Happy Grumpz

TT-02 v’s XV-01

I’m pretty new to RC, I’ve got a Hotshot and Hornet but fancy something different.

Is the XV-01 worth the extra money over the TT-02?

These two chassis were kind of designed with different purposes in mind. The XV01 is a rally car chassis, while the TT02 is a basic level touring car.

So it really depends on what you're looking for. The age-old question of: what do you want out of it? Only then can we determine if it's worth the cost.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Happy Grumpz said:

I’m pretty new to RC, I’ve got a Hotshot and Hornet but fancy something different.

Definitely.

The TT-02 can't be compared to an XV-01. Apples and oranges. Even the TT-02SR is still inferior compared to an XV-01 which can run as a rally car, touring car or simply a fantastic basher.

• Like 3

Having a Hornet and a Hotshot in your fleet, you will already have some insight into the differences between the two chassis you are considering.

Like the Hornet, the TT-02 is a basic machine, not hugely capable but a lot of fun if you don't ask too much of it. Like the Hotshot, the XV-01 is in a different league, being a far more capable machine even in box-stock spec, and also presenting a more complex and interesting build.

However, as you have no doubt realised from your current fleet, a higher spec doesn't necessarily translate into more fun or better value - it depends on your expectations and how you plan on using the model.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Happy Grumpz said:

Are you related to @Grumpy pants ?

• Haha 3

Pretty much what others have said - the XV-01 is a much more advance chassis than the TT02 and represents what we should expect from a higher-grade car.  Loads of adjustability and plenty of hop-up options for honing it to what you want.

Also the motor-out-front design of the XV-01 makes for a very different driving experience.  Where a TT02 feels very generic (it's a typical 4wd basher / entry level race car, well-mannered but a bit vague and dull) the XV-01 definitely feels like it's treading its own path.  I have the XV-01T version with the truck wheels and body, mine handles like a dream on short grass and does lovely controllable drifts on paving slabs.

The build of hte XV-01 is much more enjoyable too, the TT02 is again just a bit generic - but if you haven't build any 4wd touring car before then either should be good fun.

The XV-01 does naturally lend itself to rallying but you could also have a play at drifting and tarmac or carpet racing with that well-balanced chassis.  The TT02 is a great car to bash about with and probably won't disappoint, if all you want to do is rag it around a car park for a while or maybe dip your toe in the touring car racing waters.

• Like 3

XV01 is a better choice. It has the most realistic ride of any Tamiya that I’ve driven

• Like 2

I have the TT02 Delta and it's almost like it was designed to hold little pebbles up front to jam up the steering. I now realize the importance of the meaning of an "on road car" and wish I had gotten an XV01 instead. Just something to note I've seen reviews mention you might need a specific battery size for the XV01 chassis.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 100mega said:

I have the TT02 Delta and it's almost like it was designed to hold little pebbles up front to jam up the steering. I now realize the importance of the meaning of an "on road car" and wish I had gotten an XV01 instead. Just something to note I've seen reviews mention you might need a specific battery size for the XV01 chassis.

Normal NiMh packs fit ok but a little tight. Lipos can be a problem. Also remember to take a screwdriver with you when you use it as the battery compartment is accessed by a screwed panel underneath. 
if your having trouble finding one don’t be put off by the Asterion. Apart from bigger wheels and a truck body it is all but identical to the cars, in fact I think it has reinforced suspension arms so one up!!

• Like 1

I have a TT02 and it's okay but I would like XV01, don't get me wrong the TT02 is a good chassis but I think you are just waiting money when up grading and I think there's more possibilities with the XV01.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Normal NiMh packs fit ok but a little tight. Lipos can be a problem. Also remember to take a screwdriver with you when you use it as the battery compartment is accessed by a screwed panel underneath.

Regarding batteries, for me the best solution is to use Lipos without cable and angled gold/banana plugs. The chassis has bulges on the top of the battery case to leave room for the plugs. It eliminates the need to find room for lots of cable with bulky plugs in the battery bay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Busdriver said:

if your having trouble finding one don’t be put off by the Asterion. Apart from bigger wheels and a truck body it is all but identical to the cars, in fact I think it has reinforced suspension arms so one up!!

The truck suspension arms (58552, grey color) are not the carbon reinforced variant (54444). As far as I know the truck arms are intentionally even more flexible than the standard arms (51505) but I have not seen the truck arms in person so I cannot tell for sure.

2 hours ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

The truck suspension arms (58552, grey color) are not the carbon reinforced variant (54444). As far as I know the truck arms are intentionally even more flexible than the standard arms (51505) but I have not seen the truck arms in person so I cannot tell for sure.

I stand corrected. You are right.