Nwc100

Custom colour thread

Custom colours is my thing, I think! As I don't really get the whole box art bit and I quite enjoy the suspense of not knowing what might be lurking under the over spray protector I thought I'd start this for other to show off the custom paint jobs that they have done, I openly mine are not the best or tidiest bodies but I enjoy the process and the testing on bottles to get the end result.

So show us your custom paint.

A picture of the finished car and a brief description of the paints used and the process would be really helpful, as a newbie myself I found this forum and some of the paint particularly inspiring and thought it would be a great way to share that information.

If it interests you check out the great work by @Kingfisher who has an excellent step by step guide to working with the translucent paints.

And also @Ryz82 who seems to share my fascination with all things custom colour, two forum members who have provided most of the inspiration so far.

• Like 1

Here is my first attempt Toyota Yaris on a TT02.

I used 3 layers of translucent red PS37, starting off with one really light misting and then two full coats of the red, I then did 1 full coat of PS48 semi gloss anodised aluminium and backed it all in PS5 black.

981428760_DSC_27302.thumb.JPG.1ca0825038dfa335867e0ec84870a839.JPG

DSC_3347.JPG

DSC_2758.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

This Porsche GT1 got a dose of green, this started off with 3 coats of translucent yellow PS42, one mist layer and then two full layers, then one light layer of PS36 translucent silver, a full coat of PS36 fluorescent green and then finally backed with PS1 completely.

I was pretty happy with this combo, the translucent silver definitely provided the required colour and it flips nicely between yellows and green in the sunlight.

DSC_3254.thumb.JPG.f45a74c4492b000ee6d9112653d0063e.JPG

DSC_3233~2.JPG

DSC_3251~2.JPG

• Like 18

Yummy :)

Hard to see the effect on photo 

Subaru brat clear body

3 coats translucent pink  (1 too many)

2 coats silver 

05sguA8.jpg
21O2nPe.jpg

JJ

• Like 6

Cc01 Hilux, bruiser jnr. Ps37, ps15, Ps5. Paint scheme unashamedly nicked from @Nwc100 's Yaris. Looks a lot better in daylight

IMG_20210120_225142.jpg

• Like 2

Tbh I’ve also been using core RC paints as they have some great colours 

Durga in translucent orange 

heavy on the body backed in black

Qy1M6hz.jpg

Lighter on the wing and masked for a translucent section  

6DKxohV.jpg

Zahhak shark and candy

a very flat grey backed with white 

sAx9Sdw.jpg

the wing is fluorescent pink, backed in white, backed in the shark grey

frBXA1q.jpg

creates a candy pink

But still matches the body 

7sAAR6y.jpg

the 2 together 

h77VSFK.jpg

JJ

• Like 8

Fairlady Z :  Started with Tamiya Iridescent Pink/Gold..  then Tamiya Bright Red and finally backed in Bright Silver

FairladyZStance.jpg

• Like 5

Some of my cars are boxart, but I am also a fan of fade effects, which seem to work particularly well with PS metallic paints. Here are a few:

Baja King, metallic green faded to black.

2020-11-17_10-21-35

Hornet, metallic green faded to metallic blue then to black.

2019-07-21_10-43-25

Manta Ray, gunmetal faded to black. The front bit of gunmetal was backed with silver for extra shine, the rest with black. 

2019-03-30_09-34-46

Kamtec "Hot rod Beetle", metallic green faded to black, with the green sprayed thinly and backed with black.

2019-03-12_01-08-36

Protoform TVR Tuscan, metallic blue faded to metallic purple faded to metallic green, with a white stripe and wing.  

2021-01-21_01-05-50

Wild Dagger, metallic blue faded to metallic green with a metallic purple tonneau bearing a daisy motif.

2021-01-21_01-17-42

Fiat 500, metallic blue faded to black. 

2021-01-21_01-32-40

Rising Storm, metallic green faded to metallic blue faded to black. 

2021-01-21_01-38-05

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Problemchild said:

a very flat grey backed with white 

That's a nice gray! I've been trying to find a replacement for Tamiya's Corsa Gray (since it looks bluish), I hope you don't mind me asking what Gray did you used on the Zahhak? Thanks.

7 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

That's a nice gray! I've been trying to find a replacement for Tamiya's Corsa Gray (since it looks bluish), I hope you don't mind me asking what Gray did you used on the Zahhak? Thanks.

Core RC Shark grey :)

GozcPeL.jpg

JJ

• Thanks 1

first a recent shell custom mixed ford paint 4 or 5 layers with no backing  

IMG_20210106_162302.thumb.jpg.35bde5cab36b66ce4c054c985555f989.jpg

second custom mixed sparkle pearl purple 2 coats black first then about 5 or 6 coats of purple the 2k clear coat

IMG_20170705_163858.thumb.jpg.e31975f3c52902c1b8fa4cf043b8d589.jpg

3rd custom mixed purple to green  about 4 coats the a couple o of black backing

IMG_20170502_154549.thumb.jpg.2debabcdcde62bdc3ec44f8f7023c2b4.jpg4

4th custom mixed house of kolor  black first then the blue and to finish 2k clear

IMG_20180603_102521.thumb.jpg.9fc53f8b505c9b7f4b7619501829264d.jpg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Manta Ray, gunmetal faded to black. The front bit of gunmetal was backed with silver for extra shine, the rest with black. 

2019-03-30_09-34-46

Currently building Manta Rays with my 2 boys, and this gives me hope for making that shell look good. Nice job!!

• Like 2

Katsu orange GTR R35

This didn't end up the colour I thought, possibly due to the 5 yr old mixing my testers but more likely I went OTT with the translucent orange PS43, then a bit of PS36, a lot of PS19 camel yellow and backed with PS1 white.

