Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

When all that's left are the "blue chips"

I've recently reorganized my workshop/study, and in doing so, have had my hands on every RC car I own. Some of them have been stashed away for a while, some are in pieces, and some had been sitting on the same shelf so long that they were dusty and had flat spots on the tires. (I know, I know, they should be on stands. I'm working on it.) I've also been going through old photos, and I've uncovered some pictures of RC vehicles I didn't even remember owning until I saw the picture. Some of them I still don't remember selling, or why I sold them, or what I spent the proceeds on, which bothers me.

But I'm not unhappy with my collection now. I have a nice example of most of the models I set out to find, and I've been lucky enough to get to own and then sell on several others that I dnd't feel I "needed" to keep. I've got a nice collection, and if I stopped here, I'd be perfectly happy, and count myself lucky.

Of course, we don't stop, do we? There's always something else we want to add to the pile of loot, some other desperate desire of our little collector's hearts. Most of us keep a running list, either in our heads, or on paper, or (I'm told) in a spreadsheet somewhere. Even if you aren't actually looking for those cars, even if you don't have an ebay alert set up to let you know when one comes up for sale, it's still there, that want, that missing piece that would make your collection complete.

The trouble is that I've already acquired all the low-hanging fruit, and gotten very lucky on a couple of the higher-up models I wanted, but that means that everything else I want is up there in the top of the tree, both rare and expensive. That list, for the curious, is as follows:

Tamiya 3 speed: I'm still not sure what form this should take, but it feels like the one gaping hole in my Tamiya experience, and I need to fill it eventually. And I'd really like one of the old ones if possible; I'm not terribly interested in the hi-lifts. And I generally prefer restoring vintage models to building new ones, I'm finding out. But gone are the days of rusty dusty loft finds selling for a couple hundred dollars; I'm realistically looking at four figures to get what I want. And that's daunting.

Tamiya Lancia 037: Again, what I really want is the old vintage ORV-chassis one. But they're getting scarce, and expensive. Though in this case, I might consider getting just the body, and putting it on a re-re Brat chassis. Of course, then I need to find the right wheels and tires...

Kyosho Double Dare: I've drooled over this model ever since that first review in RCCA. I'm a huge Nissan truck fan anyway, and I just love the presence of this thing. Ideally, I'd like to build one from NIB, which means I'm looking at several hundred dollars.

Tamiya 1/12 on-road car: When I was a kid, a hobby shop at the mall had a handful of Tamiya kits on the wall behind the counter. The proprietor was asking full list price for them, so they never sold, but I stared at them longingly every time we went in. The only two I remember for sure were there were a Blazing Blazer... and a Datsun 280ZX RM Mk2. I still want that Datsun, but any of the old 1/12 Tamiya cars would do. The trouble is that finding a complete restorable one is getting tougher every year... and NIBs are just gone or insanely priced.

As I said, I don't feel wronged or incomplete not having any of these, though I do sometimes wish I had gotten on the collecting bandwagon earlier, when eBay was a fountain of old RC models for cheap. It's just strange to think that I can look through the listings now and find basically nothing I want for $200, but plenty of things I could spend $1000 on.

Is it just me, or has anyone else who's been doing this a while reached a price-enforced plateau?

• Like 1

Lancia 037...

I drunk-eBayed a body for an ORV project but changed my mind.

You can have it cheap.

Terry

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else who's been doing this a while reached a price-enforced plateau?

Yeah, I have reached this point for the most part. There's just not much left that I want to collect in the Tamiya range that I don't have in re-re or original form. There's a few holes in the collection I could fill. I don't have a Midnight Pumpkin or Mud Blaster and I could replicate both fairly easily. I even have half the Pumpkin body parts collected already, although my daughter is eyeing my extra Lunch Box I had planned to use. Some of the big ones I'd like but can't spend the money on:

Juggernaut 1 or 2: I dig monster trucks and this leaf spring'ed behemoth may not have out-performed the steadfast Clod Buster, but it certainly has a presence about it

NIB Wild Willy: This is my unicorn. A few were still cycling around in shops when I was a kid but every attempt I made at getting one was stymied by my folks. I don't think they appreciated its unique look. Putting one together would complete a dream for me, but I ain't spending that kind of money

Toyota Hilux: Those original 3-speeds have there own unique charm, but financially, I wouldn't spend the money. 

