop joints, bumper stay, motor, chassis & mechanism box.

• Like 2

Do you have (or have had) all three Shot modesl, @Wandy? If so, which is your favourite or preferred model and why? 
If the chronology I found is correct the Hot Shot is '85, Supershot '86 and Hotshot 2 '87, which was another eyeopener as I thought the Supershot was an amalgamation/improvement of both the Shots. 

Just now, Robert5000 said:

Do you have (or have had) all three Shot modesl, @Wandy? If so, which is your favourite or preferred model and why? 
If the chronology I found is correct the Hot Shot is '85, Supershot '86 and Hotshot 2 '87, which was another eyeopener as I thought the Supershot was an amalgamation/improvement of both the Shots. 

I do indeed have all three originals. :)

My personal favourite is the Hotshot, simply because it's the car that got me into RC when I was 13. And I think it is the best looking of the three.

The Hotshot's design was technically fascinating, even if it didnt work that well competitively in the end. The suspension design was really interesting, especially the rear, so it was a really cool car to build. The other two have better suspension systems but they are pretty routine affairs and like just about every other buggy out there.

The HS2 was the last of the three to be re-released but its not a better performer than the Supershot in any way IMO. Maybe a bit of bump steer is eliminated due to the redesigned front uprights but its hardly noticeable. The Hotshot 2 is indeed basically a cosmetic amalgamation of the Hotshot & Supershot without really moving the performance capability any further forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I do indeed have all three originals. :)

My personal favourite is the Hotshot, simply because it's the car that got me into RC when I was 13. And I think it is the best looking of the three.

The Hotshot's design was technically fascinating, even if it didnt work that well competitively in the end. The suspension design was really interesting, especially the rear, so it was a really cool car to build. The other two have better suspension systems but they are pretty routine affairs and like just about every other buggy out there.

Nice! 
Also, this is horrible, I've always thought the Supershot re release is enough, but after reading this I need the Hot Shot re re as well. 

7 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The HS2 was the last of the three to be re-released but its not a better performer than the Supershot in any way IMO. Maybe a bit of bump steer is eliminated due to the redesigned front uprights but its hardly noticeable. The Hotshot 2 is indeed basically a cosmetic amalgamation of the Hotshot & Supershot without really moving the performance capability any further forward.

So the question is now, would you be able to resist an eventual HS2 re release? 

I always thought of the HS2 as being the offspring of the mating of a HS and Boomerang. There are smaller differences as previously noted, but its basically a Hot Shot style boxed chassis with roughly Boomerang style suspension. At the front, the HS2 has the updated and more functional Boomerang monoshock geometry. At the rear, the use of Boomerang arms allow the shocks to be mounted ahead of the rear arms like the Boomer, rather than tacked on the back like the Supershot. Granted the rear shocks are short as opposed to the Boomer's long ones, but the arms and mounting is basically the same.

I like the SS and HS the best personally, but strip away the nostalgia and the HS2 may actually be the best. Its better than the HS obviously from a performance standpoint. The rear suspension is more integrated into the buggy's design vs. the "added on after the fact" style found on the SS. The SS twin vs the HS2's mono front suspension is a toss up. Twin front shocks are normally the way to go but the SS's front shocks are travel limited compared to the HS2's monoshock. The Bigwig is the best of both worlds with twin shocks and full travel. The HS2 is mostly overlooked I think. There was lots of other buggies out by then and I think it just got lost in the fray not having the importance of the original HS or the aggressive looks of the hopped up (and expensive at the time) SS.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

So the question is now, would you be able to resist an eventual HS2 re release? 

Oh yes, I would definitely get the re-release. After all, I also bought the re-re Hotshot & Supershot too. :D

If nothing else, the HS2 re-release would be worthing having for the unique silver box lid. I've never had a HS2 box in my possession as I bought the buggy from a collection of NOS spare parts.

