Juhunio

Juhunio's Super Duper Astute. Er.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:17 AM, Juhunio said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Beautiful build! But I would wrap those wires with shrink tube or better, braided sleeves if it were mine. It'll turn out tidier and cleaner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Beautiful build! But I would wrap those wires with shrink tube or better, braided sleeves if it were mine. It'll turn out tidier and cleaner. 

Thank you! I’ve seen the braided sleeves used, probably in your beautiful builds 👍

I’ll give it a go.....what gauge are you using for servo / ESC wires? 

cheers, Matt 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Thank you! I’ve seen the braided sleeves used, probably in your beautiful builds 👍

I’ll give it a go.....what gauge are you using for servo / ESC wires? 

cheers, Matt 

For ESC wires, 6mm. For individual motor wires 6mm, for dual motor wires 10mm or 12mm. Then use shrink tubes for the ends of the sleeves to hold them.

Here's a servo I wrapped with a sleeve.

RrFgfJjh.jpg

:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

For ESC wires, 6mm. For individual motor wires 6mm, for dual motor wires 10mm or 12mm. Then use shrink tubes for the ends of the sleeves to hold them.

Here's a servo I wrapped with a sleeve.

RrFgfJjh.jpg

:)

Thanks! And nice work 👍

On 4/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, ruebiracer said:

Hi Juhunio,

you could also test a Penguin custom shell for the Tamiya Astute. I was heavily impressed of their quality on my Dyna Storm Repro shell.

There were some tiny spots with little imperfection, but fit and shapes were great. At least not as such tool prints as on the Kamtec...

I’ve got a Penguin Top Force shell on the way for a comparison 👍

They do an Astute shell (not SA), I assume it’s essentially the same as the SA and will fit ok? 

• Like 1

Operation Dismantle is complete :D

Initially getting the screws out of the round nuts I used instead of press nuts was a real head scratcher, they just kept spinning :wacko:

Eventually I worked out that if I squidged a big lump of blue tack over them with my thumb and pushed hard, it created enough friction to hold the nuts and allow the screws to release. Hurrah! B)

spacer.png

Then ran some CA glue around the edge of the new CF plates, ready for a little wipe-down and Operation Rebuild tomorrow!

spacer.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I’ve got a Penguin Top Force shell on the way for a comparison 👍

They do an Astute shell (not SA), I assume it’s essentially the same as the SA and will fit ok? 

Astute and Super Astute body are the same, just different stickers.:)

• Thanks 1

Operation Rebuild is complete! Have to say the Xtraspeed Carbon Fibre plates are excellent, really smooth and well finished, all the holes are drilled properly and accurately, all the countersinks are spot on

Also added a bit of braided sleeving to the servo and ESC wiring to the receiver which does make it all look a bit smarter  :)

spacer.png

I replaced the plastic spacer on the rear upper arm mount with a shiny blue 3mm spacer, and added blue ball nuts back there too

spacer.png

And left off the front and rear body mounts, as recommended by someone earlier in the thread on the basis that screwing the undercowl to the chassis and then attaching the shell to the undercowl with the velcro provided will be secure enough

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just need to sort out a repro shell now :D

• Like 11

Wow, beautiful! Love the extra work you put into it @Juhunio! Wiring is supernice now, and the Xtra Speed parts look very cool! Can´t wait to see your ideas for the paint job!:)

Have fun,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Collin said:

@Juhunio Whats the thickness of the chassis plate? 3mm?

My callipers are reading 2.5mm 

I am just wondering, never had a Astute in my hands, but this single chassis, isn´t it so flexy?

On 4/5/2021 at 9:19 PM, Collin said:

I think they dont work on the Dyna Storm as it is, theymight be too long and will be pressed inside the outdrice cups. With longer arms (SAstute) it might work nicely. Someone need to find out. :lol:

Regarding the Top Force driveshaft mod, I tested it in my original Dyna Storm today, and it is perfect as in the SA!:wub:

Swapped the inner bearing for a 3mm wide version, and took an old TopForce drive shaft, and good to go! (and of course a pin type hex. It´s using all the space on full bump, so side to side play is nearly eliminated, but no need to worry in my eyes. 

But now I´m a little confused, as SA wishbones are longer? Maybe the wishbone mounts on the chassis and the diff width equal that out. No SA to compare to my Dyna...

