Tudorp

Old Futaba Radio help

Hey guys, I have this vintage Futaba FP-T 2F that I acquired awhile back. I would like to marry it to my original SWB Wild Willy. Opening the back, I assumed I would find a battery compartment and connector. There is a space for a battery I assume the lower section, but there is no battery connector. I removed the top board figuring it might have been tucked away and hiding up there under the board, but nope. These were powered by an internal battery correct? And if so, where should the connector be wired to? Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for one of these so that I can add a connector for a battery? I assume it has been cut or broken out. I can not see a spot where there was one soldered in. Has me scratching my head. 

20210122_084730.jpg

20210122_084750.jpg

That transmitter looks like it was heavily modified. Perhaps to accept external battery and maybe connect to a different antenna. They drain 8x AA batteries in few hours and the antenna gives you light shock so that might be the reason why it was modified. Also the original board on yours seem to be re-soldered so who knows what's happening there. I hope someone here can id what those modifications are and give you a solution. This is how an original FP-T2F looks like, you can see that the original battery tray fills the whole space underneath the board and there are no outlets.

fgh.thumb.jpg.883842f1efd7dd2c9fe5ddc12a471df6.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.0f9fe862c2dd396a45b696403b015980.jpg

7 hours ago, Tudorp said:

20210122_084750.jpg

This is a serial port. Might it be it hase been attatched to a PC or Atari or Commodore?

I did notice that mine had an additional board in it that I have not seen other ones. I was wondering what they could be. Maybe it was used  as a joystick for some video game? No telling. I got it with an original Wild Willy project I picked up on ebay a few months ago. It has the receiver for it that was also in the Wild Willy along with a monster of a beast ESC that was way too big to fit inside the chassis so they have it bolted on the back of the body. It was a crazy set up, so there really is no telling. I wonder if I can reverse engineer it and remove all that crap in it and put it back to the way it was. I would like to use it with my other original SWB Wild Willy. If I could find a wiring schematic for it, I probably could. 

I just pulled that secondary circuit board out,  and yes, it seems to be a computer parallel port (like the old printer ports). I just  need to find a wiring diagram for the Futaba so that I can put the wiring back the way it is supposed to be. 

• Confused 1

I checked the manual and there's no diagram or any information about wiring. Does your board still have the original battery connection wires ?

No, it does not have the battery connector or wires to the battery connector. 

any way I can get a good picture of the board on yours with the locations of the wires to the battery connector? That would help tremendously and be appreciated. 

Sure thing, do you want me to just remove the original board and picture the back side ? I'm clueless about electronics.

yes, the component side if you can. There should be enough play in the wires to lift it enough to get a pictures. I especially need the solder points where the battery wires go. Thanks, that will help a lot. 

I hope these help, battery wires connect to the middle slots on the caramel candy. Let me know if you need different angles.

4234234.thumb.jpg.36d96e22efb4bbd60244ce89be7430ea.jpg

111.thumb.jpg.64192f771cff69312cdf2ba1c627c1b6.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.4672f2a4a3e444e4ed0b85ad203f4163.jpg

That is perfect. Thanks, this helps tremendously. I think these are all I need to remove all the wire harness from that mod, and replace the battery plug. Thanks again brother. I will keep you posted. 

BTW, do you know what voltage battery this takes? How many cells? I think it takes an 8 cell battery case but not totally sure. 

Thanks again for your help with this project. 

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. The original battery tray accepts 8 AA batteries. I have no technical information, couldn't find anything in the manual as well.

I hope you can get it to work and use with your Wild Willy.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:59 AM, Tudorp said:

BTW, do you know what voltage battery this takes? How many cells? I think it takes an 8 cell battery case but not totally sure.  

if memory serves, the T2F had a battery 2x2x2 cradle that held 8AAs with a insertable dummy cell spacer, futaba style plug

fed by 7 alkaline AAs (use the insert) or 8 nicad AAs

optional Cadnica pack of 8AAs that connected direct to the power plug

• Like 1