charlo

tamiya paint question

I saw a picture of a lunchbox with painted wheels and was wondering what would be the best way to paint them  so they do not get ruined after 5 minutes of running. My wheels are black so I guess I'd need a primer ? Which one do you suggest ? As for the paint, would I be better off using tamiya ps paint ? Looking to get some gold wheels like this :

41AF287F-78A1-45E1-BC25-2FC0219FDA25.webp

Those wheels look like the Tamiya gold 'chrome' wheels . It would be hard to achieve that look with spray paint . I sprayed some Lunchbox wheels with gold paint and used a plastic primer first after a good scrub and light papering for a key .

b_84326.jpg

The “chrome” bling is impossible with paint IMO, unless you pay out the yang for a specialized product.  I was researching this last month...

I decided to use Tamiya metallic silver and it looks really good, but it not a mirror like real chroming...

Definitely spend the extra money for Tamiya sprays. They are superior to everything else out there.

Terry

• Like 1

Way back in the early 2000's I painted a lot of wheels with 'chrome' paints. None of them was actually that Chrome like, more like a satin silver.

I sanded the wheels down with wet and dry, applied a Halfords black plastic primer then a top coat of the Halfords Chrome paint and the wheels largely stayed in their painted colour for best part of 20 years. The only areas that lost the paint within a short space of time were the rim edges and they had to be touched up every year. The problem with the chrome effect paints is that you can't apply a lacquer as it dulls the chrome. On other painted items with normal halfords paints I use their excellent heavy duty lacquer and the paint then lasts ages.

Here is my Avante2001 way back in 2003'ish with painted wheels using Halfords 'Chrome' paint. The wheels were recently binned but they still retained most of their original paint. 

img1721_21052004103424_3.jpg

and my Vanquish, also with Halfords chrome effect painted wheels:

img1721_29052004144528_1.jpg

• Like 2

I guess by spraying a light coat of gold over the top of the chrome you might be able to achieve a gold chrome effect . I have used chrome spary myself . different brands produce different standards of chrome - some brighter 'chrome' than others . The matt black base coat is secret

47 minutes ago, charlo said:

do you guys have a part number ? They seem discontinued 

47386 WR-02 gold wheels

Hi Guys.

I am planning my next project and the lexan shell will be white this time and also the rims.

Now there is white PS-1 and pearl white PS-57. Do some one of you have used both of them? Would be great to see how they look beside.

Well, also I will paint my 3D printed rims. Do you think PS colour will be fine to paint them? Usually I add a coat of plastic primer bevor the colour coat.

Hi, when I refurbished my Clod I painted the wheels, after sanding etc. with Tamiya fine primer then PS1 and it turned out well. Not tried pearl white yet.

I looked into this a lot. True chrome is very expensive, even the DIY kits.  The best spray I found was Krylon Premium Metallic Series. They make different finishes, including a chrome and gold. Cans cost about $7 USD and a little goes a long way.

I haven’t tried the gold yet but I was happy with the chrome. It’s not a true shiny chrome, but a nice polished aluminum look.

I have also used the Testors Metalizer series that you spray and then buff to shine. They are more expensive and look good, but I would  still go with the Krylon.

73C2B4B7-4171-482A-9A18-283843FCFE6C.jpeg

On 1/20/2021 at 7:13 AM, charlo said:

I saw a picture of a lunchbox with painted wheels and was wondering what would be the best way to paint them  so they do not get ruined after 5 minutes of running. My wheels are black so I guess I'd need a primer ? Which one do you suggest ? As for the paint, would I be better off using tamiya ps paint ? Looking to get some gold wheels like this :

41AF287F-78A1-45E1-BC25-2FC0219FDA25.webp 65.69 kB · 15 downloads

Don’t use PS paint unless you want them flat colored. Use TS and Tamiya primer. I painted my lunchbox wheels like this. Was going for a chrome look but turned out more aluminum looking I think.... whatever all I know isn’t I didn’t want them yellow, I think it looks ok. 

0DFC3C9A-8AB2-4906-9C43-2CCFFDFDD646.jpeg