I also can't bring myself to pay stupid money for the more basic, but un-rereleased buggies. I'm not paying a ton for a Sonic Fighter even though I want one.

Interestingly, I have bought up most of the Kyosho Car Crushers by carefully watching Ebay. A Double Dare is hopefully on it way to me to finish the collection up currently. My Big Brute may have a melted tire, but that side can face the wall because I can't bring myself to spend that amount of money for albeit rare tires.

I do remind myself, I did get what I really wanted when Ebay prices were sane (although NIB Wild Willys were not cheap then either. I bid one up to $600 before bailing out as the bidding shot upwards) and that these few left were not on my initial hit list.

3 hours ago, markbt73 said:

The trouble is that I've already acquired all the low-hanging fruit, and gotten very lucky on a couple of the higher-up models I wanted, but that means that everything else I want is up there in the top of the tree, both rare and expensive. That list, for the curious, is as follows:

Tamiya 3 speed: I'm still not sure what form this should take, but it feels like the one gaping hole in my Tamiya experience, and I need to fill it eventually. And I'd really like one of the old ones if possible; I'm not terribly interested in the hi-lifts. And I generally prefer restoring vintage models to building new ones, I'm finding out. But gone are the days of rusty dusty loft finds selling for a couple hundred dollars; I'm realistically looking at four figures to get what I want. And that's daunting.

Tamiya Lancia 037: Again, what I really want is the old vintage ORV-chassis one. But they're getting scarce, and expensive. Though in this case, I might consider getting just the body, and putting it on a re-re Brat chassis. Of course, then I need to find the right wheels and tires...

Kyosho Double Dare: I've drooled over this model ever since that first review in RCCA. I'm a huge Nissan truck fan anyway, and I just love the presence of this thing. Ideally, I'd like to build one from NIB, which means I'm looking at several hundred dollars.

Tamiya 1/12 on-road car: When I was a kid, a hobby shop at the mall had a handful of Tamiya kits on the wall behind the counter. The proprietor was asking full list price for them, so they never sold, but I stared at them longingly every time we went in. The only two I remember for sure were there were a Blazing Blazer... and a Datsun 280ZX RM Mk2. I still want that Datsun, but any of the old 1/12 Tamiya cars would do. The trouble is that finding a complete restorable one is getting tougher every year... and NIBs are just gone or insanely priced.

Out of the four models you mention, the vintage 3 speed (Hilux or Blazer) might be the one that would be the most enjoyable. They are so different from anything else and technically quite interesting. At some point in a vintage tamiya collection, you gotta get one. Prices are a problem, especially if you look on ebay. Four figures is too much but you can probably find a nice project for the price of a few regular kits. Whenever I buy something a bit expensive, I say too myself: with the same amount I could have bought X TT01 kits. And then I realise it makes sense, from a basic enjoyment perspective as well as from a financial one as you would probably get your money back should you decide to sell it in a few years.

I like the three others but they are no as special. As you said, the ORV chassis is pretty common so It's difficult to splash hundreds on the 037. The Kyosho monster trucks are cool but having restored a few, they feel quite 'cheap' compared to a clodbuster for example. I'm not sure building a NIB one would be such a great experience. You can find used ones for little money so restoring one might be the way to go. I've never had one of the early on-road 1/12 cars. They look great, especially the Datsun Z, but I've always felt they are a bit too "simple" from a technical point of view to justifiy paying the price.

Personally, I don't. I've never bought much on ebay so I don't feel I'm beeing priced out of much. Also, I've never actively looked for a particular model. I usually buy whatever good deal I can find on the local market and it's served me well up to now.

It's no longer a question of filling collection holes or getting priced out of the hobby anymore; for me it's a question of time, mortality, and opportunity cost.  How much more time will I play with toy cars before I leave this planet?  What should I be doing with the rest of my life that I haven't done already?

Sorry to sound morbid; my outlook in my 50s is way different than my outlook in my 20s.  What sort of legacy will I leave behind?

• Like 4

I've been there for quite some time. I really liked the Avante, but was never going to pay £450 - £500 for a buggy, no matter how nice it looks.

