THFourteen

Mad Bull build for my 6yo

Hey folks! I'm not a total noob as i built a lunchbox for myself last year, but looking to put together a mad bull for my eldest to run (and wreck).

Don't mind spending a few extra pennies on some upgrades (yeah ok maybe daddy will be playing with this too haha). Picked the Mad Bull as I think he'll like building the kit with me, and its supposedly quite durable. Will be running in the local park (after lockdown, does RC count as exercise?)

Anyway - this is what I've picked out so far, any comments or places where i could make some changes? Specifically i'm not sure about the suitability of the pinion as i just have the stock motor in my lunchbox.

The extra body is so he can paint one himself.

58205.jpg
Tamiya Mad Bull
On Order with Supplier - The item will be back ordered for you and despatched ASAP.
The expected stock date of this item is 31st Jan

£99.00

cr2sv2.jpg

£33.20

cr493.jpg
Core RC 4012 - Servo 4Kg .12 Sec
CR493
Good Stock - Will ship without delay.

£8.09

54358.jpg
Tamiya Torque Tuned Motor
In Stock - Will ship without delay.

£14.24

54628.jpg
Tamiya 0.8 Module Steel Pinion 17T
In Stock - Will ship without delay.

£4.74

0335155.jpg
Tamiya Mad Bull Body
On Order with Supplier - The item will be back ordered for you and despatched ASAP.

£7.19

54567.jpg
Tamiya DT03 CVA Damper Set
The expected stock date of this item is 11th Feb

£21.84

Looks like a good basket. The only change I would consider is getting a set of rubber sealed bearings from Rcbearings.co.uk instead of the metal shielded ones from Modelsport, as they do a better job of keeping dust and dirt at bay. 

• Like 2

You might also want to look at the steering linkage mod when the time comes. The kit supplied rod from servo horn to steering arm/attachment isn't the best.

• Like 1

My first tamiya was a mad bull 21 years ago, my kids found it about a year ago in the attic and I managed to pick up another 2 on ebay for £27! So the 3 of us have them now, been a while since we've used them, my daughter is 4, my son is 6 and they absolutely love them and also absolutely ruin them but luckily they're quite sturdy, cheap and easy to repair. 

• Like 1

Perfect choice for kids and adults alike! This pic is a few years old now but the fleet my kids and I have have been abused and then some, aside from a broken roof on one car the rest have survived far better than any other cars I own! 

Screenshot_20210122_221331.jpg

• Like 1

Paint?? TS whatever you fancy :)

the abisma is great and sooooo easy to pair. You can buy extra receivers from Ali express for about £5 each (is that the set that comes with 2 anyway?)

Agree on bearing from RC bearings unless that set is cheaper.

Not sure what site you are looking at but also check Modelsport 

JJ

The Mad Bull is one of my favourite chassis. It is tough and a ton of fun but it can also be a decent platform for tinkering. 

Mine has diff putty to improve its ‘crawling’ capabilities, heat shrink mod to reduce steering slop, one piece top plate to keep debris out and internal sprung shocks that improve handling. 

My son started to learn on a Mad Bull and he was four at the time. If I was getting another vehicle for someone to learn on, I wouldn’t change from a MB. They are perfect for this.

B352ABE9-2A31-45D2-BEDE-42EAE96E9FC0.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the help folks! I ordered the bearings suggested from rcbearings, they've already arrived. Still waiting on the delivery from modelsport, but they did say they were waiting on stuff from their supplier, so no hurry i guess.

Hurry hurry hurry hurry

Great starter buggy, rugged, go most places with the bigger tires, take em to a BMX track. Just do the steering mod as it will wear and start to jam.