GarethMck

Getting my 86 boomerang roadworthy now my son has a Frog!

Morning chaps, 

Firstly, many apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have scanned  through the forum trying to find answers.

I started out with a Grasshopper in 84 that I loved, and when I was a little older got my hands on a boomerang (this was probably around 87)

Fast forward quite a few years, my 10 year old son was bought a Frog re release at xmas, I helped him build it, and we put a sport tuned 540 in it and boxed the stock one up it came with.   It is great fun, super fast etc.. and my old RC flame reignited.. so after crawling about in the loft I have retrieved the Boomer!!

It still works which is testament to how well Tamiya put these together!.  So to the questions I have that if anyone can help out with would be awesome!

1 - I hear people talking about ball raced bearings?  I guess this means the metal rather than plastic ones that you put on the axles in the wheel rims?  Does anyone know if I can get these for the Boomer as well as the frog?  (any web links would be really appreciated as its a bit of a minefield of info on the web!)

2 - I put a sport tuned motor in the boomer as well as my sons frog, his goes like a rocket, mine less so.. I am thinking I will need to update the speed controller and maybe the old acom gear as well to get teh best out of it?  Other than the new shiny motor and a new battery pack, the boomer is all original kit.

3 - last question!  Wheels, my son likes the four big wheels on the boomer, and wondered if he can get larger ones on the front of his frog?  and I need a new set for my boomer as they are very very old, worn, faded etc.  Again the internet is a minefield and I am loath to buy stuff if it wont work, so if anyone out there knows any links to kit that will work, I would be made up if you could post them here.

Sorry for all the questions, but hoping to post pics of the kit when its all up and running!

cheers

Welcome back, the Boomerang is a great car.

I buy quite a bit from rcmart, search for Boomerang, Hotshot etc. Tyres and wheels are available as new parts since it was rereleased a few years ago.

https://www.rcmart.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Boomerang

Bearings, they replace the brass and plastic bushings. I think the Boomer takes 1150 and 850 bearings. You can buy a set or buy packs of them. I just buy packs of Yeah Racing bearings in both metal and rubbed shielded as they are pretty cheap (USD4 for 10 bearings) and spares are useful.

1150 = 5mm internal diamter, 11mm outside diameter and the ones you need are 4mm thick.

850 = 5mm x 8mm x 2.5mm (I think the 2.5mm is right)

Check the manual for how many of each

https://www.rcmart.com/RC-Car-Bearings/RC-Metric-Bearings

I woukd replace the manual speed controller with an ESC, and the old radio gear with modern  2.4GHz gear. Look at the Hobbywing 1060, a great ESC for brushed motors at a good price. This ESC will happily run the Super Stock motors whuch are great. Your car will probably be slower in a straight line than the Frog because 2wd vs 4wd. Just make sure you race him on loose dirt.

The servo may work fine with a new radio, or you may need to replace it too. For not much money you can get much better than what is in it. The old servos are around 3kg torque and.2sec speed. For about USD15 you can get 10kg torque and .1sec speed with full metal gears.

Radio gear ranges from USD30 to USD500. Flysky is cheap, Sanwa and Futaba are much better but you get what you pay for.

Wheels and tyres. You can buy 12mm hex adapters which are a direct fit and then buy modern wheels and tyres, or just buy new Boomerang ones, up to you. These would work

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-alloy-wheel-washer-set-thick-5mm-bu-for-1-10-rc-touring-drift-crawler-wa-015bu-00027206

• Like 1

Morning!

Wow, thank you so much mate, that is fantastic info!  Thats my lunchtime shopping sorted then :)

I love the Boomerang, wish I could find my old Grasshopper as well, probably another trip up to the loft then.

I'll report back on how the refurb goes !

cheers again mate, awesome info.

just to add to Jon's very comprehensive post - you may or may not have them - but if not, you can download the manuals for both your cars here:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

so you can get part numbers for anything you may need to replace. TonysTamiyaParts on ebay is the default go-to place for many of us.

One last thing worth checking is what size pinion you have in the Boomer - from what I remember there were quite a range of options on them, (the manual should give you the part numbers and motor position to suit) so you can potentially get more out of your motor by swapping it.

Hi, 

That is very useful as well many thanks dude.

I will see what pinion is in the boomer (that will be the small cog thats fitted onto the motor right? sorry I am a bit of a newb.. )
as, I did order a tamiya 18t pinion that came alongside the motor, as it was listed as 'frequently bought together' on amazon.. I wonder if I fit that then as well rather than just transplanting the old original pinion between the two (which is what I have done), it may get more performance eh.

Got a new ESC ordered as per Jons advice above, and will deffo look to replace the servo and radio gear (though i do love the old retro kits).