I've also got to the point where I've not really got much enjoyment out of the last few cars I bought, which is putting me off buying any more. 

The Terra Scorcher I ordered this time last year for a lockdown build is still unopened (By the time I'd sourced some paint I'd kind of lost interest in it, particularly with the stories about the poor quality of some of the components), the G6-01 I bought before that has been run twice, I've got a Hi-lift that that's been run 3 times, and I've got a Wild One with very little run time on it as well. The comical hornet I won in the TC competition a year ago was a fun build, and it is fun to drive, but I gave it to my son as an upgrade from the Midnight Pumpkin he had, so I don't get drive time on that either. 

It's partially due shielding, so the only space I have to run the cars is on the driveway or the lawn, both of which are very flat and unchallenging to drive on.  It doesn't help that it's the middle of winter and cold and wet outside either....

If I was going to shell out big money on something now, it would probably be a traxxas trx-4 truck, the version with the portals, lockable axles, and 2 speed box. That's a lot more vehicle for the money than an Avante or Egress. And I'll be able to get spares for it if I need them, even if they have to come from the states. Having said that I think the chances of me breaking it would be fairly slim.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

I've also got to the point where I've not really got much enjoyment out of the last few cars I bought, which is putting me off buying any more. 

The Terra Scorcher I ordered this time last year for a lockdown build is still unopened (By the time I'd sourced some paint I'd kind of lost interest in it, particularly with the stories about the poor quality of some of the components), the G6-01 I bought before that has been run twice, I've got a Hi-lift that that's been run 3 times, and I've got a Wild One with very little run time on it as well.

Interesting. I find myself in a very similar situation. I was interested in getting the Terra Scorcher, but the build just didn't bring me much joy for some reason. I thought I'd leap at the G601, but put it off, and I think I'm better off for it (not that its bad, just that I didn't really need it and I could see the novelty wearing off in my case). I have a Bruiser that gets little run time and a Wild One still unopened. My runs are also confined to my yard which is cold and wet as well. I've been getting the most enjoyment out off restricting old cast off wreaks.

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

It's no longer a question of filling collection holes or getting priced out of the hobby anymore; for me it's a question of time, mortality, and opportunity cost.  How much more time will I play with toy cars before I leave this planet?  What should I be doing with the rest of my life that I haven't done already?

Sorry to sound morbid; my outlook in my 50s is way different than my outlook in my 20s.  What sort of legacy will I leave behind?

Its not too morbid for our age group I think. These thoughts cross my mind as well. In the end, I still dig it and am buried deep in the hobby, happily futzing with stuff so I'm not too worried. If RC fulfills me, than that's good enough. I'm in my 40's so my time (having a child) is limited but I plan to do more when time issues ease up. I hope, by my 50's,  I'll finally get serious about replicating Tamiya boxart style and painting in general as well as guitar/amp building. I do have similar feelings about my waning full size car habit however. As far as legacy, all I hope for is that I was the best husband and father (and maybe grandfather by that point) I could possibly be. 

• Like 1

There's definitely a bucket-list component to all of this; I just turned 48, and there is the realization that I'm probably past the halfway point, and I'm not going to squeeze in everything, so the time has come for some curating and prioritizing. But in different ways and to different degrees, this hobby has been important to me for 35 years now, and I don't see it going away completely. I'm sure I'll have a Blackfoot or something sitting atop my dresser in the nursing home, when the time comes.

The original post was prompted by me looking through eBay listings (because all our local sale sites are utterly devoid of anything interesting) and going "have it, had it and didn't like it, have it, have two, don't care about it...", and noticing that of the listings that piqued my interest, only a few of them held my interest, and those were very expensive things.

And then we stopped in at the local used record shop, and every time I found something that looked interesting, I realized I already have it, and everything I went looking for was nowhere to be seen. Or was only available as a "Limited Edition Remaster On Colored Vinyl!" for $50.

It's just weird, after spending my 20s and early 30s being so nomadic and having so few possessions (and not by choice), to realize that there are so many things I own, or once owned and am now done with, and so few that I still really want.

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

It's just weird, after spending my 20s and early 30s being so nomadic and having so few possessions (and not by choice), to realize that there are so many things I own, or once owned and am now done with, and so few that I still really want.

