Jump to content
67CamaroSS

Any examples of PS-49 Metallic Blue Paint Jobs

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used this as a main color? What have you backed it with. Would love to see some examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im interested in this as i might need the info for a Sileighty if i can find the body for it. though a 180sx might be a fair substitute.

from my tests with metallic wine red, i found a silver backing did the best to show metallic flakes. a primer grey color (test patch) wasnt that bad but i find the silver backing had a tad bit more shine to it. a white made it  lose some of the metallic look and black just muddied up the color. i usually try a google search for the paints to get a decent idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black is the proper colour to back it with, as recommended by tamiya

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, taffer said:

Black is the proper colour to back it with, as recommended by tamiya

 

correct me if im wrong but most of the PS paints are translucent to an extent. i havent done too much painting RC bodies but ps-49 looks like a lighter blue rather than a darker one. from my limited experience  any color that isnt inherently dark or on a lighter shade will only get overpowered by the black backing. unless the ps49 has a very strong and solid color then the black will just over power it. if the light blue hue is to be preserved a silver sound better. a black can work if its the right amount, any more and it will overpower. it will take skill i admit to get the right balance with a black backing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my SB with PS49 when I’d just finished it a few years ago, not backed with anything, other than using the whole can, as I didn’t know that was a thing then, (pre TC day’s!!). It a lovely colour. It’s worn through a bit in places now but still looks very acceptable and has been run a lot.

F29FFC0E-9A40-4718-A281-210355950BEB.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nel33 said:

correct me if im wrong but most of the PS paints are translucent to an extent. i havent done too much painting RC bodies but ps-49 looks like a lighter blue rather than a darker one. from my limited experience  any color that isnt inherently dark or on a lighter shade will only get overpowered by the black backing. unless the ps49 has a very strong and solid color then the black will just over power it. if the light blue hue is to be preserved a silver sound better. a black can work if its the right amount, any more and it will overpower. it will take skill i admit to get the right balance with a black backing.

That's not correct.

I've used these anodised colours a few times, it takes very little skill.

Warm can,apply mist coat of blue, apply 3-4 coats of blue, normal coverage, not too thick, once dry apply black.

This will give the best effect.

The anodised paint is designed this way

It's not the same as translucent paint colours.

You shouldn't be using a whole can on a body so you can test on a cola bottle if you want to.

Tamiya state on the paint label to back with black

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it’s like the champagne gold.  Does look like much plain but when backed with black it really pops.

I was just hoping for a picture to verify this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search ps-49 (or any other colour) on showroom search will bring up examples

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, taffer said:

That's not correct.

I've used these anodised colours a few times, it takes very little skill.

Warm can,apply mist coat of blue, apply 3-4 coats of blue, normal coverage, not too thick, once dry apply black.

This will give the best effect.

The anodised paint is designed this way

It's not the same as translucent paint colours.

You shouldn't be using a whole can on a body so you can test on a cola bottle if you want to.

Tamiya state on the paint label to back with black

 

 

Thanks, I stand corrected. I haven't had a chance to use anodized color paints yet. I used a scrap lexan pieces to test out the combos ie the wheel cut outs and flat flanges. It ended up only being 2 door panels worth of surface to test what layer count I needed for all the colors I was using on the proper body she'll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used PS59 for my terra scorcher then backed it with metallic silver then PS5 black it came out so good and sharp I didn't put the decals on for ages! The avante I would like to say I could paint that colour but sadly it's the metallic special edition I got from Japan a few years ago! Looks amazing in the sun!

20200509_144716.jpg

20200920_161156.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mine but I really like this colour.  I'm just waiting to find the right body to use it on.

For backing I'd possibly do a couple of tests.  I've seen people try to back PS48 with silver before black and it didn't look like the chrome finish you get with just black backing.  PS49 would probably be similar.  Silver behind a metallic works nicely, as opposed to an anodized.  I'm not certain what the actual technical difference in the paint is.

s2YRHh0.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anodized paint colours are supposed to be backed with black.....BUT....it is up to the modeller to choose what effect they want. 

Generally speaking backing with a light colour lifts the front colour (visible colour of the model) and backing with a dark colour has the opposite effect. 

I have done both (lighter and darker) and it is interesting to observe the differences. 

I find backing with black creates a "candy" effect and backing with silver (for example) creates a more metallic effect. 

Just my thoughts on the subject. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone.  I understand how backing works and I've done the scrap testing before with other colors, but not this one. Since this color is twice as expensive as most other colors, I was hoping to bypass that step. I was really just looking for someone to say, "here is one I backed in silver [or black].  Blista, thanks for the pic. Looking at the rear of that body, looks like it was backed in black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moffman said:

I used PS59 for my terra scorcher then backed it with metallic silver then PS5 black it came out so good and sharp I didn't put the decals on for ages! The avante I would like to say I could paint that colour but sadly it's the metallic special edition I got from Japan a few years ago! Looks amazing in the sun!

20200509_144716.jpg

Is that seriously PS-59 Dark Metallic Blue? Wow it looks much brighter than mine, and I backed mine with PS-12 Sliver and then PS-5 black. 😯

AEzcdj6.jpg

Qb0f0gz.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it was PS59 but I have to say in that photo it does look a lot brighter than it actually is and I can't remember what exactly which silver it was? But I suppose silver is silver? If you look at the side near the front wheels that's how dark it actually is!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@berman The blue is absolutely amazing looking its the kind of colour I've been looking at for my next bodyshell, it will save me having  to knock out a load of testers trying to get that colour now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah it was PS59 but I have to say in that photo it does look a lot brighter than it actually is and I can't remember what exactly which silver it was? But I suppose silver is silver? If you look at the side near the front wheels that's how dark it actually is!

Only reason I mention is because my pics were taken in midday summer sunshine, and that's about as bright as it gets (in the above pic). Maybe the reflection on the polycarbonate is what makes yours seem lighter? I am unsure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...