I quite like the orange, it's also pretty close to the Katsura Orange that Nissan use, if you look at mine with one eye shut!

Body trimming and sanding and general neatness leaves a lot to be desired as usual! Tried out some masking and bits and learnt some valuable lessons, investing in a circular cutter for the arches this month as it's something I've found quite tricky.

I'll try and get some pictures in the daylight, it's also fitted with full light setup, just waiting on brushless from Japan and will be ready for a run before it goes back to gathering dust.

Next up Mitsubishi Evo X in some form of blue, going to try out some PS55 testers and see what I can figure out, definitely on a school day though this time!

DSC_3443.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

Katsu orange GTR R35

This didn't end up the colour I thought, possibly due to the 5 yr old mixing my testers but more likely I went OTT with the translucent orange PS43, then a bit of PS36, a lot of PS19 camel yellow and backed with PS1 white.

I quite like the orange, it's also pretty close to the Katsura Orange that Nissan use, if you look at mine with one eye shut!

Body trimming and sanding and general neatness leaves a lot to be desired as usual! Tried out some masking and bits and learnt some valuable lessons, investing in a circular cutter for the arches this month as it's something I've found quite tricky.

I'll try and get some pictures in the daylight, it's also fitted with full light setup, just waiting on brushless from Japan and will be ready for a run before it goes back to gathering dust.

Next up Mitsubishi Evo X in some form of blue, going to try out some PS55 testers and see what I can figure out, definitely on a school day though this time!

DSC_3443.JPG

lovely.

10 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

Katsu orange in daylight, Evo X begins tonight!

DSC_3476.JPG

DSC_3475.JPG

Mesh grille didnt turn out too bad either. Did you end up cutting the shell, so its just the mesh, or did you leave the body intact and treat it more as a decal ?

Also, since you already have a new shell lined up, and like to keep on trying new colors and approaches, i noticed you're stil using window decals ..... can i interest you in some PS-31 Smoke window tinting on the Evo :) hahha

@Ryz82 I left the body intact and used the 3d printed mesh on it, it's ok but the silver I used around the grille I put on way to thick in the cold and it ran under the masking! Hence the silver extending into the bonnet! The 3d mesh is quite handy although a little hard to cut out using the original decal as a template as they are precut.

I've got some PS31 already and tried a bit but again I think it was too cold when I used it!

Once the Evo is trimmed and the circular cutter is delivered I'm going to do some testers with the blue, I've watched a few videos using the flat clear on the inside so I may give that a few tests, although I don't think it will have the full effect I may find it easier than on the outside.

Have also ordered some R34 style wheels for the GTR for when it's on the shelf.

• Like 1

I really like the grasshopper2 body, and i have done a few different ones on various buggies, with the help of custom colour mci decals. I also developed 3 new decal sets with mci based on the "dress up" alternative decals you could get for the grasshopper2 junior. 

20200125_115501

2020-01-07_12-20-27 20190612_200327

20190322_155250

20170426_201515

I have a Thunder Dragon in neon carrot Core RC paint with custom colour decals

My Thunder Dragon

Neon carrot is a bit capricious and i have had a few duff cans. You need to be careful with it and back in ailver or white. 

Also recently did a Saint Dragon in metallic purple tamiya paint. Again, this needs patience and backing with solid colour, but it's great. Tamiya PS paint is by far the best polycarbonate paint in my experience. 

20200615_105349

To get complimentary colours for decals i use a colour wheel to see what would go together. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Also recently did a Saint Dragon in metallic purple tamiya paint. Again, this needs patience and backing with solid colour, but it's great. Tamiya PS paint is by far the best polycarbonate paint in my experience. 

20200615_105349

To get complimentary colours for decals i use a colour wheel to see what would go together. 

that looks a beaut...

i had my manta-ray that colour back in 1992 my first of many purple shells.

the pic is taken on a camera of the time so ain't that good but it gives you a idea

IMG_20190227_161159.thumb.jpg.68ae855431d060b6cefa3d50c913fb0b.jpg

• Like 2

Still a work in progress but the latest to the custom collection is this blue Evo X.

It's had 3 coats of translucent blue, 2 if translucent silver and then bright blue to back and would be finished with a coat of white except we've run out, couldn't wait to get more white so unwrapped it and then will remask it once we find some white.

Bonnet and roof had a coat of flat clear to see how it looks.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this colour, still need to work on masking and the hand painted details a bit, but practice, practice as I tell the little one 🤣

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Hi, can anybody advise me on replicating this Ford colour.

Ford Neuveo Red (metallic)

Looks like magenta (flat) but when the sun hits it its really shiny and the metallic shows through.

Pic here is in the sun.

20190825_101657.jpg

• Like 1

@Qed296

Love a Cossie!

That looks quite similar to my Yaris in the second post on here, I did mine with translucent red and then anodised silver and backed with black, the anodised silver could probably be swapped for normal silver to bring it closer to that Ford colour.

Might be worth getting the translucent red some silver and black and popping some tests down on some drinks bottles or off cuts to have a practice, I’ve done 4 bodies in translucent now and all have come out slightly different due to the amount of translucent applied and also the backing colour, I haven’t backed a red one with white yet but it would produce a less deep and rich colour and would be moving well away from that one you’ve got!

I’ve also seen on here pink backed with red which produced quite a similar colour! 
I’m no colour expert just enjoy the experiment so I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along!

Good luck be be sure to show us the results!

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look at your yaris and thought it looked very nice. 

I would rather have the Metallic look permanently if i had to choose.

Cheers for the advice, ill do some spray outs before I get onto the body for real.

This is Createx colors satin pearl gold mixed with fluorescent orange or transparent orange (i forget which now) backed with opaque white.

If I did it again I'd back it with a final coat of black to darken the interior.

20201022_174446 small.jpg

• Like 2