I do think they will re-release it eventually and that guy might be correct with his guess for this year. :)

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I always thought of the HS2 as being the offspring of the mating of a HS and Boomerang. There are smaller differences as previously noted, but its basically a Hot Shot style boxed chassis with roughly Boomerang style suspension. At the front, the HS2 has the updated and more functional Boomerang monoshock geometry. At the rear, the use of Boomerang arms allow the shocks to be mounted ahead of the rear arms like the Boomer, rather than tacked on the back like the Supershot. Granted the rear shocks are short as opposed to the Boomer's long ones, but the arms and mounting is basically the same.

I like the SS and HS the best personally, but strip away the nostalgia and the HS2 may actually be the best. Its better than the HS obviously from a performance standpoint. The rear suspension is more integrated into the buggy's design vs. the "added on after the fact" style found on the SS. The SS twin vs the HS2's mono front suspension is a toss up. Twin front shocks are normally the way to go but the SS's front shocks are travel limited compared to the HS2's monoshock. The Bigwig is the best of both worlds with twin shocks and full travel. The HS2 is mostly overlooked I think. There was lots of other buggies out by then and I think it just got lost in the fray not having the importance of the original HS or the aggressive looks of the hopped up (and expensive at the time) SS.

Good point, I forgot to factor in the Boomerang. The rear shock tower is different to that of the HS2 though.

Basically the Hotshot chassis' design evolved cosmetically from Hotshot Mk1 through to Bigwig without really advancing the performance in any significant way IMO.

11 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Oh yes, I would definitely get the re-release. After all, I also bought the re-re Hotshot & Supershot too. :D

If nothing else, the HS2 re-release would be worthing having for the unique silver box lid. I've never had a HS2 box in my possession as I bought the buggy from a collection of NOS spare parts.

I do think they will re-release it eventually and that guy might be correct with his guess for this year. :)

:D 

Absolutely, my logic isTamiya will eventually re release every slightly sought after model from the 80's and 90's, the only question is how many re re re re releases of Boomerang and metallic whatnot we'll get before something new pops up. In that aspect last year was brilliant with the Terra Scorcher and VQS. So as much as the HS2 re-re is just a youtubers pipe dream as of now it could very well be the year that they bring it out.

• Like 1

Huh, that makes it the third re-re Egress run if my counting hasn't failed me. Great news for those who want one and don't feel the need to sell their first born to finance their habit. 

Hopefully it won't stand in the way of a hitherto un-re released kit or two. 

1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

Huh, that makes it the third re-re Egress run if my counting hasn't failed me. Great news for those who want one and don't feel the need to sell their first born to finance their habit. 

Hopefully it won't stand in the way of a hitherto un-re released kit or two. 

And still not had the first Avante2001 re-re have we??? 

Yeah I know the Egress is just a hopped up version of Avante2001 (or rather an Avante2001 is a hopped down version of Egress) but surely they could have re-re'd the Avante2001 and sold the hop up carbon deck, alloy shocks and Egress diffs and Egress shell separately for a change. Would keep the cost down of the main kit. I prefer the Avante2001 shell to the Egress so I'm biased.... :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

And still not had the first Avante2001 re-re have we??? 

Yeah I know the Egress is just a hopped up version of Avante2001 (or rather an Avante2001 is a hopped down version of Egress) but surely they could have re-re'd the Avante2001 and sold the hop up carbon deck, alloy shocks and Egress diffs and Egress shell separately for a change. Would keep the cost down of the main kit. I prefer the Avante2001 shell to the Egress so I'm biased.... :)

This! Exactly this. 

An Avante 2001 re-re is long overdue. The re-re of the shell was nice, but the real deal would've been such a treat. And the white camlock wheels are proper unobtainium so the re-re of the bodyshell only gets us so far. Oh man, how sweet it would've been if they'd finally bring back the 2001. And of course it's prettier than the Egress. 

• Like 1

Egress!, now thats somthing to look forward to during these dark Norwegian winter days!. I can already see myself opening a brand new Egress with plasticfoil from Tamico & driving it into the Norwegian midnight sunset (even though it hardly sets)

• Like 2