Nwc100

Custom colour thread

Wish me luck 🙏

Not overly impressed with the decals for the windows so decided to mask them as they should look.

Also thinking of doing a sunroof with smoke/tint/translucent just to add the extra detail.

WipeOut46_17_2021_104647.776000.jpg

• Like 1

Going to try and get every detail correct...abit of a tricky area to mask but worth it.....also the polycarbonate is so thin around the lower front air dam when I removed the mask it almost tore.....

20211018_214119.jpg

• Like 3

One thing i did forget to ask.....I've reversed the painting on the plastic parts with the ps paint....question...are folks using ps lacquer or normal acrylic or automotive lacquer??

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Qed296 said:

One thing i did forget to ask.....I've reversed the painting on the plastic parts with the ps paint....question...are folks using ps lacquer or normal acrylic or automotive lacquer??

Cheers

What do you mean by reversed ?

The plastic parts, I'm assuming you mean the ABS wings/spoilers and mirrors that may or may not come with the body ?

For those I typically go with the Tamiya TS paints, but have also used pot acrylics/enamels, or any aerosol paint from the hardware store depending on what color I'm after and size of the component.

I'm using Translucent ps sprays. From the forums I've found you spray in reverse......so on the polycarbonate body ive gone trans red, silver then black....(as posted previously when testing) so on the 3d printed parts I've gone black silver trans red....looks identical to the shell but lacks the shine....so do i use ps sprays as the final trans red is or will a normal no ps clear lacquer be ok?? I don't want a reaction aftwr all this work.

1 minute ago, Qed296 said:

I'm using Translucent ps sprays. From the forums I've found you spray in reverse......so on the polycarbonate body ive gone trans red, silver then black....(as posted previously when testing) so on the 3d printed parts I've gone black silver trans red....looks identical to the shell but lacks the shine....so do i use ps sprays as the final trans red is or will a normal no ps clear lacquer be ok?? I don't want a reaction aftwr all this work.

Ah, ok, sorry now I got you.

I've never clear coated my parts afterwards, so unfortunately I'll have to leave this to someone who has more experience with ABS/hard bodies. For the small number of plastic parts I've painted, I've never bothered.

I would suggest going a non PS clear coat, particularly if you want to get shine, since PS is designed to be painted on the inside of the shell, the shell of course then providing the shine/gloss. But again, I'll let some others with experience and maybe examples chime in.

If you have used PS paints on the plastic parts I would def stick with PS clear coat. Using normal lacquer or clear coat may well react. Tbh though I have always got a good shiny finish with PS paints on plastic with no need for a clear coat. I used PS Brilliant blue on my 1997 BTCC Laguna wheels and they came out with a high gloss shine 👍

James.

Thanks for that info.....when i did some other  its a while ago with ps full colour sprays not translucent the finish was good as you say.....wondering if the type of paint is whats giving it a matt appearance.

Finally got it re done.....really happy now with the finish. Added some wipers also, I've seen a few pop up on ebay with decals fitted that come with the kit and i think it was definitely worth the extra effort to mask the windows and the extra detail.

20211030_124136.jpg

• Like 9

@Qed296 that looks excellent, colour takes me straight back to my brother's Sapphire. I think he traded it in for a Scorpio in the end!

Core RC colour "white knight" & "glacier sapphire" backed with white.

My first custom paint-job! Getting back into RC after a 30yr break. Loved the DB01 build, my first belt-drive...

IMG20220607190915.jpg

• Like 2

My first custom paint-job! Getting back into RC after a 30yr break. Loved the DB01 build, my first belt-drive...

My first custom paint-job! Getting back into RC after a 30yr break. Loved the DB01 build, my first belt-drive...IMG20220607190915.thumb.jpg.6d5b9451cb478230ef03bcd74ddc2d1e.jpg

My first custom paint-job! Getting back into RC after a 30yr break. Loved the DB01 build, my first belt-drive...IMG20220607190915.thumb.jpg.6d5b9451cb478230ef03bcd74ddc2d1e.jpg