I also just wanted to check if anyone knew my Frog front wheel question?  My boy loves the bigger wheels on the boomerang, and was wondering what he could swap his smaller front wheels for, anyone got any handy ebay/amazon links they could throw up?

cheers guys.

So the Frog chassis is basically the same as the Blackfoot/Mud Blaster/Monster Beetle but with different suspension, so he has the option (in theory) to go up to the monster truck wheels. To fit them - or any other wheel which has a standard hex drive - you would want the adaptors Jon linked to at the end of his email:

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-alloy-wheel-washer-set-thick-5mm-bu-for-1-10-rc-touring-drift-crawler-wa-015bu-00027206

only as it's rear wheel drive you just don't fit the drive pin.

The issue with the Boomerang is that it doesn't have a hex drive, rather a triangular 3 lug thing. The easiest option would be to buy a set of wheels your son likes off any of the more modern rc cars (doesn't have to be Tamiya, just as long as it has a hex) and use the adaptors as suggested above. In theory though, if he really wanted the boomerang ones, I'd guess you could just fit them along with the triangular adaptors and not fit the drive pins in the front. But that is a guess......

The 12mm hex adapter mentioned above will allow you to use modern 12mm hex driven wheels. Wheels come in a variety of diameters, but 2.2” is probably most common small wheel today.  To compare, the Frog wheel is 1.5” in diameter.

However, the front axle on the Frog may be too short, and you may need to use a set of CRP #1565 nut adapters to gain the extra length needed. You may also have to shim any extra length with washers.

Also, the larger 2.2 front wheel may cause the tires to rub the front bumper.

One other solution to bigger tires on the front is to use the slightly larger Brat wheel/tire on the front.  These will bolt right onto the Frog without any modifications or extra bits. But the tire size is a very uncommon size and generally the only tires available are the Brat road tires.  

I’ll try to snap some pix of my Jumper front axles later today.

Terry

An addendum to Jonboy’s post, in order to use the Blackfoot front wheels on the Frog, you will need those CRP adapters I mentioned and they will bolt right on.

The BF tires will rub the front bumper though.

Terry

• Like 1

Yeah, Jonboys BF wheel solution is probably the easiest. The BF wheel is 2.2” and most third party 2.2” tires will fit. You will want “truck” tires and not “buggy” tires as buggy tires are thinner width wise.

If you go this route, make sure the tires are 2.2” and NOT 2.2/3.0”. The former is the same inner diameter (2.2”) whereas the later had a 3.0” inner diameter on one side of the tire to fit onto modern short course trucks.  These will not work.

Terry

Another addendum...

If you switch out the Frog front bumper for the BF bumper, you will eliminate the rub issue with 2.2” tires...  

well, pretty blown away guys, thanks so much!

this has to be one of the most proactive informative forums I have ever had the pleasure of visiting!

• Like 3

Here are a series of pix I took mounting several different wheel/tire combos on the front axle of my Frog.  Standard Frog front tire shown for reference.

The series:

1) 1.4” Duratrax Matrix tires on standard Frog front wheel.  These are slightly smaller OD and ID, and slightly wider.

2) 1.7” Brat tire on Brat wheel.  Both standard.  This is my bashing set so they are ugly.

3) 2.2 Proline Dirt Hawgs on Kyosho Scorpion wheels.  These use a smaller bearing but fit fine.  These are my current favorite buggy set.

4) 2.2 Team Losi ribbed on HPI 2100s.  These require the HPI front bearing adapters and beveled washers.  Also needed is the CRP #1565.  Several pix showing how it mounts.  This is the set I use on the Bushy D (Bush Devil SBF) when I take her to the beach.

5) 2.2 Venom Racing RidgeLines on Proline #2526s.  These bolt straight on with the CRP #1565, but need shims behind the inside bearing.  I use the HPI beveled washer and some standard washers to take out the slop.  These are also for the Bushy D.

You can see in the last two in the series that the tire rubs the front bumper.  Granted, I’m using a CRP front bumper on my Frog, but I don’t think that make a difference???  I don’t have a standard front bumper setup so I can’t compare.

https://imgur.com/a/aS9JCD6

Terry

One more option to try is the CRP #4114.  This is a 12mm hex adapter for the Hot Shot wheel.  You may be able to use this with a 12mm hex bearing adapter and a typical set of HS (Boomerang) wheels and tires???  I’m not sure.  I don’t own a HS series car...

But I do have some HS wheels, I just remembered.  I may have to try this out myself!  LOL!  Another project on the list!

Terry

Hey Frog Jumper!

Sorry for the delayed response, been out for a couple of days.

