Sign in to follow this  
nicksincrc

DT-02 rear shock position knowledge

Hi, I built my sand viper as per instructions with the  shock mounted on the rear lower outside position .I prefer my shocks as upright as possible and I can't get hold of the carbon extension for the tower so I'm left with the lower inner mount option which will be more vertical . I'm no racer so I'm just wondering what the effect on handling will be? I'm assuming the rear ride height will increase slightly ? I'm disabled and need assistance with build /maintenance so before I rope someone in to help I'd like to know the effect ,thanks in advance 

Usually increasing shock angle makes the suspension action more progressive, reducing angle having the opposite effect. Aside from the ride height difference you noted, moving the lower mount inward will increase the leverage from the wheel/tire and make the suspension feel softer. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

As my middle daughter has only owned her DT02 for a month I don't really feel that experienced enough to answer your question but in our very limited experience the stock kit rear shock setup is not the problem. 

We have fitted a 19T Reedy Quad Mag Spec motor (late 90's vintage) to it and it flies in a straight line. However under cornering we have had loads of issues and they are to do with weight distribution, not enough weight over front tyres under power when cornering tightly. We have tried half a dozen different tyres (from the likes of Schumacher) and still not got acceptable levels of cornering performance.

The rear shocks in our humble opinion are not an issue. The DT02 is a fine buggy right out of the box for bashing. 

It depends on what you want to do with it? if you want to do big jumps then it needs a better set of shocks and better shock mountings. If you wish to race on a track then it needs better weight distribution and more appropriate front tyres to suit your track surface conditions.

In our experience laying down the shocks produces a better more refined and smoother experience at speed on flat lower traction tracks. Standing them up leads to grip rolling at high cornering speeds (albeit depending on tyres). BUT standing up the shocks may help in very high jumps?

So in summary, the stock kit setup is fine for most bashing, laying them down is probably better for most flat or lower grip surfaces and for higher speed running and standing them up works better for jumping. 

That is however our personal experience and we are definitely NOT pro racers!!!

Thanks guys, obviously I haven't had much chance to run it but I had a 19t pinion and torque tuned in it and it ran fine but obviously stock fronts gave no grip offroad, switched to 13.5 brushless and schumacher minispike fronts and if anything there's to much grip on the grass and plenty on the loose and I'm waiting for some more wheels to arrive for a harder surface setup, I'm running Nimh so maybe more weight in mine than you Mad4fun if you're using lipo?. It does bottom out at the rear too easily and I'm not jumping much or high , I'm thinking heavier oil and increased ride height will help . Not had chance to use it much but it's easy to drive ,fun and forgiving and I don't want to ruin that so I just wondering before I do anything .

7 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

It does bottom out at the rear too easily and I'm not jumping much or high , I'm thinking heavier oil and increased ride height will help .

I'm just relaying information I've read here, but others have made comments concerning the soft rear suspension of the DT02. Tamiya's Hop-up springs set for the DT02 is often recommended, though I have no personal experience.  

We have not suffered any 'softness' issues with rear shocks on my daughters DT02 Sand Viper. We built the oil filled dampers as per kit then realised they were too soft so added three spacers, the small plus two medium. Since then the rear suspension has been fine. It has now down a good few hours of use and no issues at all with rear suspension even under postal racing conditions on a rough grass track with a pokey Reedy motor in it.

Did you add the correct spacers to the shocks? I seem to remember it was on a separate bit of paper that specified that with the oil dampers you needed to use the spacers. Of course all the paperwork is now in the bin as per usual with xmas presents..... LOL

rear_shocks.thumb.jpg.8ed3d8b70e46ab573945b62452cf15ea.jpg

11 hours ago, mud4fun said:

We have not suffered any 'softness' issues with rear shocks on my daughters DT02 Sand Viper. We built the oil filled dampers as per kit then realised they were too soft so added three spacers, the small plus two medium. Since then the rear suspension has been fine. It has now down a good few hours of use and no issues at all with rear suspension even under postal racing conditions on a rough grass track with a pokey Reedy motor in it.

Did you add the correct spacers to the shocks? I seem to remember it was on a separate bit of paper that specified that with the oil dampers you needed to use the spacers. Of course all the paperwork is now in the bin as per usual with xmas presents..... LO

Hi, yes I had added an extra spacer ,I just feel the damping is a little light when I test drop it.Is your daughter planning on racing it?

13 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I'm just relaying information I've read here, but others have made comments concerning the soft rear suspension of the DT02. Tamiya's Hop-up springs set for the DT02 is often recommended, though I have no personal experience.  

I have heard that,putting soft on the front and harder on the back , but reluctant at the moment to get the springs as I might upgrade the dampers but not decided yet 

1 hour ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi, yes I had added an extra spacer ,I just feel the damping is a little light when I test drop it.Is your daughter planning on racing it?

No, it is a basher buggy but she has used it in the postal racing series on here.

She will be getting a Schumacher Cougar for her Birthday and she intends to race that at a local club. :)