kwkenuf

Tamiya Portals in custom rig?

Has anyone used the portals from the Dynahead or Trail Beetle in a custom build?  I have some ideas for a build in my head, and using portals for just a little more ground clearance is part of that.  I can buy full portal axles all day long, but those only seem to be solid axles.  I would like to go independent suspension.  Just curious if anyone had a build that I missed and could go check out.

I haven't done this, but have been thinking about it for a while.  From the looks of it, the portals should bolt right up to the TA01/TA02 arms, in which case would make my Hummer just that much more realistic.  Not sure if they will actually fit, but after looking at them no reason they wouldn't  As far as other chassis not sure, hopefully someone has done it and will post up.  

I think I have a couple of spare portal cases if anybody would like them. You could use them to do a mock up to see if it could be done?

4 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I think I have a couple of spare portal cases if anybody would like them

found them. They are both the non steering type. You end up with a spare set if you put 4ws on the dynahead

11 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I haven't done this, but have been thinking about it for a while.  From the looks of it, the portals should bolt right up to the TA01/TA02 arms, in which case would make my Hummer just that much more realistic.  Not sure if they will actually fit, but after looking at them no reason they wouldn't  As far as other chassis not sure, hopefully someone has done it and will post up.  

I’m working on something like this with my MF-01x right now! Posting the pics on my thread for the truck in a couple minutes.

After seeing your thread I'm confident these will work on a lot of Tamiya chassis (inluding the TA01 I want to use them on).  Too bad the best way to get them is by buying an entire MB TR or Dynahead kit.  Would be a cool upgrade for my Hummer, but not $250 cool...

They bolt right up to a TL01, imagine they could work fine on a TA chassis with a bit of fiddling. I picked mine up on TamiyUSA, they were blowing out Tamiya Trail Beetles on the cheap....robbed the portals from the kit, built the beetle with the left over parts, and plan to sell it eventually to make some $ back.  

20200525-150204sm.jpg

• Like 1

I realize now that my thoughts on my custom build might need more thought.  I plan on building my own Clod chassis, and with that I figured after that I might tackle doing a CC01 chassis.  It just slipped my mind the CC01 had a solid rear axle.  I am going to look at the TA and TL chassis you gentlemen have given as examples, and see if some parts are feasible to be used in a custom chassis.

If you are wondering, I have in my mind to do a scale build with a Clod body, similar to the style that Mad Ax did his F150.  I just thought I would try to do a custom CC01 based chassis.  But, more thinking and planning is required.

The Beetle Trails are on TamiyaUSA for $169, and are in stock, and I thought of picking one up, just because.  The solid portal axles I was looking at are $120ish all day long.

Oof @OldSchoolRC1, that looks good.

Portals would really make my TL01 Bowler a bit more capable, it can't cope with the rough ground that my Dual Hunters can with their bigger tyres and longer suspension arms. 

Which means it can't cope with my back garden!

3DD88C3F-4A28-4B75-BB84-C63171CA99BF.jpg

• Like 1

You definitely want these for that rig, rbis is my Jimny in 3 stages of build, stock, longer shocks and big tires, and all that, but with portals😉

20150927_172603_zpsjuwbootv.jpg

001(11).HEIC

001(202).HEIC

I did look through the Dynahead manual and get all of the part numbers for the portals a while back, but most parts were unavailable.  The housings are around, PN 19115480, but haven't been able to find the gears available anywhere.  

3 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I did look through the Dynahead manual and get all of the part numbers for the portals a while back, but most parts were unavailable.  The housings are around, PN 19115480, but haven't been able to find the gears available anywhere.  

That’s why I bought the MB Tr,  everything in the box for $180 shipped, plus I can still build it as a GF-01 and may only need the front uprights since I had to use those on the MD-01x chassis.