Now you're just starting to sound like Jack Reacher........ All you really need is a the clothes you stand up in, a toothbrush, wallet, and a good cup of coffee ;)

I must admit, after watching 'The Minimalists' on Netflix, I do now look at the models and think 'Do they give me happiness owning them?', now that the buzz of acquiring them has worn off. If I'm honest a lot of it doesn't, but some of the models my son and I have played with and so I'm loathe to part with them as they have memories attached to them for him, plus the scratch built models I put so much time into them I wouldn't pass them on to anyone apart from my boy. There's also the stubborn of 'I've put so much time into this I'm not going to sell it now'.

I don't think there's anything weird about it, when you're a kid, your toys are very important to you, when you're an adult, it's the time you spend with other people that's important, stuff is just 'stuff'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Now you're just starting to sound like Jack Reacher........ All you really need is a the clothes you stand up in, a toothbrush, wallet, and a good cup of coffee ;)

Quite the opposite, actually - I love my stuff, I'm very comforted by knowing it's there, and I'm not parting with any of it. I've reduced my possessions into what will fit in one (usually very small) car several times before, and I'm not doing it again unless some catastrophe forces me to. I'm just realizing that most of what I once wanted I now have, or got, decided I didn't really want it, and got rid of.

It's more like climbing most of the way up a mountain, realizing that the last little bit of the climb is the hardest, and then turning around and discovering that the view is actually pretty good from right here...

• Like 1

I can really relate to the posts above around prices. I have always been on the hunt for "near-death" vintage model to safe and bring it back to its original grace loving the chase at times more than the catch. I bought Avante's for 50 Euro and several of the other classics too. Nowadays however, everything is way overpriced. Everyone who bumps into an old Tamiya RC on the attic, one of the classics or not, instantly think they have struck gold and is expecting gold. It made the hunt a lot less fun for me and has nothing to do with how much i can afford to pay for it, but how much a realistic price is to me. In any case, there are a couple of models that i definitely want to get at some point in time, an SRB for sure and a WW or WW2. I am still convinced that sooner or later i will bump into an affordable one...:)

You've got me thinking and reminiscing now! A dangerous combination - I hope no one had anywhere more important to be ;) 

As I've mentioned before, I have always found a lot more enjoyment from "the chase" of finding a basket case for a great price and then tracking down all the rare bits and bobs to restore it to as close to perfection as possible. Once it's finished though, it'll generally just sit on a shelf and collect dust. There's a sense of achievement of fixing it up and finally getting one of the dream kits from when I was a kid - but I guess there is an element of "never meet your heroes" as they are never what you pictured them to be, and once you've met them - what next? So there have been several that have been a lot of fun working on, but soon after I sold them on so I could do something else.

I'd struggle to find 5 cars I'd really like to have now, and all of them are at the upper end of the market - NIB examples all ranging from £500 to over £1000+ - but even basket cases are silly money now. I was browsing some old catalogue pictures (Tamiya, not Kays) of the old TA-01/2 chassis cars and thought I really need to get one of them as a project. Now, I remember umming and ahhing about one for sale a few years ago for £35. To say I was astounded at how much they are going for now would be a serious understatement! :( So that's put paid to that idea. Fixing that itch isn't worth that much to me.

And of course, there is the old enemy of time. When I was 20 I would take my motorbike out for a ride, then immediately strip it down and clean and polish and oil everything. The fact it would take me a couple of days didn't matter, I went to college, I came home, and that was it. When I was in my early 30's I had a 1986 mk2 Golf 3dr 16v GTi that was my pride and joy. I bought it as a non runner and fixed it up, then spent years collecting £1000s of parts to make it a fire breathing monster. But I just never had the time to do it - by then I was married and had family responsibilities that took up pretty much all my time, so I sold all the parts and gave the car to my nephew who did have the time to do stuff to it. And this is partly why I've returned to RC - it doesn't (have to) cost 1000's, doesn't take up a whole driveway and garage, can be tucked away in boxes when it's not being worked on and can be tinkered or played with in the odd snatched 20minutes or so. But equally, if they ever stop making me smile or I find a more important use for the money they hold then they'll probably all go.

• Like 2