But I thought, I share the verification here... @Collin

• Like 3

Cool!

SA 63,3mm
DS 67,7mm

All measured center eye to eye. But the clue is, DS vs Astute eliminate the difference with the use of the differnent drills/mounts at the rear hubs. In combination with thinner ball bearings it seems pretty much easy to fit them to the Dyna, very nice : )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Cool!

SA 63,3mm
DS 67,7mm

All measured center eye to eye. But the clue is, DS vs Astute eliminate the difference with the use of the differnent drills/mounts at the rear hubs. In combination with thinner ball bearings it seems pretty much easy to fit them to the Dyna, very nice : )

And if we are at it, we can fit then modern CVD´s much better than the old Top Force originals!:lol:

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, ruebiracer said:

And if we are at it, we can fit then modern CVD´s much better than the old Top Force originals!:lol:

Do you have any item numbers, aftermarket or Tamiya parts, for it?

9 hours ago, Collin said:

Do you have any item numbers, aftermarket or Tamiya parts, for it?

Tom, this was exactly my task yesterday. Topforce uses 70mm shafts, so they should be 100% identical from length to DF02/DF03/TT02B parts.

I ended up ordering a set Tamiya 53791 in Japan because it was a cheap offer. But you can get them for ca. 35€ at Tamico.Yeah Racing makes a version, too. And they improved their quality a lot the last 5 years. I was quite impressed with their Avante version, really bang for the buck and also steel version.

Item for DF02 is: "G45 UNIVERSAL STEEL SWING SHAFT FOR TAMIYA DF03 TT02B" from Yeah racing.

DF03-V15V2

Tamico doesn´t stock them at the moment, but should be available elsewhere. I opted for the TAmiya version first, for testing on my Dyna Storm Mid.;) After less than 10 battery packs, the Dyna disease already strikes and the dogbones want to chew up the outdrives. 90´s problems...

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 2

All of them are modern pin type axles, so we need to change the hex type, to keep that in mind. On my test fit with the TF ones, a touring car hex 4mm worked perfectly on my Dyna with the std. star dish wheels. No scrub on the knuckle, hex sits flush with the wheel hex housing.

• Like 1

Made a solid start on the body shell today. Trimming as usual with the trusty PC scissors, but my first time using a large sanding block for longer straight edges and some small hobby sanding fingers for smaller straights and rounded corners. 

spacer.png

Pretty delighted with how it turned out, the long front and rear edges on the wing are a nightmare just because of how tight the cut lined is to the edge, but the sanding block and fingers make a huge difference

They're keepers :D

• Like 2

First step of paint completed yesterday; undercowl and TTC cover in Smoke

spacer.png

I've decided to go for two paint schemes, one for running and one for the shelf. So far I haven't been able to track down an extra Tamiya shell and wing, so the shelf version will have to wait. It will be box art, using the kit decals

For the runner I'm going for something....different. Happy with how these two bits have come up...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm gonna do a couple of test runs today for the main shell. I've got a set of repro MCI decals, the intention being that it all works with the smoke covers and black wheels, but still maintaining a bit of that Super Astute 1980's vibe :blink:

• Like 7

Finally got the paint and stickering done, black paint to go with the black wheels but with a couple of coats of lame flake down first for that Super Astute 80's Disco feelin'...

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm pretty pleased with it :) With the reflective MCI stickers it reminds me a bit of Dazzle Ship camouflage 

Although that has now reminded me...the first album I ever bought with my own money (well, WH Smith gift voucher, but you get the idea)

spacer.png

Now that would also make for a good colour scheme...green paint, orange, grey and silver stickers. Hmmmm......might need another shell!

• Like 10

Tasty : ) Best built I have seen for long time.

Again about the chassis and flex. I have a custom built here,  kind of a  Dyna Storm, 2.5mm base chassis plate. its completely built but I removed the upper deck, now its more like the SuperAstute. But its so much flexing, you can bend it in all directions.

How does this work on the SA or would it make sense to make a carbon upper deck to give it more stiffness?

• Like 1

Great result on the body, I´m with @Collin, it´s so well and cool thought out! Like the lame flake black! Like an Autoscooter we drove as kids.:lol:

And in the same way, it´s also modern with the sleek silver/black tweak of the original decals!:wub:

Could be a special Tamiya edition, like it very much!

• Thanks 1