Thanks for all of that information, so before I read any of it, I had bought some hex adapters and some cheap and cheerful wheels which I just thought I would try out for his frog, the rears kind of fit (well they turn) but the fronts catch the brackets on the steering rods and dont turn at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F9SSSND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good news is they fit on the boomerang anyway so I have put them on there and they actually look quite cool thankfully.  (Update on the boomer, changing the pinion has made it much faster, so nope it wont beat his frog in acceleration, but at least it doesn't drop further behind when they both hit top speed (both running RS Sport tuned 540s, neither ball raced though, thats next, plus my boomer still has an MSC in it which ill swap out for an ESC when it finally arrives).

So back to the frog larger wheel set questions then... looking as the link you have supplied directly above, DTO3 adapters will be the ones to get, that's for the front wheels only then?  Is it a different set for the rears?

When I tried the wheels above on his frog I had bought this set of 4 adapters and tbf they did seem to fit on the front and back okay?  Just the front tyres rubbed on the steering arms so  wouldnt turn at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NW93N6F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As those adapters are now on the boomer anyway, i need to buy a new set for the front and rear of his frog so will certainly go with the link you have supplied :)

Okay tyres... he is after chunky tyres for the front and I guess I need to be looking at a certain width then to ensure that they fit okay, I know both Jonboy and yourself have supplied helpful tips further up which is cool, oh I also bought a set of these as I thought I could use them to extend the front axles.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000J44YTA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but chances are thats the wrong thing, no big deal as again, i can see you have supplied details on what should be bought to extend the length so cheers for that :)

Thanks for uploading your tyre combinations, I can see you favour smoothish tread on the front with all your sets?  We have a cottage in Wales with some farmland so were hoping to rag these two cars around offroad a little, hence the thought for studded front tyres as well.. looking online theres about a billion tyres and wheels you can buy with the hex adapter which is ace, i just need to get ones that wont rub!

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Like 1

I have to take my son to a swim camp this morning but when I get back I’ll go over your notes and give you my thoughts.

Real quick, those Frog axle extenders are what you need for the rear to drive hex wheels.  I use a set on my Frog when I use those Kyosho wheels.

Terry

The main issue with the Frog is that the front axle does not rotate while the rear does.  This limits what kind of wheel you can use on the front, as most modern cars have a rotating front axle.

The DT03 bearing hex adapter will allow you to use a modern hex wheel on the Frog, though. I have tried these and you will find that you have the back the nut off about 0.1mm in order to allow the wheel to spin.  There will still be friction on the outside of the wheel where it rubs the nut. Not ideal. Some kits supply a second bearing to go on the outside but it looks ghetto, imo...

The rear use a pin drive.  There are many adapters of varying length that will adapt pin drive to hex drive.  The Frog one you bought is a good start.  You will find that wheels have what is called “offset”.  This is the distance the outer edge of the wheel is from the point where the center hole is.  You will find some wheels “stick out” while some “sink in”.  I’m not an expert but there is plenty of reading on Googlez...

Big chunky tires...  Keep in mind that the Frog is geared for smaller tires, and that the extra torque from running large tires will wear out the gears and motor faster.  If you want to focus on off-road with big chunky tires, I would convert your Frog to a Blackfoot (gears and front axles).  I would also add the BF bumper to allow you to use bigger 2.2” tires.

If you don’t want to go that route immediately, I would at least switch out the Frog front bumper for a BF one, and get the CRP kit, so you can start using 2.2” right away.

As for 2.2” front wheels, the obvious answer is a set of Blackfoot wheels.  These will likely require some shims to get it right, but it’s cheap and easy.  And almost any 2.2” tire (not 2.2/3.0) will fit them.

For the rear, again the BF wheels.  These will bolt right on with no problem.  

Terry

Superb Terry, thank you for all of your help here :)

Now, sadly.. back to my boomerang ... the new ESC arrived so I removed the old MSC and installed it... and maybe its the old radio gear... it really doesnt go very fast forward, but seems quite nippy in reverse..

pictures below to explain.. also the new ESC, I ran through the setup on it to set it to brushed mode as per the instructions (tbf i only did this after I first tried the boomer after installation and realised it was very slow going forwards, but doing going through that setting has made no difference to the forward speed)

Old MSC unit, it seems to be two parts, one part seems like an old servo?

bm2.jpg

bm1.jpg

(apologies for sticking these in loads of single posts, i have yet to work out how to add an image then put text under it, followed by a new image)

So in a nutshell, with the old MSC the car was like a nippy little rocket.

changed to the ESC, and its slow forward, but nippier in reverse, but I guess this is now down to the fact I have to have the trim on the throttle pushed forward quite alot as otherwise, when you turn it on the car just wants to go backwards when the throttle is in 'neutral'

all four wheels have drive, it seems to be something linked to the ESC which is all i have changed.  we run the same one in my sons frog and thats really nippy.. i wonder is it the old radio gear maybe? its 30 odd years old after all, maybe that needs swapping out but was hoping not.. any ideas anyone?