Sparkyful

Update original MSC to ESC

Hi, I have recently found my old Monster Beetle and would like to update the MSC to an ESC because it doesn’t work properly - constantly over shoots and always has - but am unsure what’s required aside from the ESC itself? I still have all the original parts: Acoms Techniplus AP-227 controller with no 4 Crystal, Acoms IC ARC-227 receiver, Acoms IC AS-7 servos and standard MSC.

Do I need to replace any of these or other parts to make this work? 

Any help is welcome, thanks.

You just need an esc to replace the msc and the Servo. 

Literally any one will do :)

You .might need to change the cars servo saver splined adapter to suit the new servo if the splines are different , ie AS7 is 23 splines I believe , and a new servo maybe different ie 25 splines

Thanks. I've asked the seller how many splines his has. I hope I don't need to make anymore changes, I'm desperate to get it working and have a play …er, I mean let my son have a go!

3 hours ago, Sparkyful said:

Thanks. I've asked the seller how many splines his has. I hope I don't need to make anymore changes, I'm desperate to get it working and have a play …er, I mean let my son have a go!

It's not a big job - or expensive to change the servo adapter if you needed too , you need a P parts saver tree from eBay for a few quid which would have the parts you need .

It won't be long before you ( your son ) gets to drive it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-LUNCHBOX-PUMPKIN-0115065-P-PARTS-PLASTICS-Servo-Saver/231558541336?epid=1705371786&hash=item35e9f6f018:g:TfYAAOSwgApXBhMk

Okay, so all is up and running. New ESC installed and the old parts removed. However, now I have some a couple of new issues:

• it runs perfectly but much faster in reverse than forward (a common problem it seems)

• forward needs a pause and then a gentle start and runs more slowly

• the wheels spin but the tyres don’t!

Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure if the two pics help or not

8663CC2B-D181-45B7-B437-FA3F7B5AD3EC.jpeg

FE3B062D-F1C2-48AB-B146-BC6EDA38020B.jpeg

Swap the motor wires over - you have reverse as foreward . These are pre-set with foreward brake and reverse,with reverese being slower ,  you can see the diagram on the side of the ESC in your pic to show the positions of the battery type and also F/R , or F/B/R

The tyres need bonding on . I use GP silicone sealant so it can be removed easily for tyre changes . You can use C.A. glue but that is more permanent